Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito boraras = boraras brigittae?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mosquito boraras = boraras brigittae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just bought 10 boraras from M, AMK Ave 10...... when I asked him if the fishes wereboraras brigittae , owner said mosquito boraras. Paid more than $1/fish. Think I've been fleeced.....
    ...........checked the forum album and looked more like the "exclamation mark" boraras which is usually selling for $0.30/fish. Any bros staying there can go down and verify?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Take a look at this thread.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpBB...hlight=boraras

There are some very nice high-res pics to help you ID the fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Mosquito boraras = boraras brigittae

I think when one is speaking Latin (which is of course exemplary) and the other English, nobody can be exactly sure which species each other is talking about.... i myself find that the moniker mosquito rasbora is being applied to any small Boraras species other than B. maculatus. It's like the case with SAEs, fake SAEs and flying foxes.... I won't say the LFS is entirely without blame (not perhaps wilfully) but I think it's simply best to be sure of what you want before you buy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

\"exclamation mark\" boraras

the cheapest i saw in market is $0.10 for one..
    but must buy 100 pcs..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: \"exclamation mark\" boraras

[quote:1518c1a4="bettarism"]the cheapest i saw in market is $0.10 for one..
    but must buy 100 pcs..[/quote:1518c1a4]

just saw a lot at TB Ben.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the consolation, support, encouragement..... will try to think that they're boraras brigittae....... maybe, they'll turn red one day.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in good condition the Boraras urophthalmoides CAN acquire an orangey/red flush on the body. I have people arguing that a tankful of reddish uroph is actually brigittae. One way to tell is by the bodyshape, uroph is much stockier.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Boraras urophthalmoides is a beautiful fish as well! You will get the kick out of it if you are able to get it to show its true colors. When I first got mine, I found it unattractive as it was pale looking. After some time of adaptation, I find it nicer than the B Brigittae(IMO). The reason being reddish fishes are nice but are considered more common colors found among fishes, whereas orange colors is more difficult to come by.

If you stay around CCK, feel free to drop by my place to take a look at them. It may change your opinion on the fish.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: \"exclamation mark\" boraras

[quote:2383170703="bettarism"]the cheapest i saw in market is $0.10 for one..
    but must buy 100 pcs..[/quote:2383170703]

Hi Bettarism,

I also saw those "mosquitos fishes" at Mermaid AMK. By the way which market, I assumed it's wet market you are talking about, did you see selling at 10 cents each? Please tell me so that I can go get a some for myself.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:11ce53ed0f="hwchoy"]in good condition the Boraras urophthalmoides CAN acquire an orangey/red flush on the body. I have people arguing that a tankful of reddish uroph is actually brigittae. One way to tell is by the bodyshape, uroph is much stockier.[/quote:11ce53ed0f]

How come I have a feeling that you are talking about me
    Yes Boraras urophthalmoides can become really red and almost look like brigittae. But the latter is always slimmer and more often than not, longer. Also in my 4ft tank of 100 pcs of the former, only some are red whereas the rest remains yellowish. So I think it has to do with the sexes that water-condition.

With the price of $0.10 per pc I question why I need brigittae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:54cf80b585="Nicky"]
    How come I have a feeling that you are talking about me
    [/quote:54cf80b585]

hiak hiak hiak hiak!

[quote:54cf80b585="Nicky"]
    Yes Boraras urophthalmoides can become really red and almost look like brigittae. But the latter is always slimmer and more often than not, longer. Also in my 4ft tank of 100 pcs of the former, only some are red whereas the rest remains yellowish. So I think it has to do with the sexes that water-condition.

With the price of $0.10 per pc I question why I need brigittae.[/quote:54cf80b585]

absolutely, the three sunda species are longer and slimer. actually maculatus also very nice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    saw at least 5 varieties of this boraras at biotope...
    but price range from 60cents to $2...

are they schooling fish? they look cute...
    might wan to get about 10 of each species...

Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:fb498960f6="aCe^bOwleRz"]saw at least 5 varieties of this boraras at biotope...
    but price range from 60cents to $2...

are they schooling fish? they look cute...
    might wan to get about 10 of each species...

[/quote:fb498960f6]

species, not varieties. there are actually 6 species in the Boraras genus but only 5 has been described and have scientitic names.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's a pic of the 2 types I have. Boraras brigittae and Boraras urophthalmoides. Quite easy to tell them apart. Though the urop can turn very orange with reddish blush on their cheeks, they are not quite as red as the brigittae. The brigittae get really red in this ADA soil tank. In my main planted tank (lapis gravel), they don't colour up as nicely. I'm guessing it's due to the PH.

Sorry abt the poor pic.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b59923519f="victri"]Here's a pic of the 2 types I have. Boraras brigittae and Boraras urophthalmoides. Quite easy to tell them apart. Though the urop can turn very orange with reddish blush on their cheeks, they are not quite as red as the brigittae. The brigittae get really red in this ADA soil tank. In my main planted tank (lapis gravel), they don't colour up as nicely. I'm guessing it's due to the PH.

Sorry abt the poor pic.
    [/quote:b59923519f]

wa...say poor pic? wait till u see my pic...haha...blurr...

anyway i intent to put the boraras in my ADA aquasoil tank...
    all my tank ada...so should not be too bad...

Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI, When i first start to keep boraras 6mth back? They are pale and small when i put into my tank. It show not much color for a week, but after i feed them live tubliflex worm their color show up after afew days.

But a gentle reminder, many said live food could bring disease to the fishes.

Fish do change color due to many factor. Given a Good environment they will show their nature color.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just my 2cents worth. i've kept all the Boraras species before and nothing beats Boraras merah. IMO, even the urophthalmoides is a beautiful species. When kept in proper condition the males will show a brilliant greenish sheen to the midbody marking. you'll love the colours. simple awesome. i have some males and females in my tank and they're simply wonderful. together with my remaining Boraras micros and maculata, they're simple wonderful pets. would love to get some brigittae and merah back in the setup. in fact, i'd love to get MORE boraras. any species for that matter.

P.S. Just another bit of info, they are small carnivores and i've seen mine try to take bites out of each other... Makes you think what else they're capable of.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, didn't think my post would create such a stir. Had wanted to know if the fishes from M were Brigittae initially but now I know I paid many times for a cheap substitute. Please do not get me wrong that the fishes were inferior in every way. Just think that we should be cautious with our purchases when they do not use the correct names of the fishes, esp when the tank water is coloured. The rip-off hurts..... ouch!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one of the reasons I have high-res pics posted is to help hobbyist properly identify their fish, regardless of common names. you can print the picture of the fish you want and go to the LFS to compare. Although this is not always foolproof it is better than buying by memory.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:db1593625c="stormhawk"]P.S. Just another bit of info, they are small carnivores and i've seen mine try to take bites out of each other... Makes you think what else they're capable of. [/quote:db1593625c]

I'm surprised, never seen any agression from mine, all 6 species.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast