Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Albino red guppy qns

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, need so advice on this fish type, is it very difficult in keep it? Cos been try twice but they keep dying while the rest of my fish are fine...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Albino red guppy qns

Hi, let me share my few cents' worth. Hope what I'll say will not offend others. I'm sure others have their own way.. Hehe

Basically guppies are not that fragile. Like most other fish, water plays one of the most crucial roles.

I've been keeping these as well as other strains for a few years now. And they seem to be doing well, birthing and developing fine. If you watch these conditions, it should be all right:

1) Water
    It must be properly cycled, and we're talking about water that is safe for all fishes. Find out the type of water/tank condition that the previous owner had been using. It would be advisable for you to request for more water from the previous water, whether or not it is crystal clear or a little green. I know most people would want to start off with a crystal clear tank, but I feel starting with some water from the guppies/ original tank will be safer.

2) Food
    No feeding for 1-2 days. Then feed a bit that day, followed by increasing the amount of food another day and so forth.

3) Acclimatization
    Cannot just dump fish into a new tank of water. You have to properly and slowly do it. Can google for info.

Many bros use a bit of salt and anti-chlorine... For me I rarely use them. But I do age my water for a long time (remember to put a lid in case of mozzies) and for bigger tanks, I provide aeration. Then I might use a few guinea pigs to test out the water...

Phew! So much to say...

Good luck!
    Fancy Guppies: Many cute ones. Live Fish Fry Cultures: Microworms, Grindal worms & Vinegar eels.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi happy guppy, thanks for sharing it experience! Perhaps will try agai!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jamonbutter View Post
    Hi happy guppy, thanks for sharing it experience! Perhaps will try agai!
    You're welcome! Sorry for late reply because I seldom check my email for notifications Different guppy owners have different ways. Some swear by anti-chlorine and a bit of salt for every WC, and I do add them but usually only to new tanks or for quarantining sick fish. However, my method works for me..

You may want to stick to the safe rules and use anti-chlorine, etc. and ensure water is properly aged and tested before putting in your precious guppies.
    Fancy Guppies: Many cute ones. Live Fish Fry Cultures: Microworms, Grindal worms & Vinegar eels.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, when I mentioned 'guinea pigs', I don't mean the cute four-legged animals... Haha. Happy guppy rearing!