Country
    Singapore

Re: Need help about Algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I cannot remember all the posting but have you considered a external canister filter with flow rate control?

Since its a 2 feet tank, you wave maker is too much for it as it has. 1000l flow rate per hour.
    Sir, I'm using MaxiJet1200, everyday I see my plants fly. Then I enjoy planting them back to position. 8€

Cheers
    eRic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Actually, it is pretty simple to hide the wave maker.just a suggestion which you might want to try out:
    1. Place the wave maker at the background of the tank around the center to the lowest point where you might deem fit
    2. Tilt the wave maker in such a way where it is angled slight towards the surface of the water ( another way to create agitation to the surface and you might not find oil firm on the surface of your tank)
    3. Start growing tall background plants around the wave maker, thus forming a sort of curtain
    Weeks down the road, you might find your wave maker visually vanished.

Cheers
    eRic

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi eRic, care to share a pic on how you hide the wave maker behing the plants curtain?
    I added a small wave maker last night when I spotted some bba on more glosso. Place it slightly above substrate level and saw all the APP got blowaway.
    I resort to add the wavemaker to my co2 timer so that it only operates during the photo period. I am not sure if this is correct. Any advice?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ConcaveLiNkiN View Post
    Actually, it is pretty simple to hide the wave maker.just a suggestion which you might want to try out:
    1. Place the wave maker at the background of the tank around the center to the lowest point where you might deem fit
    2. Tilt the wave maker in such a way where it is angled slight towards the surface of the water ( another way to create agitation to the surface and you might not find oil firm on the surface of your tank)
    3. Start growing tall background plants around the wave maker, thus forming a sort of curtain

Cheers
    eRic

Very simple way to hide the wave maker when showing off the tank in a picture. When you send to be judged by people, having non natural equipment is a direct drop in score.

Take it out pior to taking pic.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by muakmuak View Post
    Hi eRic, care to share a pic on how you hide the wave maker behing the plants curtain?
    I added a small wave maker last night when I spotted some bba on more glosso. Place it slightly above substrate level and saw all the APP got blowaway.
    I resort to add the wavemaker to my co2 timer so that it only operates during the photo period. I am not sure if this is correct. Any advice?
    Hi muakmuak,

this is what I had done:

the background plants are slowly growing, soon it should cover the powerhead.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks eRic!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, It is a bit difficult to conceal my pump with my tank setup as I have rock on one corner and wood in the other corner.
    I will most probably get rid of this pump and buy a smaller pump or switch to a canister filter with higher flow rate.
    Still monitoring the algae condition and pondering what to do.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi muakmuak,

this is what I had done:

the background plants are slowly growing, soon it should cover the powerhead.
    Hi muakmuak,

Some updates on the progress of covering the powerhead:

http://imageshack.com/a/img542/1961/aceo.jpg

The mixer got covered faster... Haha...

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ah I see.....thanks for sharing eRic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi muakmuak

Firstly, I understand your plight. It's really tiring and disheartening to constantly battle algae. The learning curve is really steep.
    Few suggestions to see if they can help you.

1. Inject co2 if you have already not.
    2. If co2 have been injected, make sure you have 30ppm.
    3. Measure your nitrate level. Is it too high for your tank? Plants need Nitrogen (N) Phosphate (P) Potassium (K) in a specific ratio to outcompete algae, should the N be too high, the balance is disturbed and algae will thrive once more.
    4. Based on your lighting, I think it may not be high enough for EI dosing, so I suggest cutting back on you photo period. Got for 6hours first see if things improve.
    5. Contrary to popular believe, I think flooding your water column with nutrient (in the right ratio) as a better plan to fight algae which reads EI dosing. I do EI On my tank but with high light and 10 hours photo period but really it's personal preference.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Here's an update to my algae problem and need more advice.
    1. I have been dosing Seachem Flourish Excel on alternate days.
    2. Added 1 Golden algae eater.
    3. Added a Hydor Koralia circulation pump.
    4. Added more plants. Staurogyne and Vallisneria Asiatica.
    The Staurogyne do not seem to be doing well as the leaves are turning brownish and falling off.
    The E Tenellus are spreading but under attack by algae so need help to ID the algae and advice to deal with it.(refer to pic)
    Advice appreciated, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As your tank is only 1 month old, did you get the algae problem before or after you added the fish into it? What sort of fish food do you feed the fish and is there often food that the fish don't eat, eg, sinks to the ground so fast and gets hidden in the Tennellus for example....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    As your tank is only 1 month old, did you get the algae problem before or after you added the fish into it? What sort of fish food do you feed the fish and is there often food that the fish don't eat, eg, sinks to the ground so fast and gets hidden in the Tennellus for example....
    Actually the tank is 2 months old.
    I feed the fishes TetraMin PRO crisps on alternate days and I ensure they finish everything before giving more food.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are you still using 2 x Up Aqua Z-Series lightsets?

Perhaps consider only using 1 set instead as your algae issues are most likely due to too much light for the current plant mass and tank conditions.

My 2ft planted tank with similiar setup is only using 1 set and i get good healthy plant growth without any algae issues. I noticed that whenever i use 2 sets algae problems will always occur.

Here is my thread for reference:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...dge-quot-Tank!

Alot of people tend to underestimate how much effective light the Z-Series lights produce just based on its specifications, and end up putting 2 on their tanks thinking that the more light the better, but actually it could be too much.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 5th Oct 2013 at 19:16.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria,
    Will remove one lightset and hope condition improves.
    Your 2 feet tank looks great.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria,
    Do you think the E Tenellus will recover or shall I pull all of it out and re-plant new ones?
    Can anyone ID the type of algae?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Et66 View Post
    Hi Urban Aquaria,
    Do you think the E Tenellus will recover or shall I pull all of it out and re-plant new ones?
    Can anyone ID the type of algae?
    Thanks.
    I believe you are currently experiencingBlack Brush/Beard (Rhodophyta)
    source: http://www.guitarfish.org/algae

A friend of mine did had similar case as yours, I helped with some trimming on the affected area (that was quite a huge bit), weeks later there was no improvement on the
    E Tenellus. Finally, we removed it completely as it was an eye-sore in the tank. Perhaps, he did not really pay much attention (taking into consideration the lights, fertilization, CO2 and water parameters) after the trim to make sure they grow well.

I would suggest that after your trim, go on your normal routine of dose, light and CO2. After 2 weeks or so, if you do not see new growth or perhaps improvement, pull them out and and re-plant new ones. Within the 2 weeks, monitor if it starts to rot or melt, should that happen, remove them immediately as they might contaminate your tank.

There was this expert who once told me, it does not matter the quality of the plant that you had purchased. But if you give it great and sufficient care (in terms of the required fertilizer, CO2, lightings, etc), chances are that the plant will grow well. Hope you might find this advice helpful.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi ET66,
    are the e. tenullus turning red and algae is on the older leaves? If yes, bump up Co2 and reduce photo period. if you are on 8 hours, reduce to 7.
    If the e.tenullus is not turning red (like in the photos) and the algae is on the new and old leaves, your nitrates could be on the high side.

How about the staurogyne? any algae on the leaves (those that are not brown)?

the staurogyne is newly planted or existing ones?
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    hi ET66,
    are the e. tenullus turning red and algae is on the older leaves? If yes, bump up Co2 and reduce photo period. if you are on 8 hours, reduce to 7.
    If the e.tenullus is not turning red (like in the photos) and the algae is on the new and old leaves, your nitrates could be on the high side.

How about the staurogyne? any algae on the leaves (those that are not brown)?

the staurogyne is newly planted or existing ones?
    You should follow bro Eric's method to try salvage your e. tenullus first.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you can buy more e. tenullus, then i think it might be a better idea to just replace it.

At least this way, it'll ensure that most of the algae is removed from the tank and you get to introduce new healthier plants to help out-compete the algae... otherwise it'll be like fighting uphill battles with the existing BBA while trying to rejuvenate weak plants at the same time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast