Country
    Singapore

Peltier Cooler Chiller unit

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Even though with so many negative inputs for TEC Chillers, I would like to share with you guys mine that I just built. It's sensible for my case as there were some deciding factors that I put into thought. Factors like space constrain, noise level, tank volume (20 litre tank), thrill/satisfaction of doing a DIY and etc. Finally, weighing the pros and cons I decided to build one. With no influence at all this is strictly a self satisfaction project, improvements along the way if things doesn't work out or starts failing.

For those who think you can neglect or ignore the cons of this Chiller and have interest to build one, feel free to PM me discussion/improvements would be cool.

I had yet put it in use cause my tank is not ready yet.
    Will update power usage, temperature dropped, time took to hit required temperature from ambient temperature in tank and other info.

Oh yeah, Plug it on for about 5 mins or less and check out the condensation.

Cheers!

AQ Chiller 01.jpgAQ Chiller 02.jpg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Peltier Cooler Chiller unit

Quote Originally Posted by Energion View Post
    With no influence at all this is strictly a self satisfaction project, improvements along the way if things doesn't work out or starts failing.

For those who think you can neglect or ignore the cons of this Chiller and have interest to build one, feel free to PM me discussion/improvements would be cool.

I had yet put it in use cause my tank is not ready yet.
    Will update power usage, temperature dropped, time took to hit required temperature from ambient temperature in tank and other info.

Oh yeah, Plug it on for about 5 mins or less and check out the condensation.

Cheers!

AQ Chiller 01.jpgAQ Chiller 02.jpg
    Good to hear someone finally did it with open eyes to pro and cons.

strictly a self satisfaction project
    Someone sound really "high" now.

Hope to see details of real world usage reports soon, be-sure to compare it against those ready to buy peltier coolers that are on LFS shelf.

God speed
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You might want to post how much you spend on each module. In my opinion TEC Chillers is attractive solution for small 30cm tank or smaller.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Really appreciate the replies.

Kindly see attached for the components that I bought and how much it cost.

AQ Chiller 03.jpg

All in all I hit my budget of a unit less then $200.... $30 left for me to drink coffee.
    Of course if I were to buy all components it most probably hit more then $200 but less then $250.

Hope you guys enjoy,
    will post up the parameters when I start using it.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So you still going to use the aluminum water cooling block?
    Is there a design sketch that we can see?

Hi can you teach me how to connect temperature controller with the peltier? I have that one but i cant connect it. Thank you.
    Sory for my bad english

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    So you still going to use the aluminum water cooling block?
    Is there a design sketch that we can see?
    Yeah, still going to use Aluminium block. I did asked my ex-lecturer, advice given was that since the water is running through a canister filter before going into the aluminium water block, chances of dirt getting stuck would be very very slim and water acidic level wise he advised that the water block will at least be able to withstand corrosion or yada yada~ for minimum a year or 2 years. Judging by the price of one from Aliexpress, I can afford 1 new block every year! hehehe.
    If it works, Great! hehehe... If it doesn't... find something else better to replace.
    Never say die!

Nope, I do not have a sketched design. Plan necessary components, lay them together, find the position ok, mount it permanently. One of the cool thing bout this unit is that the mounting of the components depends on how your water tube goes, where your canister is located. It is actually a pro cause conventional chillers has fixed position inlet and outlet. So for space constrain as a factor, TEC custom chillers has an upper hand.

In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend anyone to use this on 2ft or larger tanks. 1 thing for sure is if you have space for those kind of tanks most probably you have space for a conventional chiller. Mine is just 20 litres (L50 x B18 x H22.5cm) so its .

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dzingz View Post
    Hi can you teach me how to connect temperature controller with the peltier? I have that one but i cant connect it. Thank you.
    Sory for my bad english
    Would you mind showing me your unit and also your temperature controller circuit diagram?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Hope to see details of real world usage reports soon, be-sure to compare it against those ready to buy peltier coolers that are on LFS shelf.
    It would be better to have this TEC chiller running the whole year instead of a few month as the real test is when we encounter the hot period. That would be the ideal real world usage. Unlike the so called ' expert ' who did not read and recommended a TEC for a 3ft x 2ft x 1/1.5/2ft tank. Found out that the so called expert went into another forum to garner support.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...-your-chiller/

His blog-

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.sg/2...-chillers.html

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.sg/2...eef-tanks.html

I hope this is not another nick of the same person as Skyjuice or Techno123 or even Skyjuice123 from that forum. Multi-nick is not condone in this forum.

Anyway, what is your tank dimension Zerofighterx101 ?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dzingz View Post
    Sory for my bad english

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
    Google for STC1000 Diagram.

The live goes to the adapter that is powering the TEC unit (of course at the same time need power up the heatsink/fan).
    The rest should be shown on diagrams.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    It would be better to have this TEC chiller running the whole year instead of a few month as the real test is when we encounter the hot period. That would be the ideal real world usage. Unlike the so called ' expert ' who did not read and recommended a TEC for a 3ft x 2ft x 1/1.5/2ft tank. Found out that the so called expert went into another forum to garner support.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...-your-chiller/

His blog-

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.sg/2...eef-tanks.html

I hope this is not another nick of the same person as Skyjuice or Techno123 or even Skyjuice123 from that forum. Multi-nick is not condone in this forum.

Anyway, what is your tank dimension Zerofighterx101 ?
    Aww, come on~ Don't do this to my thread.... like I already say, for own satisfaction, read up and weigh the pros and cons, only recommend for smaller tanks..... different person....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have to be sure. If you are not the same person, why get upset?
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

he small tank still not so bad.
    but he knows it's not going to be worth it for larger tanks.

good if someone does it for diy kicks , posts power usage x temperature x water volume for a good span of time.

i strongly agree that reports should not be 1month/week and if possible go through the hotter period.

ts, no need take it hard. bfg only don't want another case of "tec better then compressor chiller ANYTIME' type of person. this thread if you done it well, can reference for those small tanks where buying a compressor based chiller will make not make great sense. (im pointing to tanks like lumiq and those 1-1.5ft ones)

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is possible to use peltier for bigger tank but running cost will be very high due to lower efficiency.

Quote from wikipedia: "Thermoelectric junctions are about 4 times less efficient in refrigeration applications than conventional means (they offer around 10-15% efficiency of the ideal Carnot cycle refrigerator, compared with 40–60% achieved by conventional compression cycle systems (reverse Rankine systems using compression/expansion)"

In other word if it take 1/10hp (280 W chiller) to cool 3ft tank, it with take 1120 W peltier to have the same chilling power based on wikipedia article above. The running cost does not make any sense. However, maybe in near future some bright scientist come up with new material which improve efficiency... bla..bla..bla, just keep you mind open for the possibilities.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have to be sure. If you are not the same person, why get upset?
    Do I sound upset to you? I don't think stereotyping people is right ya. He might be correct with his theories.. you are no PHD in this yourself.. btw, I didn't bother to read his theories.. too long... too boring...

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    ts, no need take it hard. bfg only don't want another case of "tec better then compressor chiller ANYTIME' type of person. this thread if you done it well, can reference for those small tanks where buying a compressor based chiller will make not make great sense. (im pointing to tanks like lumiq and those 1-1.5ft ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    In other word if it take 1/10hp (280 W chiller) to cool 3ft tank, it with take 1120 W peltier to have the same chilling power based on wikipedia article above. The running cost does not make any sense. However, maybe in near future some bright scientist come up with new material which improve efficiency... bla..bla..bla, just keep you mind open for the possibilities.
    Trust me, when I started building this chiller I didn't give a dime to efficiency or "how much it will safe me in terms of power consumption" or comparing it to conventional chiller. I just wanted something that will perform my required task which is chill my 20 litre tank to below ambient temp by 6-7 degrees. Too much details is just not fun anymore.

Anyway, there is always something to pick on everything. My advice is find something suitable to the need and stick with it, I did tried to use conventional chiller but LFS tells me "oh your tank is small, use Fan it will bring down temperature or we don't have such small HP chiller." wasn't even being entertained.....

One of the main reason why I posted here wasn't to tell people I built a TEC chiller for less then $200 running with this and that efficiency (yada yada...) comparing to how much you spent on your conventional chiller this and that (yada yada...), I'm posting to share with the people here that there are other alternatives to chill your 20litre tank if any LFS tells you to use a fan.

It wasn't very easy to swallow when I was told to use a Fan cause tank small, don't have so small HP conventional chiller after spending quite a bomb and effort on buying the tank & ehiem canister filter, decorating it. Just because of temperature I am not going to have shrimps. Had to do something!!

Hehehehe.. anyway, I will still post up data when I start using... won't be going too heavy into it though. Like I said in my previous post, for those who CAN ignore/neglect negative feedbacks on TEC chillers! let's discuss!!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Energion; 23rd Aug 2013 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

what is your tank?
    Speaking on that, Pretty tank pretty cabinet DIY cooling... in words i would tell my closer friends. RAWR!!

anyway, alibaba got some not just condensation but got freezing. powered by 4 TEC.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anyway, there is always something to pick on everything. My advice is find something suitable to the need and stick with it, I did tried to use conventional chiller but LFS tells me "oh your tank is small, use Fan it will bring down temperature or we don't have such small HP chiller." wasn't even being entertained.....
    Unfortunately there is no compressor type chiller for small tank. The smallest I ever see is 1/20. You can get ready to use pertier chiller but then spoil the fun of DIY
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hehehe this is my tank 20 litres (50x18x22cm)

That is my shelf... no space for anything else..
    The chiller I built just nice can put beside sleeping Buddha on top of the hifi set.

AQ Chiller 04.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do I sound upset to you? I don't think stereotyping people is right ya. He might be correct with his theories.. you are no PHD in this yourself.. btw, I didn't bother to read his theories.. too long... too boring...
    Check your attitude. Yes I admit I have no PHD qualification and your educational level might be higher than mine but there is no reason for the childish snide remark. We moderators are the care taker of this forum and we do have to keep this forum in order. Usage is free for anyone in the community be it rich or poor, educated or not. We welcome anyone who has the intention to learn or even provide an avenue of keeping the hobby going through other means. However, we do not appreciate members who are rude and condescending. The way you started this post already caught my attention. From reading a particular thread, you assume your topic subject is not favored.

Hi guys,

Even though with so many negative inputs for TEC Chillers, I would like to share with you guys mine that I just built.
    I checked as far back as 5 pages and did not find a lot of DIY chiller thread before yours. There were only a few existed in this DIY section. Who is stereotyping who now may I ask?

Aww, come on~ Don't do this to my thread.... like I already say, for own satisfaction, read up and weigh the pros and cons, only recommend for smaller tanks..... different person....
    You sound upset to me, or at least unhappy.

Anyway, we do welcome you sharing ideas and such as it would benefit the whole community but check your attitude at the door please if you don't mind.

Thank You.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Check your attitude. Yes I admit I have no PHD qualification and your educational level might be higher than mine but there is no reason for the childish snide remark. We moderators are the care taker of this forum and we do have to keep this forum in order. Usage is free for anyone in the community be it rich or poor, educated or not. We welcome anyone who has the intention to learn or even provide an avenue of keeping the hobby going through other means. However, we do not appreciate members who are rude and condescending. The way you started this post already caught my attention. From reading a particular thread, you assume your topic subject is not favored.

I checked as far back as 5 pages and did not find a lot of DIY chiller thread before yours. There were only a few existed in this DIY section. Who is stereotyping who now may I ask?

You sound upset to me, or at least unhappy.

Anyway, we do welcome you sharing ideas and such as it would benefit the whole community but check your attitude at the door please if you don't mind.

Thank You.
    Well I am sorry for trying to share with the community something interesting. I am also sorry you had step in all high and mighty assuming I am someone you had beef with in some other previous post, hijacking the thread with some goofy guy's theories and links, asking if I was upset when I feel offended of you jumping into conclusion and hijacking the thread, calling me childish & rude for making my personal felt remark which then became education level something?!?! and stating very clearly you are a moderator and what a moderator suppose to do.

Junior member here, I wouldn't dare disrespect a moderator like you.

Hope my attitude was good enough for you now ya.

Btw, I am not here for people to favour the thread or anything. It's more of a thread for people who is keen to use Peltier coolers.

Thanks.

Cheers~

PS: Since now you made sure I am not the goofy guy you are talking about, you might want to let me be as I am sharing info to the community and not making a nuisance. Peace out~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast