Country
    Singapore

Plant ID needed / Question on HC

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Appreciate if someone can help me ID my plants in my one week old tank.

Plant 1:

I am quite certain this should be Limnophila aromatica based on references online. The bottom part of the plant is more purplish/reddish while the new shoots/leaves are bright green. I am just wondering if I have 2 variations here (bigger leaves and smaller leaves) because both close up during evening time and both have the jagged leave edge upon closer inspection.

Top view:

Side View:

Plant 2:

This is a crypt but can anyone tell what is the exact species? I got it from C328

Plant 3

Totally clueless about the ID of these 2 plants behind the rock. I wonder if they are the same as I came across a thread on someone commenting on a similar looking plant like this that grows differently in emersed and submerged form.

Side View

Top view

Plant 4

Is this a dwarf sag or a Echinodorus tenellus?

Plant 5 & 6

Need to ID these 2 plants which are placed side by side. For the plant with the darker and slender leaves, I observed some black and white patches on the older leaves. Anyone knows the reason for that?

Side View

Top view

Plant 7

No plant picture but this small foreground simple looking plant I got was labelled as such.. can anyone make out the proper spelling?

Question

The HC which I am using to create a foreground carpet seems to be doing well. Despite a small portion which melted away, they appeared to have grown. However, quite a few bunches are actually growing upwards instead of sideways with the tallest close to 1 inch. Should I be trimming them to encourage sideway growth? If so, when should I trim it? Given that they are just over 1 wk old in the tank, I am afraid the trimming will stress them out.

Last edited by Xanavi; 11th Aug 2013 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant ID needed / Question on HC

That is not a tenellus but I am not sure is it a dwarf say either. Plant 5 & 6 right side Is bacopa family

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Here are the ones i can help ID so far:

Plant 2 : Should be Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Green"... though you'll have to see how it grows to know for sure, in more intense light it can sometimes turn red-brownish.

Plant 3 : Left one should be Rotala Wallichi, right one Rotala sp. "Nanjenshan"... those are emersed leave at the moment, the new submersed leaves will be much thinner and finer, eventually you'll have to uproot it and cut off the bottom emersed leaf section and replant the new submersed leaf section.

Plant 6 : Should be Barcopa Caroliniana, the leaves wouldn't change much when submersed, very nice stem plant.

Plant 7 : That would be "Staurogyne", very nice easy to grow plant, can use for foreground (just trim regularly to keep it low and replant the tops to create a carpet) or mid-ground (let it grow taller naturally and trim less).

As for your HC, its a good idea to regularly trim it so that the lower leaves are not overshadowed (or else the bottom leaves may turn brown and the top part end up detaching). If the HC is growing vertically more than horizontally, it might be due to not enough light reaching them (perhaps another plant or hardscape blocking the light).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 11th Aug 2013 at 21:40.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For plant 7, it should be Staurogyne repens. The packaging looks familiar, did you bought it from Seaview?
    3ft Planted Tank Specs.
    1.5ft Reef Tank
    3.5ft Reef tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nope, I got it from C328.