Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: what is your water temp with the fan?

Voters
523. You may not vote on this poll

70 13.38%

142 27.15%

127 24.28%

95 18.16%

36 6.88%
  • Higher than 29

39 7.46%
  • Lower than 25

14 2.68%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ambient water temperature?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn
    I JUST GOT MYSELF A COOLER FAN. THIS IS NOT THE TYPE USE IN COMPUTER BUT IS A COIL TYPE LIKE THE AIR CON. IT WAS TOLD TO WORK BETTER. MY TEMP IS ABOUT 29 TO 30 DEG WITH LIGHTS ON NOW IS 27 TO 27.5 DEG. I DON'T THINK TEMP CAN REACH 26 AND BELOW WITH FAN. ONLY CHILLER ELSE WHY PEOPLE BUY CHILLER, RIGHT?

REGARDS
    FISHLOVER.

Hi Glenn,
    I think it will be better if you can "speak" without "screaming" in caps.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I run my fans 24x7. I am using 2x3 = 6 fans for my 3 ft planted tank. I noticed before I installed the fans, Water Temp was about 29 - 30 Degrees. After the fans are turned ON, Water Temp went down to about 26 - 27 degrees (with Lights ON). Since the ambient temp in the morning/night is cooler, the Water Temp registers about 25.3 degrees early in the morning/late at night.

This is the 2nd round I am installing the fans. The 1st round of 2x3 fans ran 24x7 and "run until fail" before I got the replacements. I am using the normal 12v computer fans (all 6 of them), solder-wired them together and power is via an external DC PSU. A cheaper cooling alternative...Each fan costs about S$4 (from Sim Lim SQ). So far, no problems... Only problem is the water evaporates quite fast and I need to top up about 3-5 litres at least once a week.

I am even thinking of installing another 4 more fans, so that makes a total of TEN cooling fans !!! Woah...!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why is there a need to install so many fans? There is only so much that the temperature will drop through evaporative cooling... It will not drop much further, no matter how many fans you are using...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps you are absolutely right...But this works great for me so I think will stick to my current fan setup. Thanks very much for the advise, though...Cheers Bro

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yhvhjireh
    Perhaps you are absolutely right...But this works great for me so I think will stick to my current fan setup. Thanks very much for the advise, though...Cheers Bro
    guys,
    you reminded me of the days I used to overclock my CPU, RAM and graphics card. So I installed alot of fan on my PC casing.... What I ended up with was a bumble bee everytime I turn on my PC (those very loud fan noise ).

In the end, I opened up the casing a use one of those "pirated" 50W Bioaire Fan...
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yhvhjireh
    No probs... Just seeing if can help you save some money on electricity and fans so you can buy more plants or fish.

Cheers...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    i don't really see them suffering excepy maybe for the moss that is growing very slowly. I'm more worried about my shrimps. what temp do they thrive in?
    Aquatic plant in general will do better in cooler water. In my experience, plants grow better at 25C~26C though most plants do ok at 27C~28C.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check out this article of Tropica plant collection in Thailand:\
    http://aquarticles.com/articles/trav...forPlants.html

Thousands of Cryptocoryne albida were growing in a small river a little further south, both under the water and between the stones on small islands. Once again we learnt something new and unexpected about aquarium plants. On the banks of a small shallow pond near the river we found Cryptocoryne albida growing in the heat of the blazing sun. The water in which the roots were growing was so hot I could not stand in it to take my photographs. I measured the temperature of the water, and the reading went above the 50ºC maximum on the thermometer.
    Wow!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    50c!! Wow... Hmm... Why are we so intend to lower the water temp then...

But then, before I drop my tank temperature, the plants are really not doing that well... Hmm...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agreed. Before dropping the temp....my plant are not growing that well.
    For good or for ill, I will walk on the path chosen by none but myself.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thailand experiences a much wider range of temperatures compared to our equatorial climate. The 50C could be a daytime peak, while morning/evening/night levels could be considerably lower. During the wet season, ambient temperature can go down to the teens too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On the average my tanks are about 28º with the fan on an 26º towards the cooler months in year. Looking at the polls, those having 25º must be very happy indeed

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Thumbs up cool

hmmm,

have to agree with 25-26c for mosses in general for lush growth...
    if you guys have air conditioning in the room, then you don't need chiller.

airconditioned lfs with planted display tanks rarely use chillers.

set to 27c plus ONE fan on the aquarium will give you~25c... or just set to desired temp. to get desired results. plus side is you get to enjoy cool air and you won't get fogged up tanks esp when temp diff in tank and outside is big. minus side is global warming, using up fossil fuels bla bla bla.
    [btw chiller doesn't need to be on 24/7... use timer and set for daytime only to save $$$]
    i know for a fact when lfs in kl close, ac is switched off and turned on when open for business next day. plants there look great...

for me, i 'leaked' some air conditioned air [set at 23c half opened door] from my bedroom to the living room [apt] this helps lower it to 25c. not very scientific and only when i'm home and whatever works for you since i have no ac in the living room. budget and convenience...
    [did think about the ice one...]
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    these few days are very hot ... my tank is around 28c~29c even with the fan on ... sigh ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Well, me too face the same problem of quite high temp...
    These days got 30C lights on, 28C lights off.
    Haven't install any fan yet, due to lack of space on top of the tank.
    Before installing any, have to ask you guys first : Do your fans facing the water directly, or facing the lamps (90 degrees from water surface)?
    Because the lack of space, I have to consider several options of installing the fan, in order to get a minimal space addition for the fan...
    I guess the direction of airflow from the fan effects on how much it decrease the temp, right ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ha ha ha~~
    most of us around 28C

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My new office tank can go as low as 24C or maybe even the lower 23s... Is it not too good for most fish?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mine is 27.9degree celcius....any idea hw to bring it lower using fan...
    do u guys think tat a bigger fan wud bring the temp lower...?since it covers more surface area....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by sonique
    mine is 27.9degree celcius....any idea hw to bring it lower using fan...
    do u guys think tat a bigger fan wud bring the temp lower...?since it covers more surface area....
    If yours is non CO2, it should be OK.
    But if CO2 injected to your tank, I think bigger fan will do too much surface water movement, can cause CO2 loss...
    Have tried small DC or AC fan...? Does pretty good job, mine after two small DC fan attached, reaches 26 - 28 C

But I think yours 27.9 C good enough... if it's the max temp, not the minimum temp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    My new office tank can go as low as 24C or maybe even the lower 23s... Is it not too good for most fish?
    Well, mine never reach that low, maybe in rain/wet season, let's see...

How about shrimp, is that low temp has bad impact to them too...?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast