Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Impression of the Maxspect Razor 420 120watts LED (8000K)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My Impression of the Maxspect Razor 420 120watts LED (8000K)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I did some research into LEDs.

I have to disagree about the ratio thing. The temperature and frequency of the LED is important. Every plant reacts and needs a different temperature and frequency of light. Its a popular belief that all plants like a certain frequency and temperature, but thats not true.. its true, however that "alot" of aquatic plants react to a limited range of temperature and freq.

Effective LED lights cater for a broader range of temperatures and frequencies and makes sure to cover (and emphasize) the sweet zone.
    In the case of razor, its very good in the sense you can adjust the temp and intensity of the light. making it ideal for a hobbyist to experiment.

So before one gets a off the shelf LED, you will need to understand what you are getting. not all LED lights are equal.
    Don't be like me..
    Go in, see wattage, see got blue LED and go GAGA.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Effective LED lights cater for a broader range of temperatures and frequencies and makes sure to cover (and emphasize) the sweet zone.
    In the case of razor, its very good in the sense you can adjust the temp and intensity of the light. making it ideal for a hobbyist to experiment.

So before one gets a off the shelf LED, you will need to understand what you are getting. not all LED lights are equal.
    That's true... when i started buying LED lights, i was randomly buying all those that were actually not designed for growing plants, many were actually made for marine tanks or just for viewing fishes, so although the wattage seems high enough, the mix of spectrums were not actually suitable for planted tanks, end up the plants don't benefit as much and encourage algae instead.

Luckily now there are more and more companies coming out with mass market LED lights that have spectrums specifically tuned for planted tanks, so it makes choosing the right ones much easier.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My Impression of the Maxspect Razor 420 120watts LED (8000K)

Are we now back to the CRI issue again and or color temp?

Because the last time I was into it....well... there were a lot of different views and I left it as that...

Wattage is a measure of intensity of the light set in question and different kind of light set of the same wattage produces different intensity.

CRI or color temp range is about the wave length range of the light set in question regardless of its intensity.

Both are just as important which was why I asked Henkel the reason behind have his A channel at 40% and his B channel at 60%. The net effect in terms of intensity is 50% but by doing so, he has altered the CRI and or color temp of the Razor. This means in a nutshell that it's no longer a 8000K but something else.

So in this sense I agree with both of you. UA is focusing on intensity while Erctheanda is focusing on CRI and or color temp.
    Last edited by David; 2nd Oct 2013 at 23:38.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

In reading the last 5 posts, I suddenly don't feel alone anymore. Going by UA's notes, I think David's 36% for me is as close as a best start. Temperature theory by Erctheanda highlighted my insanity in doing 40warm/60cool for planted.

2 weeks ago, twice the greens. This is the result of poor judgement, torn down and dying greens.....

As you can see above, a lousy camera has its advantages.

I probably would give this crap another month or so before I say its last prayers and start all over again. Next time, 36% will do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Henkel....your tank is beautiful....what's wrong with it? You got hit by greenwater once. Just UV till clear and change the filter wool. If you want to be double confirmation, UV another week.

Your Polyspemer looks fine.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Iooking at your tank, Indica may have been nicer?
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your tank looks great! Don't be so hard on yourself bro.

Algae is our best friend. Too many best friends is not good for you. But cannot do without it.

Back to the topic.

So, any consumer advice? Buy? Don't buy? Wait for another version? Wait for sale? What's the verdict?!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No need to tear down. It can recover....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My Impression of the Maxspect Razor 420 120watts LED (8000K)

Verdict is that any aquarist looking for a mid range LED, the Razor recommend, I would.

Don't under estimate it's ability. Maxspect made it in 30cm, 60cm and 90cm is for a reason.

The right one to by is corresponding to the tank length. In Henkel's case, a 60cm Razor would be more than enough.

As for the channel percentage, if one is not an advanced aquarist or just want to Keep It Simple, leave it at equal percentage and correspond the intensity based on a 1.5 watts to 3 liters of water as a starting point and bump one's way up till an optimal point is reached for photosynthesis.

For me, I use the percentage just for sunrise to sunset to moonlight play with the TP (Timing Point).
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragements. The picture doesn't tell, it is really an algae disneyland in there. Recently the algae have new partners in detritus worms. Perfect. Compounding matters, recurring GW. But at least that is easy to taser with a UV. Biological suicide due to plant decay, rich soil and way too much light in the begining, beyond repair.

Ok Stop nagging.

