Country
    Singapore

UG - or Uticularia Gramma

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys

Has anyone tried tying UG on branches etc instead of sticking it into the soil?
    Wondering if anybody had any complications or maintenance issues?

thanks for your advices in advance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: UG - or Uticularia Gramma

Saw a farm tying to wire mesh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mkt,
    I have UG (Utricularia Graminifolia), not sure if it is the same you referring to. I have tried sticking it into the substrate in a high tech tank but all melted. But it survive (in substrate) and flourish in my 20 litres low tech office tank, with no CO2 and fertilizer added, a 5 shrimps tank with 2 badis and 2 tetra. What i have gathered is that, UG do not seems to need high light in order to grow. It is in fact a very slow growth plant. To me, it is almost a maintenance free plant in low tech. Not cheap though for a small patch. Initial melting is a not seen in my low tech tank but high tech tank, it melted. Not sure what causes the melt down. Any experienced aquarists can share some insights please?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks mr jee

It survived in mine and florishing - very thickly- however there's too much on the soil and i need to trim it ( which seems like a waste ) or stick it on branches just like moss which i am trying.
    Looking at the tropica website it appears to be what they are doing - although it's more for shorterm photographic satisfaction than longterm maintenance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mkt,
    I have a question on UG. Does your UG looks like those in bright green and look very "healthy"? In my low tech tank, although it started sprouting runners and all, it does not seems as green like those i would see in forums and websites. And after a while, the older leaves will turn lighter in shades (due to malnutrition)? And do you need strong current in your tank for it to flourish thickly?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thinks stronger current works when they are matured - that will prevent debris and algae from collecting.
    But as I don't have any wave makers or extra pumps in the tank i just shake them during water change.

Mine is bright green very healthy and about 4+ inches thick ( before i mowed them) there's no melting or browning ( yet)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mkt,
    Can i know what is your water changing regime? weekly? Are you able to share your fertilization regime? I also want to have a carpet like yours...4 inches thick...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mkt,
    I have no success for UGs on my high-tech tank. They melted after a week or 2. Could you share what your tank water PH and temp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi mrjee, atham
    weekly half tank water change
    0 - <5 ppm nitrate
    24-25 C temperature
    6.4 PH
    CO2 + Hilight mostly mossess and bolbititis tank + Palustris p+ various rotalas

when initially planted it melts due to transition from ermersed - after that it begins to grow like weed just like the HM or MM

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mkt
    thanks for your info. might give a try again.