Thread: Correct Temperture for Moss

Feedback Score

Correct Temperture for Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Anyone can advise on the correct temperture for moss?

Cheers,

Leslie

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The cooler the better... say 28C or below.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What type of moss are you referring?

My 4ft and 3ft with a single cooling fan each registers about 27.3C on average . The java moss seems to be growing much better than the xmoss.

I just started with a small bunch of erect moss. Will know growth result in a few weeks hopefully.

Feedback Score
    fazlee,
    I've xmoss and erect moss.
    Not to sure that is the temperature range?

Budak,
    So what temp can be the coldest and what's the effective temp range?

Thanks

Leslie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi all,

anyone been to tat plant shop in novena "nature aquarium"...
    on the desk, he has a small tank abt 1 fit tank has beautiful xmoss inside all fully grown...BUT TEMP IS 30degC...!!!
    can see the temp reading from the thermometer sticking there...
    So can anyone explain why???
    does it mean moss can grow at temp 25 to 30degC? or must be <26degC??

experts please advise.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I think about 30C is the limit. Low end? My guess is 17C or more.. but you'll hardly get that around here. That Nature Aquarium tank's moss is very well established. Maybe you can ask Chan how he does it. But for myself, I keep mosses in both fan-blown tanks (26-27C) and no fan tanks (28-29C).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    asked Chan??
    ai yah...ask him liao...he says it's a secret...***...
    budak..so i presume u have succeed growing those moss w/o fan??
    must we add fertilizer as and when??
    give some hints can?
    my erect moss juz died...probably erect too much....haa
    sad..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I don't think there's any real secrets (no offence, uncle Chan:P). In my experience, if you have a high light, high CO2 tank, you need to have a full fertilisation regime (look through threads by Peter Gwee and Plantbrain), or your plants (including mosses) will be limited by some or more nutrients. In setups with low light, no-Co2 and little water changes, very litle fertilisation is necessary. (Some people even keep mosses in little tauhuay containers with no water changes for months or in little, uncared-for plastic tanks in their toilets). Of course, the lower the temperature, the better the moss grows. Chan's little tank has been there for a couple of years now..... can you be as patient as him?

I find erect moss, unlike java and xmas, only thrives if the light is medium to strong in intensity. It's not a shade plant.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:93a83ceaec="Moss-seow"]asked Chan??
    ai yah...ask him liao...he says it's a secret...*censor*...
    budak..so i presume u have succeed growing those moss w/o fan??
    must we add fertilizer as and when??
    give some hints can?
    my erect moss juz died...probably erect too much....haa
    sad.. [/quote:93a83ceaec]

Hi Moss Seow

I am sure temperature is a key parameter in ensuring good moss growth. But there are other parameters that you could tweak such as potassium which seems to have effect on the growth rate of plants.

Moss expert, like Timebomb may be able to advise you better. Temperature should have an effect on the growth of plants as it affects the metabolism of plants and hence the substance for growth becomes a limiting factor of growth.

By the way, what do you mean erected too much?

Just my two cents.

Edwin Poh
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    As already mentioned by Budak, cooler is better, but it will grow at warmer temps. Both moss and liverworts do better at cooler temps.
    20-21C is ideal for many mosses/liverworts.
    Like I can keep my place that cool most of the year! Ha!
    Mosses will take everything from the water column and use only CO2, never HCO3.

There are a couple of larger mosses here and a liverwort that looks very much like lobed moss here. I've used it for several months now.
    The microphylls are roughly 1 cm long on the large moss and look very pretty in the river. The liverwort is foind in the darker areas with Cypress roots. I've also found the liverwort down at 10 meters depth which is about my free dive limit. It has very fine thalli, looks like algae or moss at first.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    So, is liverwort a sort of moss?

How much CO2 is needed for usual moss (ppm)? Or, does the amount of CO2 and fertiliser differ according to the amount of lights?

