Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dwarf puffer diet

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys. I have recently acquired 2 dwarf puffers. I realized that they've not been eating and are really skinny. I've tried isolating the puffers from my main tank and dropping freeze dried jumbo bloodworms however they're not going for it. I do see them attacking my cherry red shrimps though. Is there something else I can try? I read they occasionally feast on snails. Can any bro out here advice on what else i can try and easy to get?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dwarf puffer diet

as far as i experienced they only hunt for live food . had 5 all dead as i was too scared they attack my shrimps and isolate them. now my tank is infested with those small pond snail sobs

-----------------------------------------
    Visit and comment my L Tank and S Tank... <-- Click click !!
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I read they eat brine shrimp. Is there anyway I can get maybe 1 or 2 brine shrimps? I see they always sell in a big bag at c328. I just want to try.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I feed it with sea monkey..sell in a pack of $1. But they will die off in few days time..need air pump. Feed the puffer using tweezer one by one, else other fish will eat it. The puffer will come to you like a dog when your tweezer goes into the tank:-)
    To me,I found spending time on it and let go the puffers fish after that..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They feed on pond snails, live daphnia, live baby brine shrimps. I hatch my own brine shrimp these days as I was unable to find a stable supply, c328 usually sell out by the time i'm off work. I have never gotten them to eat frozen brine shrimp or daphnia before, rather anything "non-live".

I have three and they seem to leave my yellow back shrimps alone. I introduced colored shrimps of different sizes to test their reactions, all the shrimps were alive after a week. Praying hard they do not figure out that shrimps are tasteful food other than BBS and snails.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi igen, I think thats cause your puffers are well fed so they leave your shrimps alone. I think my puffers are getting desperate. Hehe. Oh man. Is there anyway to get just 1 or 2 brine shrimp? Else igen, would you like another 2 puffers if mine continue to not eat? Hehe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tank is to small for 5 pea puffers... Get a packet of baby brine shrimps and keep an air stone inside the packet, it should last two to three days, remember do not change the water inside the packet as brine shrimps cannot survive long in fresh water. The pea puffers will definitely eat them, however, I have never try full grown brine shrimps before, I read online they hunts the full grown too.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dwarf puffer diet

Can try putting in small ghost shrimps to see if they'll eat.

I always keep my live brine shrimps in covered container and keep inside my fridge, not the freezer compartment please, the brine shrimp will hibernate and can last for upto a week.
    Can change partial water by adding your tank water for the live brine shrimps, hope this helps.

Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hm where can I get baby brine shrimps? I see them selling brine shrimps at C328 but those look quite big and they sell in a huge bag! ghost shrimps huh? are they smaller than cherry red? I see them trying to attack my cherry reds but they do not seem to be having any luck cause the cherry reds dart away very quickly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They stock around 6pm daily. You can either wait at C328 or try calling to reserve. The baby ones get snap up very quickly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ah I see, thanks Ingen, so they come in small packets? oh man looks like i need to set up another tank just for the brine shrimps -_-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They sell in big packet, I used to buy it and keep them alive for 2-3 days before I started to hatch my own.

I can't recall the brand of brine shrimp eggs that I bought, I got it from petsmart at Serangoon and take note that you have to get the marine salt (about two tablespoons in 1L water), I use the 1.5L mineral water bottle to hatch the brine shrimps, just put in an airstone and wait for 1-1.5 days for most of the eggs to hatch.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh man, I just want 1 or 2 to try and see if my puffers will eat them. Do you isolate the puffers from the rest of the tank to feed them? My puffers are with my other tetras and shrimps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Baby brine shrimps are very tiny (a dot size). I did not isolate them, I just take put a small scoop of bbs in the water and it will just spread around the tank. Puffers will go for it automatically.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow, the ones I saw at C328 are massive then compared to the dot. Thanks for the advice Ingen, I'll have to find some of the BBS for them or I'll have to give them up to ensure their survival.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where do you stay? If you are staying near lakeside, you can drop by my place and I can pass you some. Current batch was hatched 3 days ago, going to disposal of the leftover tonight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ingen, I'm at bukit gombak. I can head over on my way home to grab the left over if you don't mind. why do you want to dispose of the left overs anyway?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1. They starts to die off around 3 days onwards, probably due to the lack of food in the water.
    2. I read online BBS is not very nutritional after the first day of hatching. But I find keeping it for just one day is too much of a hassle.

PM me your number and we can arrange for pick up. Not lot of hatching left, but should be enough for two puffers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I had 2 dwarf puffers before last year in my snail tank (populated with little pond snails that i harvested from LFS plants during quarantine).

When they depleted the snail population, i supplemented them with Hikari Carnivore pellets and they thrived on it for months, maybe can try that out.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria, I'll take a note of that and try that if the brine shrimps don't work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast