Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to let Riccia Fluitans in bubbles.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to let Riccia Fluitans in bubbles.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Experts,

I love Riccia so much. It's growing well in my tank. But it doesn't have any bubbles at all. Can I know how to let Riccia in bubbles? Thanks...

Details:-
    Tank size: 48x22x22 cm
    Co2: 2Bs/sec
    PH: 6.5-7
    KH: 4D-5D
    Temp: 22-28C
    Light: Yes (BEAMSWORK - Power LED 300 (55x0.06W) 45cm Light Set

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to let Riccia Fluitans in bubbles.

what filter are you using? pearling is only achieved whennm the tank is very saturated with O2 and CO2. another way to make a plant Pearl is to get stronger light I believe. most of the tank with pearling that I've seen so far, all has few things in common, strong light, color temperature around 6500k, and a canister filter

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lights, your beams work model won't suffice

sent from tapatalk

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi your light is not powerful enough.

See my post for info.

http://theplantedtankblog.blogspot.s...ted-tanks.html

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenDuck View Post
    what filter are you using? pearling is only achieved whennm the tank is very saturated with O2 and CO2. another way to make a plant Pearl is to get stronger light I believe. most of the tank with pearling that I've seen so far, all has few things in common, strong light, color temperature around 6500k, and a canister filter

Hi FrozenDuck,
    I'm currently using the mini filter that attached with the tank. It has Hi and Low speed options. I switch it to Hi speed currently.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

+1 on light source. I used super bright 15x 1w per led lamp on my feet height nano tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Hi your light is not powerful enough.

See my post for info.

http://theplantedtankblog.blogspot.s...ted-tanks.html
    Hi Wonce,
    Thanks for your information.
    I did 80% WC last night. This morning I saw little amount of small bubbles attached on riccia.
    In this case, do I need to upgrade my light to T5 (as per article you provided)? Another thing is, does T5 may cause high utility fee? So sorry for my stupid question. Coz I don't have much experience in planted tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
    Hi Wonce,
    I did 80% WC last night. This morning I saw little amount of small bubbles attached on riccia.
    In this case, do I need to upgrade my light to T5 (as per article you provided)? Another thing is, does T5 may cause high utility fee? So sorry for my stupid question. Coz I don't have much experience in planted tank.
    watch your SMS lingo.
    for light, get led, good one would be green element evo led, higher end would be razor.
    I used t5 previously, no pearling but plants doing good, now changed to led for that pearling effect

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
    Hi Wonce,
    Are the bubbles there once you switched on your light or after a few hours? If it is the former, it could be due to bubbles trapped during your water change. If it is the latter, did you add fertilizer during water change? It could be the fertilizer and your lightset is good enough. I do agree that a stronger lightset makes pearling visible. I changed from 2 to 4tubes T5 lightset and the pearling of my flora occured after I changed the lightset to 4 tubes.

I think it all boils down to the wattage of your light. I have seen tank with plants pearling with LED lightset. Maybe you may want to add one more LED lightset. I used T5 because my budget is lower.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lights. As long as you have enough light, you will see riccia pearling.
    Doesn't matter if have co2 or not.
    Trial and tested.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed, do increase your lighting and definite will see it pearl. Also if your flow around that area is very strong, it is unlikely that you will see pearling effects as any amount of bubbles that come out will be 'blown' away.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

helpful members already answered your questions

Light must be sufficient wattage...T5HO,LED,PL all works but it comes into details like wattage,photo period, colour spectrum, distance between light to plant.

T5HO is high output, yes it consumes more electricity.

as per mentioned by QW, flow of filter sometimes will blow the tiny pearls away before you can see them, off the filter for a while helps you to see better...

Pearling only occurs when 0² is saturated in the water..so it takes time..approximately around 1-2 hours depend on the numerous conditions as stated in my blog

lastly pearling is just eye candy...lol

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It would help a lot if you turn off your filter in order to achieve pearling of ur riccia.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hann View Post
    Are the bubbles there once you switched on your light or after a few hours? If it is the former, it could be due to bubbles trapped during your water change. If it is the latter, did you add fertilizer during water change? It could be the fertilizer and your lightset is good enough. I do agree that a stronger lightset makes pearling visible. I changed from 2 to 4tubes T5 lightset and the pearling of my flora occured after I changed the lightset to 4 tubes.

I think it all boils down to the wattage of your light. I have seen tank with plants pearling with LED lightset. Maybe you may want to add one more LED lightset. I used T5 because my budget is lower.
    Hello Hann,

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes.. Those bubbles disappeared after few hours when I switched on the light. I also didn't add any fertilizer too. I'm thinking of changing my lightset to T5. But heard about LED lightset will save more costs on utility charges. Beside that, T5 may also raise up the temp of water (Because my fish tank only 22cm depth). Is that true?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hello,

you can increase your light, that plays a major factor as its a fast to bubble plant (and float for some).

t5 tubes can replace. this is the good point as led lower - mid range models do not offer . the Achilles heel is heat & bills might be a few dollars more.

heat from t5 is mostly due to eballast being on lightset. led also has heat.

led, higher start up costs for models that is powerful enough to really grow plants. or rather pearl your plant in question. major drawback is if faulty how? some offer exchange only if 3+ led faulty, as i just mentioned above only some models can replace the led easily. heat is lesser abit, i recently converted also as influx of more consumer friendly prices or mid range models..
    Last edited by felix_fx2; 20th Aug 2013 at 18:35.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."