Leslie.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Liverworts (to which Riccia and Monosolenium belong to) are related to mosses, and there are both terrestrial and aquatic species.

Mosses grow well with or without CO2 injection. High lights or low are fine for most species too (although the so-called erect moss seems to prefer stronger lighting). But in any case, if you are using a high light/high CO2 regime, you need to beef up the fert dosage correspondingly (read the fert section threads for details). With a low light/no CO2 setup, I don't find it necessary to fertilise. Mosses will grow in a neglected (no water change at all) little tank or container left in a semi-shaded corner of your house.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi folks,

I am new to this forum. Recently I visited a few aquatic farms in Johor and Singapore. I noticed that most of them have well planted show tanks with just fans. Temperature at the farm is very hot. I was melting but their plants seems to be in very good shape. I only saw one tank with chiller at Teo's.

I have specimens of Eleocharis Acicularis taken from Kalimantan Tengah that grew very well in temperatures around 30 or more. Just sharing my observation. I am no expert except in growing algae. LOL!

Have a great weekend!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

I find fans work fine for tanks up to 3-4 ft. My own 3.5 ft has a MH light, but with 2 AC fans, the temperature gets to 26-27C. Just right. For some reason, plants in outdoor tanks (like at Teo's) always seem to do better than indoors....

When were you down in these parts (do you know kuching aka Michael Lo who's also based in Sarawak and posting here?)

One thing I am curious, do you (or other hobbyists in Sarawak) use CO2 for your planted tanks? There has been quite a lot of discussion on the best methods for both thriving CO2 and non-CO2 injected tanks of late, and I have sometimes wondered about the options a hobbyist living in places like East Malaysia or parts of West Malaysia would have in terms of growing demanding plants.

And not forgeting, too let us know if you drop by again.... I think some of use would be most interested in an exchange of ideas, experience and a few other things... *hint hint*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Budak,

The hobby is slowly growing over here and u r right. Things are much harder to get over here because a lot of the aquariums owners here are not knowledgeable. I havent had chance to meet up Michael Lo yet and looking forward to doing so. If you guys come over to this side of the pond again, let me know. My guess is between a handful of us here, we could show you guys a lot of interesting places pertaining to this hobby.

I started a small aquarium business recently in Kuching to cater to planted tank enthusiast. I carry and assortment of products from ADA, JBL, Seachem to ADEC's. As a hobbyist first, I am frustrated with the lack of availability of stuffs here so I will make available some products in our markets. Hopefully the business side will work and keep this hobby growing here in East Malaysia.

I use CO2 injection for my tanks....DIY also works for smaller tanks. And when I come down next, I'll let you know. Yeah I would look forward to meeting you.

Re:

[quote:0e1e1a5ee2="bullosa"]Hi Budak,

The hobby is slowly growing over here and u r right. Things are much harder to get over here because a lot of the aquariums owners here are not knowledgeable. I havent had chance to meet up Michael Lo yet and looking forward to doing so. If you guys come over to this side of the pond again, let me know. My guess is between a handful of us here, we could show you guys a lot of interesting places pertaining to this hobby.

I started a small aquarium business recently in Kuching to cater to planted tank enthusiast. I carry and assortment of products from ADA, JBL, Seachem to ADEC's. As a hobbyist first, I am frustrated with the lack of availability of stuffs here so I will make available some products in our markets. Hopefully the business side will work and keep this hobby growing here in East Malaysia.

I use CO2 injection for my tanks....DIY also works for smaller tanks. And when I come down next, I'll let you know. Yeah I would look forward to meeting you. [/quote:0e1e1a5ee2]

The last time i visit my home town there is hardly any aquariam shop around. Kuching is 10mins from that town. U should know Kampong Koh right?. I was having problems setting up anything . I too will be intrested for u to show me around when i go back town . Also sometime eletricity is not constant. It will be challenging to maintain a huge tank back home. However there are good amount of age water from still funtioning wells.
    - Ricko

Tomorrow is decided after today is over.