Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 1:10 Filteration Theory....Please Enlighten.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1:10 Filteration Theory....Please Enlighten.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone

On the latest outing last Saturday, I had an interesting conversation with Vinz with regards to the theory of 1:10 filtration.

While I have not had a chance to do more research via the internet with regards to this theory, off the bat, this is my understanding.

1:10 filtration = 1 hour : 10 x volume of water.

This means, for example, if I have 360 liters of water, in 1 hour I have to cycle this volume through the filter by 3600liters.

Is my understanding correct? If it is, at this ratio will it not be too much water current and/or agitation in the tank?

Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 1:10 Filteration Theory....Please Enlighten.

It is not really about the filtration it is more of the water flow. If you are talking about biological filtration, then 2-3 time water volume is enough. However in the planted tank, due to the density of the plant, need more flow to avoid dead spot. In other word, you can have 2-3 times filter flow and add wave maker or power head to improve the flow.

Plant do not have hand and leg, so you need to bring the nutrient (CO2, N, P, K and trace) to them using the water flow.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Shadow....based on what you have mentioned, 1:3 for biological filtration is sound. Depending on the density of plants and blockade of hardscape, 1:3 flow rate and adding a wave maker to avoid dead spot is logical. This probably brings the in-tank flow rate to about 1:4 or even 1:5. If that is the case, how did the 1:10 theory evolved from?

I have currently 2 x Ehiem 3e 700 series with a max flow rate of 1:1850liter and with 2 of them just barely made it to the magic 1:10...I have turn both filter to max flow rate and all the plants including the E. Tennellus are swaying like coconut trees in strong wind....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just imagine if you compare rainbar and single hose and using same filter, you'll get the same horse power/volume intake/flow rate, but not the direction of flow, the volume of intake will still be the same but not the output flow direction. Like wise like wavemaker, they create a Vortex direction.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is not a hard rule like everything must be 10 times otherwise all die . Use your own judgment, it is normally OK as long as the plant leaf move. Also smaller tank tend to be higher just like light watt per gallon thing.

Example from my own tank
    My own 150 liters tank is only using 7-8 times.
    My 50 liters is using Eheim 2215 which is 540 l/h that would be 10-11 times.
    My 20 liters is using Eheim 2211 which is 300 l/h that would be 15 times.

Again what I use above is not a must .
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Blue33...basically are you saying that the point of entry of the flow rate even at filter maximum can be slowed down like for example using a lily pipe, and like in my case using a double filter, by using, for example lily pipes to slow in-tank flow rate and placing them in opposite direction to create a vortex?

@Shadow...for your 50liter and 20liter....are you going at max flow rate for filter? If this is so, isn't the flow rate in-tank too strong? Unless you are using, for example a lily pipe to lower the in-tank flow rate?

thanks....the point to it is supposedly a guideline and not an absolute...just that it is a rather high guideline ratio.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Placing the flow in alternate direction is a good choice but lily pipe tends to concentrate mid to upper level and miss the bottom part. Just like Chocolate tank he missed the bottom part and all sorts of algae came in to attack.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Blue33...currently using the rain bar flowing from the back to front of tank pretty much in a cock screw flow direction. Practically no dead spot but need to cut flow rate of both filters by half.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMHO, in the hobby no hard and fast rule. General guidelines exists to guide not as a must or like david says absolute.
    Personally, i find "flowrate X circulation" is vital but the hobbyist can only play by eye after roughly reaching the guidelines.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It also depend on the scape. For my 2ft (50 liters), If I'm scaping Iwagumi then my 2215 will be too strong to my like, I will change it to 2213 (440 l/h). IMO the best way to detect is using CO2 misting (I'm happen to use inline diffuser), see where the tiny bubble flowing to.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

To me,
    Flow rate is not equals to filtration.

Flow rate determines the amount of water circulation in the tank. Higher Flow rate means water circulates faster. low flow rate means water do not flow as fast and dead spots where there is no / negligible flow in the tank.

Filtration level is determined by the amount of bioload in the system.

In most cases, the only flowrate is from the filtration device.
    In some cases, i have a filtration device that can filter 1000L per hour, because i have exactly 5 guppies and 10 red cherries.. 1000L per hour is enough..

But i have an additional 2 pumps in my tank. each of them putting out 1000 - 1500L per hour. this is to ensure my water is circulated.

after typing so much, i realised i have said nothing. nothing that the other forummers have not mentioned.. HAHAHA
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

filtration is useless if your circulation misses zones or spots & the same vice versa.

crucial to have good mix.

oh wait, what the WXYZ do you have so many powerhead. washing machine.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

my tank is a little long..
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    my tank is a little long..
    ok, but still the memory of someone else's washing machine quite funny. (that was 2 footer with power heads LOL so imagine and have a laugh!)

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    IMHO, in the hobby no hard and fast rule. General guidelines exists to guide not as a must or like david says absolute.
    Personally, i find "flowrate X circulation" is vital but the hobbyist can only play by eye after roughly reaching the guidelines.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It also depend on the scape. For my 2ft (50 liters), If I'm scaping Iwagumi then my 2215 will be too strong to my like, I will change it to 2213 (440 l/h). IMO the best way to detect is using CO2 misting (I'm happen to use inline diffuser), see where the tiny bubble flowing to.
    Good point.
    Even the depth of the tank play a part,deep tank need stronger flow for good water circulation.