The Razor is really one very good machine, prospective owners must be as good. I also know that the smaller 120W version does not come with ceiling mounts, so in case you intend to hang it. And yes it is fun to play with the TP, I have mine going something like this: TP1 08:00 1%, TP2 10:30 1%, TP3 11:00 36%, TP4 19:00 36%, TP5 19:30 1%, TP6 23:00 0%. Hope I'm not inviting yet another bewilderment here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It's okay...we all have been there before. More importantly is are there any photosynthesis at 36%

Perhaps a new thread so others can contribute?
    Oh yes David, forgot to tell you that I'm also quite keen to find out if there any life at 36%. Didn't have the time to observe yet as the timing clashes with work hours, and partly also difficult to bring myself to stare at the misery. This weekend will be good to investigate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

David, just to ask a noob question, how do you know/find out the optimal point is reached for photosynthesis? No algae or pearling or what ?
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Henkel...the 120watts does come with ceiling mount. Your TP points looks fine...just that why are you not doing it so that it coincides with your after working hours?

@bennyc...there will always be indicative signs of photosynthesis by the release of O2 bubble strings and or pearling. Through my experience with the Razor with the standard stand, a 60cm height tank should be starting around 70 to 75% while a 45cm height tank should be around 40 to 45%

The above is about the guideline as a starting point based on the right sizing of the Razor to tank, meaning a tank of length of 60cm to 75cm should be using a single 60cm Razor, a 90cm should be a 90cm razor, a 120cm should be a 2 x 60cm. There will always be variations as they are dependant on the plant mix. As for myself, I am currently pushing at 73% as I am trying to increase the rate of growth for my DHG (Dwarf Hair Grass) which I can sleep for two months or so just to see coverage of the foreground...
    Last edited by David; 5th Oct 2013 at 02:26.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Henkel...the 120watts does come with ceiling mount. Your TP points looks fine...just that why are you not doing it so that it coincides with your after working hours?
    Sorry for the misinformation, indeed mounts are included. Plants have much shorter working time than me, by the Razor's last TP6, I'm not even home yet Btw, at 36%, I could not see any photo going on, guess I would have to raise it slowly in future.

In any case, I have just switched off all life support, co2, lights, chiller etc. David, I would like to express my deep appreciation for your thread, schooling and encouragements (not forgetting others too), now I know how to use my Razor properly for my new start. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am so sorry that you are restarting your tank? I understand how you feel because it happened to me as well.

Push forward. Don't give up and I am sure you will get the balance right.

I wait impatiently to you new setup.

PS: start at 38% the next time round and ensure that your TP is adjusted to when you are home from work. Do this by setting the clock backwards by 2 hours to 3 hours.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=David;744523]I am so sorry that you are restarting your tank? I understand how you feel because it happened to me as well.

QUOTE]

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=Henlek;744567]
    I am so sorry that you are restarting your tank? I understand how you feel because it happened to me as well.

QUOTE]

HAHAHA, is there a LIKE for this post? PLUS 1 from me!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so max razor is really cutting your tank off huh ?

Keep tunes on your new coming tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=Henlek;744567]

QUOTE]

That is the SPIRIT.....I be right here waiting to see your new setup....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Henlek, thought I share my experience with you since our specs are pretty much the same.

My tank's dimension is 70X45X45 and I am also using the 160W version of the Maxspect.
    Substrate: ADA Powersand special S, Amazonia and Powder
    Ferts: Seachem potassium, trace and iron
    My lighting schedule: TP1 05:00 0%, TP2 10:00 0%, TP3 11:30 60%, TP4 19:30 60%, TP5 20:00 5% 0%, TP6 23:30 0% 1%
    Distance from water surface 30cm.

Tank was started from scratch about 2.5 weeks ago. So far have conducted 5 water changes of 50%, not every other day as recommended by ADA, too much of a hassle. Mainly slow growing plants consisting of tridents, bolbitis, anubias nana petite, various cryps and pinnatifida. The foreground plants are a mix of HC, staurogyne repens, Japanese hairgrass, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and tenullus. The only plant that is growing like a weed is probably only the tenullus.

Main form of algae that I am experiencing so far is the hair/thread algae that's clinging on to my fissidens and hairgrass. Haven't gone to the extent of engulfing my entire tank yet but it is starting to be an eye sore especially on my fissdens. Still comtemplating how to get rid of them, probably going to physically remove as much as I can and dosing with excel.

Hair/thread algae on my fissidens

hair algae1.jpg

Present state of tank

Day 20 1.1.jpg

Probably will have to solve my hair algae issues soon before it gets any worse.

Good luck with your new set up! Cheers...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast