Country
    Singapore

singapore riccia?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    http://www.tropica.com/go.asp?article=471

I saw this webbie and i thought it would be a good idea to share. I thought riccia can only be found in Japan? why is there a singapore, thailand riccia? and since they are all riccia and they share the same scientific name, why are some not suitable for aquarium?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: singapore riccia?

Where did you get the information that riccia is found only in Japan?

Anyway, riccia is a cosmopolitan (i.e. worldwide) species. This also means that populations in different regions will have adaptations that fit their local environments (like this species called Homo sapiens which comes in many colours, shapes and sizes). I am sure some populations are more suitable for aquatic culture than others as a result.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh. riccia is not only found in Japan? because i read somewhere that riccia is native to japan. Thanks anyways.
    P.S. Is anyone growing singapore riccia here?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I don't think it's possbile to differentiate Singapore or foreign riccia here, at least in the LFS. The plants are all mixed up in the farms. Only if you actually collect from the wild can you be sure.

Native means "found naturally in X country". It doesn't mean found ONLY in X country...... if one refers to a species that is e.g. found in the wild ONLY in Japan, one says the species is endemic to Japan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh. so if riccia is native to japan mean that it can be found naturally in japan and also some other places, Am I right? And you mean the ones we have are a mixture? And is mini riccia, riccia from other country or totally another kind of plant?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Yes, native means "Originating or growing in a certain place or region", but necessarily ONLY in that place.

I personally don't find Tropica's classification of Riccia convincing. A species can exhibit variations by region, but those found in a particular region can exhibit different traits as well, depending on the season, growth conditions, etc... I think it's not very useful to look for any particular "regional" riccia in the LFS here.

Mini riccia could be just a variety (like you have miniature horses, Anubias barteri var. nana which is a dwarf form of Anubias barteri etc) of Riccia fluitans, or it could be a different species altogether. The only way to know is to look for the scientific paper describing the plant, if it exists at all. In general, outward appearances are fairly useless in determining a plant species. Botanists rely much more on the reproductive organs (flowers, spores, seeds) to classify a plant.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thank you very much for your explaination. Are you a botanist? you seem very knowledgeable.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would like to be a botanist..... but you must believe me when I say that my formal scientific training is only til O levels. All this stuff is really quite basic, if one wishes to study the animals and plants that bring life to one's home. If a goondu like budak can get through the latin terms, lingo and tell the difference between species AND varieties, anyone can too. Don't be like many, who are proud of their ignorance, and almost ashamed if they are thought to be knowledgable or cheem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    We have actullay got Prof Benito Tan from NUS to examine Mini Riccia and he confirmed that Mini Riccia is just a variety (same species) of the normal Riccia