Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Algae eaters

Algae eaters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

I encounter beard & spot algae bloom. I intend to get some algae eaters. I have some in mind. Hope you guys can share more details such as effectiveness of the algae eater, the cost and where to get it. I live near CCK. Thks in advance, Have a nice day.

1)Otocinclus

2)Siamese algae eater, SAE

3)Lemon algae-eater

4)Chinese algae-eater

5)Pencil fish

6)Florida Flag Fish

Cheers
    Nick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Algae eaters

These are my experience with algae eaters :

1)Otocinclus - I find Oto good for removing debris on leaves and soft algae I keep a few mainly to keep the leaves clean

2)Siamese algae eater, SAE - Only eat my mosses and compete with other fishes for food. No more SAE in my tanks !

3)Lemon algae-eater - I find this one good for cleaning spot and soft algae. I keep one in each tank.

4)Chinese algae-eater - I thought this is the same as Lemon Alage Eater

7)Zebra Snail - This is so far the best spot algae remover but they have a habit of wondering out of the tank and die of dehydration

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Algae eaters

Here's my view on those I kept before:

1) Otos - Hardworking. Does not eat fish food. Great for keeping the leaves and tank walls clean. 99% of them are gentle. But some develop a taste fo the slime on discus and this irritates the discus very much.

2) SAE - Eats BBA when they are younger. But when they are adults, they eat more fish food. Keep one will do if you want, whatever your tank size.

3) CAE - Like Otos. But can be more aggressive towards Discus. Will be very difficult to remove as they swim very fast.

4) Pencil Fish - I don't notice them eating any algae in my tank.

Conclusion: I would recommend Otos anytime. You forgot that snails are also very helpful to keep algae under control. Also important is that you keep a nutrient balance in your tank and algae will have lesser chance of blooming.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore