Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hello and anyone know where to buy a few mollies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a corner bottom filter, which is connected to an air hose. This one has carbon pellets (bottom), filter wool (middle), and then ceramic ring (Sanyu Bio Care).

Typically I have another hang on filter for the same big tank (but I have moved it to the smalller tank with the spillover additional fishes). This configuration, I wrap filter wool around the water intake, and then ceramic rigngs and finally the pumps filter with additional carbon pellets.

I recently bought this OF Bio foam filter, which I am unconvinced does an adequate job in filtering and cleaning the water. I am thinking of getting another hang on filter to assist in filtering the larger tank.

What do you think?

Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am trying to imagine what your set up is but my mind is still blank....

Any chance of a snap shot of the whole tank with filter?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HI David

This is my arrangement.

The big tank has both a HOF and corner filter. Both has the carbon and bio rings.

THe mid sized tank (for the smaller fishes) have just the OF Bio sponge filter.

My small fry nursery has only air stone, but I do change 10-20% water daily.

Also I've noticed in my big tank, I have 2 -3 fish dying daily, used to be the small ones, but yesterday and today I've had 5 of the big ones die off already. Not sure why?

The water clarity has improved somewhat though it's still got a greenish hue, but it's clear not so milky anymore.

Any advice on the dying fish part?

20130915_180917.jpg20130915_180909.jpg20130915_180859.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am so sorry that your fishes are dying. I am on my way back to KL and I cannot really see you pictures with this tapatalk thingy. I will reply you ASAP.

At the mean time, did you check your tank for NH and NO levels?
    [email protected]

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi TS,

how many fishes you have in the small tank? to me it has too many fishes and the tank is too small to house them.

Secondly, on why they die:-
    you bought feeder mollies right? their condition may not be tip top and some death is considered normal
    overfeeding in a small tank is a big no-no, additional feed will rot/ contaminate the water
    keeping small tank sometimes is harder than keeping a normal sized tank, water parameters are harder to control.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've transferred the rest of the small fish into the bigger tank. Today I picked up another 5 dead ones. Changed the water about 70% fresh treated water.

And I found snails in the tank now. I think they are from the plant as they were not there before. I caught 2 big ones and 1 baby. Still more as no time to get them all. Are they bad for the tank?

I can't post picts up as the server is giving me some error message.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, this is one of the dead fish and also a picture of the snail I found in the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Common pond snail.. manual removal when you see any

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with wongce about too many fishes and they are feeder quality....so genetically not in top condition and how they are handle is pretty bad.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with both the experts as well. The feeder fishes, some of them look ugly and some quite scary, so I know the gene pool isn't all that great.

Anyways, it's a learning journey for the kids (lifecycle etc) and for me is more the fun of buying cheaper gizmos (unlike computer or phone gizmos).

We're planning a year end break so I doubt if I will be topping up the fish until after our break, else it might be more money down the toilet (literally)!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you want mollies (or guppies) that don't die so easily, get a couple of nets and some containers and collect from the canals near your place (But be careful, and go only in good weather and when the water level is low). These tend to be healthy and hardy; you might get a few that don't survive the transition to life in an aquarium, but most will easily adapt and flourish. The only issue is that they are "wild-type" mollies and aren't brightly coloured, but I love the way they shimmer under the light.

Small is good.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I believe your plastic tanks are uncycled. In stable setups, even with several mollies, a medium sized plastic tank is perfectly okay. Your fishes may be dying from a combination of stress, disease and bad water quality. I've seen Mollies being sold at C328 and Polyart. In fact I spotted some nice Black Mollies at C328 over the weekend. I got my mollies from a neighbourhood store and one of the females gave me a brood of 20+ fry. If you find healthy individuals and keep them in decent conditions with good filtration, they will survive and produce many offspring.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by klo44w View Post
    I agree with both the experts as well. The feeder fishes, some of them look ugly and some quite scary, so I know the gene pool isn't all that great.

Anyways, it's a learning journey for the kids (lifecycle etc) and for me is more the fun of buying cheaper gizmos (unlike computer or phone gizmos).

We're planning a year end break so I doubt if I will be topping up the fish until after our break, else it might be more money down the toilet (literally)!!
    The most enjoyable way to learn about this hobby is to get a packet of mixed guppies or platys. All fish will die or become sick, it is only a matter of time.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Folks what does cycle mean? I've heard it before but no idea really what it entails. This!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I went to C328 to look for test kits, and oh my.... it's quite expensive. So I got stingy and got the Tetra Easy Balance solution instead (20 bucks for either Ammonia or Nitrite test kit - or 40 for both vs 6 for a small bottle of solution).

I picked up only 1 dead one this morning (as opposed to 5 - 6 daily). Perhaps, it's getting into an equilibrium state in the tank with a lesser number of fish, combined with the solution and the filter and filter media.

I've noticed that the bio-ring in my HOF accumulates a lot of slime, so I washed that out with the tank water as well. Is that the right way to do it?

Pseudogobiopsis, yeah catching the mollies or guppys from the drain would be the fun way of doing it, but alas most of the small longkangs in Singapore are covered and have to go to the canal area. Any to recommend (that's a bit easy to access) in the West Coast area?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

rinsing with tank water is fine....though not needed to.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You might want to reduce the feeding, It would help to stabilize the situation,
    The fish is very much more likely to die from the pollution from leftover food than from hunger. try feeding every alternate day just enough for them to eat within one minute for 2 weeks.
    Polyart which is a few shops from C328 sells mollies individually, though their quality of fish is not very good, i reckon it is much better than feeder fish.
    Don't feel bad if the fishes die. After one month, they should stop dying.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chia lat. My fish is still going to fish heaven. Lost my only male. Should I get another one - and not those to be eaten type, or just let them all go to fish heaven. Just a matter of time.

Wah lao eh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast