4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile "Orange" Rummy Nose?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was at Seaview today and came across this fishes... labelled as "Orange Rummy Nose".

They were priced at S$15 for 5, which works out to S$3 each. This is more expensive than the usual Rummy Nose fishes that they also sell in the regular display tanks.

On closer inspection, i noticed these fishes have alot less red coloration on their noses (maybe because of stress in the bag?), but i could see more orange tint on their nose and bodies (doesn't show as much in the photo though).

Is this a new variant? I asked the staff there and they said its a new fish, different from the other Rummy Nose.

Any fish species experts here can check them out and see if they are indeed a new variant? This will be very interesting!
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Orange" Rummy Nose?

Might be a selectively-bred rummy nose tetra strain but it's difficult to tell from the faded colors.

There's only 3 recognized species of rummy nose so far, Hemigrammus rhodostomus, Hemigrammus bleheri and Petitella georgiae. If they are not a new strain, then the closest matching one should be Petitella georgiae, otherwise known as false rummy nose, because they show very little/subtle red color in the head.
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 6th Aug 2013 at 21:38.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Used to have orange rummy nose which I bought from a lfs about 8 years ago. Anyone can remember a lfs by the name of gratola if I remembered correctly. Ran by vic and vincent.They sell exotic fishes and plants. Never seem orange rummy nose in the market after that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I still prefer the XL ones. Looks better than the smaller ones when full grown.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting... i did some searching online and came across a few sites mentioning about a "Golden" variant that is apparently selectively bred for the aquarium trade. Here is a photo from Seriously Fish site:

Source Link: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ammus-bleheri/

Perhaps this could be the variant that local suppliers refer to as the "Orange" version, since the gold and orange body coloration could look similar.

Quote Originally Posted by sammajor View Post
    Used to have orange rummy nose which I bought from a lfs about 8 years ago. Anyone can remember a lfs by the name of gratola if I remembered correctly. Ran by vic and vincent.They sell exotic fishes and plants. Never seem orange rummy nose in the market after that.
    Cool! Glad to know that someone has actually kept this variant before!

From your experience, did their bodies become a noticeably orange (instead of silver) once acclimatized to a tank? Any other differences from the usual Rummy Nose fishes, other than the body color?
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are these in xl sizes or normal ones?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    Are these in xl sizes or normal ones?
    The Orange Rummy Nose fishes in the pack were around 3-4cm in length, doesn't seem full sized yet... probably juveniles or young adults.

Not sure about the XL or normal size labels, i always thought that just indicates their stage of growth (ie. LFS separate each shipment for sale based on size/age, bigger/older = more expensive, smaller/younger = cheaper).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nope. In seaview, there is the normal ones. Full grown about 2cm. The ones from jb. Full grown can reach about 3 to 4cm. Its a noticeable difference.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nope. In seaview, there is the normal ones. Full grown about 2cm. The ones from jb. Full grown can reach about 3 to 4cm. Its a noticeable difference.
    Wow, i didn't know rummy nose have different size variants too... i always thought they will all grow to standard 4-5cm length when adult size (from what i've seen in friend's tanks).

If there are normal ones which only grow to 2cm max, then i'd definitely be keen to get a school of those versions for my 2ft tanks, they wouldn't grow too large and look out of proportion.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I still prefer the bigger ones. Because their redness is much more visible compared to the smaller ones. Seaview has them. They usually bracket them with JB or indicate L or XL next to their names. If im not wrong their about 1.20 each

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I still prefer the bigger ones. Because their redness is much more visible compared to the smaller ones. Seaview has them. They usually bracket them with JB or indicate L or XL next to their names. If im not wrong their about 1.20 each
    Yeah, i saw those tanks too. Like you mentioned there are 2 tanks of them, one had a XL label and the other didn't have... was walking to and fro between those tanks and the pack of Orange variants trying to compare them.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Was there earlier. The packet still there.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sammajor View Post
    Was there earlier. The packet still there.
    Apparently they have more, probably still in their quarantine tanks behind the store... when i enquired with the staff about those fishes, one of them asked me how many i want so he can go behind and get some more to pack.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My mistake, these are bleheri. Should be the type selectively bred for the coloration, as per CK Yeo's picture. If anything, these were just selectively bred for a different shade of red.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Was at Seaview today and had a look at the pack of them again too, looks like the same pack is still sitting there, and the bag seems abit deflated already... its already 5+ days and those poor fishes are still stuck in the small bag of water.

Surprisingly they still look active and alert, are these fishes considered a relatively hardy species?
    www.urbanaquaria.com