Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help. Green Algae

Help. Green Algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Finally all the BBA have been clear from my tank. But Now got another problem. Lots of Green Algae on the tank glass.

Think it is green spot algae. Have try to scrape it off and done water change but it comes back in about 4 days. Have try to reduce the Dosage of NO3 and PO4 but not working. Have check the the parameters and all seems O.K.

Any advise ?

Tank Dimensions (LxWxH): 90 x 60 x 45
    Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 194
    Type of Lighting (FL/PL/MH) : PL
    No. of Hours your light is on: 9 hrs
    CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : 11 and above (SUMP TANK)
    Type of CO2 (DIY/Liquid/Tank) : Tank
    Method of Injection (e.g. Diffusor/Reactor): Reactor
    Substrate Used : Dennerle
    How Thick is your base fert : 1 cm
    How thick is your gravel : 6 cm
    Liquid Fertilizers Used : Lushglo
    Frequency of fertilization : 2 x week
    Tank Temperature : 28
    Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister) : Sump Tank
    Filter media used : Biohome
    How long has your tank been set up : 6 month

Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
    ---------------------------------------

Carbonate Hardness (kh): 9
    Total Hardness (gH): -
    PH : 6.8
    NH4 (ppm):
    NO2 (ppm):
    NO3 (ppm): 25mg
    PO4 (ppm): 1mg
    Fe (ppm):

Bioload (Your Fish and Plants)
    ------------------------------
    40 Tetra, 6 algae crew, 8 shrimp
    Hairglass, Glosso, lily, Starglass, some crypts and some stem plants.

Describe your problem :

Green spot algae

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Maintain CO2 content. 20-30ppm during illumination

Add more PO4. Keep adding more weekly until situation improves.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore
    steven I had exactly the same problem with u. After war with BBA now spot algae. According to the forumers u need to add in more PO4.Now still having war with them. Not sure when it will end.

Re:

[quote:51a3bace74="barmby"]Maintain CO2 content. 20-30ppm during illumination

Add more PO4. Keep adding more weekly until situation improves.[/quote:51a3bace74]

Hi Bro Barmby,

Will increase the Dosage and see if works. I have added a Phosphate remover from seachem as my PO4 level is pretty high almost 2mg. Is this the problem. I have remove it last night and will start to dose abit more PO4.

Thanks & Cheers

Re:

[quote:e64d842c79="blurrblurr"]steven I had exactly the same problem with u. After war with BBA now spot algae. According to the forumers u need to add in more PO4.Now still having war with them. Not sure when it will end.[/quote:e64d842c79]

Sigh... at least I can still scrape it off unlike the BBA !!!!!

Will start the war against Green spot algae tonight.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How much NO3 are you adding weekly? Try to maintain or lower it. Scrape off the existing green spot right before the water changes. Then increase PO4 dosing bit by bit and you should see reduction in the rate that the green spot grows. You can usually see the effect within days. It shouldn't grow back as fast as before. Also, remember the weekly water change to remove excess buildup.

Re:

[quote:22b52c108e="victri"]How much NO3 are you adding weekly? Try to maintain or lower it. Scrape off the existing green spot right before the water changes. Then increase PO4 dosing bit by bit and you should see reduction in the rate that the green spot grows. You can usually see the effect within days. It shouldn't grow back as fast as before. Also, remember the weekly water change to remove excess buildup.[/quote:22b52c108e]

Hi Bro Victri,

I am adding 1/2 teaspoon of NO3 and 2 rice grain of PO4 2 x weekly. + 12ml of trace.

you mean that the PO4 should be increase bit by bit every dosing ?

I am doing a 50% water change every week.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Follow what Vic said. After scraping, go in with water change. CO2 level increase to 20-30ppm, add back the NPK followed by TE.

Observe the response. Addition of PO4 by each week. Not everyday or as & when you feel like.

It works for me. Water change, adjust & add back the nutrients. Do it religiously on a weekly basis.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The key thing is that you should know the amount of each chemical you're dosing. That will be very helpful when you need to adjust. Try to adjust dosing amounts in small increments. As for the intervals, I split my dosing to 2-3 times per week.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, I have the same problem with Green Spot Algae.
    What is PO4? Where can I buy this and how to input this into the tank?

Thanks.

MS

Re:

[quote:ae2f9cb7="barmby"]Follow what Vic said. After scraping, go in with water change. CO2 level increase to 20-30ppm, add back the NPK followed by TE.

Observe the response. Addition of PO4 by each week. Not everyday or as & when you feel like.

It works for me. Water change, adjust & add back the nutrients. Do it religiously on a weekly basis.[/quote:ae2f9cb7]

Hi Bro Barmby,

According to the calcuators, I am almost hitting 42ppm for CO2, but I think it should be ok as mine is a sump tank and the CO2 lost is quite high.

My weekly water change is doing on evey Thursday so tonight will be scraping the tanks and resetting all the parameters.

Have added the PO4 last night and after 2 hours alot of the plant started bubbling. Think there is a shortage of it in my tank. Will get another testkit as the SERA I am using is very difficult to read the colours.

When you said NPK what does it stand for ?

Cheers

Re:

[quote:4479e1943b="victri"]The key thing is that you should know the amount of each chemical you're dosing. That will be very helpful when you need to adjust. Try to adjust dosing amounts in small increments. As for the intervals, I split my dosing to 2-3 times per week.[/quote:4479e1943b]

Hi Bro Victri,

Yup those are recorded down and follow during each dosing. Same as you, I have split my dosing into 2 times a week.

Will be doing a water change tonight clear the Green algae. Will be redosing with a 4 rice grain of PO4 tonight instead to 2 and monitor for the next few days.

Cheers