Country
    Singapore

Glosso for the inexperience and ignorant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I have planted glosso along the frontage of my 4ft tank for about 2 months. The glosso does not seem to creep very much, they prefer to grow up.
    I have trimmed and re-plant the trimmed Glosso onto other empty spaces. They grew, but will also not grow horizontally, but seem like it prefer to grow verital.

I have 4 tubes of flourcent lights on for about 10hrs, CO2 at about 3-4bubbles per sec. I also have about 1cm of fertilzer (yellow tub) topped up with common aquarium sand, about 1 to 2 mm size.

Can anyone enlighted me?

Thanks.

MS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    care to let us know your tank's parameter like Wattage, tank size,etc. do use the info sheet. that will help us to give u suggestion.

cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Could be your lights...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    You also need to train the glosso to grow creeping. When you see the glosso growing vertically, trim it. The glosso will send out side shoots and they usually stay creeping.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice. I have trimmed once and re-planted these onto empty spaces. I long to see the day when all my Glosso grows until I cannot see the gravel.

As for the lights, I have 4 tubes of Florescent lights and it is on for about 10hours, with 45mins break somewhere during midday. I was told that this would discourage Algae growth.
    I used to go without the break, and I have just started this new routing for 3 days. Need to monitor the rate of Algae growth.

Thanks again.

MS

i left mine alone. first they grew upwards, then when they are tall enough, they decided to bend sideways, with new roots growing along the stems, then started to creep. but the creep rate is slow. however, good for me cause i am lazy to trim and replant them all the time!!

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

HI ms,

need to know your wattage of your 4 fluroscent light. Glosso needs good light or else it grows upwards.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gee, that's why I titled this posting as ignorant. I do not know what is my wattage. I bought the setup from Nature A. The lights are 4ft long Atman. But the actual Florescent tube is less than 4ft as they do not go all the way to the end of the light holder.

When I bought the lights, I got Mr Chan to change it to Hitachi, he told me that it is brighter. I do not know what is the wattage.

All 4 tubes are on about 10-11hrs every day with a 45mins break inbetween. Water changed 35% weekly, add liquid nutrains at every water change. I mixed the Sera (yellow bottle) and some ?? (white bottle with black cap), recommended by Chan.

CO2 is about 3-4bb/s. The base fertilizer is about 1cm thick (yellow tub ones) covered with about 5 to 25cm gravel from sloping up from front to back of tank.

I noticed that the Vallisneria at the back of the tank is spreading shoots very fast. The Ricca I tied on my log wood is also getting thicker by the day.

I just want my Glosso to grow horizontal.

How?

MS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    i have very good success with glosso with high light. did you check if your co2 might be a tad high. Over injection tends to make the glosso leaves long and start to make the new shoots of glosso grow vertical. hmmm, if your lights are new i cant figure out a way of how come your glosso grows vertical. Another thing i tried making a glosso carpet for my other tank using the sera base (yellow tub one u talking abt) and it tends to grow upwards, but that tank has a wpg of abt 2.2 only. My full glosso tank is almost running 4wpg and using jbl fert with 2bps of co2. Maybe its the base? I'm not too sure.
    Cheers
    Bryan

To my knowledge it is all about the light intensity with all other things being equal.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,
    I think the light intensity is good. Please look at my tank pictures that I have taken last night and let me know your opinion.

http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/msconnman/my_photos

Thanks.

MS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    anyone know wats the name of the plant similar to glosso but only have a single leaf instaed of two?
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    MS,

Hi, are your 4 tubes in two separate casings? If so, you can move the one of it nearer to the front where your glosso are. This way they get direct illumination, another thing is that you may try to clear or move some of the longer or taller plant leaves/branches that are blocking the light.

BTW, Nice tank you have!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, total 4 lights. 2 in each housing. I cannot move the light housing as they are supported by fixed plastic stand about 5" above the top of the tank.

I'll do another round of trimming tomorrow morning and replant them into empty spaces. My aim is to have the front completely covered with Glosso. Maybe them I can show you the progress.

I have some green spot Algae on the front of my tank. I heard that I could reduce the Algae by adding PO4?

Can anyone let me know where can I buy these?

Thanks.

MS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a4b7bf7ccc="Cacatuoides"]anyone know wats the name of the plant similar to glosso but only have a single leaf instaed of two?[/quote:a4b7bf7ccc]
    i think u are talking about the single spoon-shaped leaf plant? Marsilea family i think.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:79a47a0898="ms"]Hi All,
    I think the light intensity is good. Please look at my tank pictures that I have taken last night and let me know your opinion.

http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/msconnman/my_photos

Thanks.

MS[/quote:79a47a0898]

not enough light.

your's is 4×2ft yes? most likely you have 4×36W FL (normal flourescent) which gives you only 144W. I have 108W in my 3×1ft tank and the glosso did splendidly.

one possibility is to get Nature (you bought your lights there right) to exchange or upgrade your lights to 3×55W PL per housing which will give you 330W in total. That would be much better. Also suggest to be daring with your CO2.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica