Country
    Singapore

Modification of glass jar

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,
    recently saw the terrarium, vivarium... quite nice.. so wanting to do one in my office....

currently I have bought a decent big glass jar at japan home sunplaza for $6.90 (real pic to upload later).

glass_jar.jpg

I was thinking to do something like this except is fully cover with water... can I call aqua scape?? I am not sure too...

dum_dum_scape.jpg

Therefore I hope to keep maybe 2-4 shrimps... I will change the water manually every tues and thurs in office.. what I am lacking now is light... My office doesn't allow any personal gadget to tap their power source therefore, I come out with this idea...

glass_lid.jpg
    20mm_fan.jpg
    wind_led.jpg

combine all this into

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Modification of glass jar

continue....
    glass_jar_modify.jpg
    raw_view.jpg

therefore, hopefully my dum dum eastern island statue will going into this eventually..

b2347bb2dd87af0285a2648e220d2138.jpg

The fan will be power by battery/usb...

The concern
    Survival or shrimp; I will be throwing oxygen ball and every tues to thur I will change water.
    Fan will be 5v therefore should be able to use battery or usb to power..
    If using usb power; how should I let the wire out if the lid is to be close?
    If using battery; will it be too expensive?
    Will the wind power strong enough to generate energy for the led light?

Any other concern should I be take into consideration??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

do you have table lamp in your office? you can use that.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    do you have table lamp in your office? you can use that.
    Right now don't have... but I can buy a usb lamp and put beside the glass jar...

I am just wondering by closing the lid and on the fan, will the fan generate more heat or will it cool down the temperature within the jar...
    Last edited by felix00; 13th Aug 2013 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you can try rechargeable battery Li-ion 12v pack for the fan and lights.
    How are you going to cut the jar to fit the fan?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    you can try rechargeable battery Li-ion 12v pack for the fan and lights.
    How are you going to cut the jar to fit the fan?
    Nope, I am going to fit the led on the fan and the fan will fixed to the top of the lid(keep a ceiling fan)...Totally enclosed...

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the "wind powered LED light" is not very powerful and will flicker/may not work is your wind is not strong enough(designed for cars)... I have 4 pieces...lol

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    the "wind powered LED light" is not very powerful and will flicker/may not work is your wind is not strong enough(designed for cars)... I have 4 pieces...lol
    Bro you installed on your car?? else.. can lend me one to try? Because if 20x20mm fan wont work, maybe I will get 40x40mm fan... but still 5v... not sure will it have any impact...hahaha..

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix00 View Post
    Bro you installed on your car?? else.. can lend me one to try? Because if 20x20mm fan wont work, maybe I will get 40x40mm fan... but still 5v... not sure will it have any impact...hahaha..
    Haha bro, you might as well get a USB powered light for lighting up purpose. I already installed on my car... can't remove without damaging stuff... frankly speaking, it is not very bright..

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

why not get those qoo10 selling laptop light? spectrum might not be right, but the one I got sure is bright, but I thrown away already, you can go take a look there

so I'm being a prick going around warning people for SMS lingo, let's put it this way: I got infaction for it once, and I'm sore about it, and I'm making more people joining me with infaction points. problem?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Right now don't have... but I can buy a usb lamp and put beside the glass jar...

I am just wondering by closing the lid and on the fan, will the fan generate more heat or will it cool down the temperature within the jar...
    Just curious, any particular reason why you'd need to close the jar? For a terrarium, a closed jar is usually meant to keep the inside humidity high for certain emersed plants... but since you are planning to use it as a mini aquarium filled with water, then actually no need to cover it.

I'm thinking you were to put a fan inside with lights and the space is enclosed, the evaporated water would just condense inside the jar (might condense in the fan motor too) and its just circulating the same air inside, with the heat from the fan motor, the overall temperature inside the jar might probably end up warmer than outside.

Btw, since you can rig up some power connection to a PC fan, maybe can just get those PC fans with inbuilt LED lights, something like this?

Photo from google.

The LEDs wouldn't be very bright though, but should be okay for viewing the contents of the jar.

Actually, if you were to be using easy low-light plants and mosses, the ambient lights in your office could already be sufficient. Air-con in the office would also keep the water cool, so probably no need fan too.

I had a similar cookie jar setup on a bookshelf at my office a long time back too, with just some snails and cherry shrimps, it had a thin layer of gravel with lots of java moss as the "carpet bed", and stalks of hornwarts to decorate it, lasted for more than a year with just the ambient room lights and occasional water change, super low maintenance habitat... all the inhabitants still alive and active when i eventually decommissioned it.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 13th Aug 2013 at 17:39.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

before anything, what plants do you intent to place inside?

if moss or low requirement plant, office lights enough. if you see signs of the plants reaching for light, just let them bask near to window during your lunch.

cooling via fan is good if your tank surface exposed to air is good...i think not worth it to go forward with a fan.

btw, fully sealed right. don't. forget to leave enough air inside.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

You need a fairly strong wind for it to work, definitely not with a normal dc powered fan.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

by the way, your office should be air condition right? does fan necessary?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh thanks all for the advice... i was planning ahead.... if i happen to change work place or bring the jar home... True, it might condense and spoil the motor...
    i am try to keep in compact and simple...all in one so if i were to transport it, then will be more convenient. The light is just for decoration purpose and the fan is trying to cool down the temperature..

therefore 5volt case fan can link to battery and usb...if use battery, then confirm all in one.. if use usb, i will save money but i will have to figure how to line the cable and close the lid...

wongce : since you have it, i trust you... cos even a car travel minimum 20-40km/hr... how can a 5v fan fight with it....
    FrozenDuck : do you have a specific item in mind? as i not sure which one will be "super bright", all claim to be super bright...haha..
    Urban Aquaria : if i remember correctly, any case fan with led will need 12volt to operate, so battery and usb will be out...
    felix_fx2 : i will go for super low tech plant... java moss,Echinodorus tenellus,Hygrophila Polysperma,Bacopa.. around there bah... have anyone use oxygen ball before??not sure if it works.. ya, i think seal up better...but i will make it a point to change water every tuesday and thursday...
    qngwn : ya, will forgo that idea...
    Shadow: fan not a need...thought it will be good to have a fan and light to make it complete set and portable on the go...

Anyone try before underwater light?? like this?? also decoration purpose...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Urban Aquaria : if i remember correctly, any case fan with led will need 12volt to operate, so battery and usb will be out...
    Yeah, i forgot about the voltage issue, i guess its possible to mod those PC fans to use USB but have to go through the hassle of soldering resistors and all.

Btw, i did a quick search on google for "USB Fan LED" and found quite alot of gadgets which have LED lights and fans on separate flexible stalks but both powered from one USB port, maybe can see if they are useful to mod for your setup.

Something like these:

or this...

Photos from google.

The one with the LED light bar might be usable for a small and shallow low-tech desktop shrimp tank too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

your dear usb port from pc supply around 5v 500-1000ma.

pc fan can run undervoltage, will run slower. but need to see the individual fan requirements. (you can compare those termaltake, silverstone, artic cooling google it should be able to find)

btw, kindly watch sms lingo usage.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Urban aquaria : thanks for the help in recommendation..
    Felix_fx2: I will take note of it. Tried to remove some during drafting but overlook some.Sry about that. Won't be doing up the fan since it's not a plus point for the setup...
    Thanks all..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

erm, being nice i have already told you above not to use sms lingo.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

oh... sorry*.... think too used to it... i will remember to proof read and post the message.