Images
    Country
    Singapore

Water hose

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I will be setting up a 3ft tank and I think I will need to switch to using a water hose for topping up a 3ft and a 2ft tank.

I would like to find out
    - what particular type of hose I should use ? transparent or opaque or any particular type ?
    - what other accessories do I need so that it is easy to connect the hose and turn off the flow ?
    - Do you guys use the same hose for siphoning out water ?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    - The cheapest I can find in hardware / market stores - Translucent type, w/o wire reinforcement
    - Just 1 manual pump to start the suction.
    - Yes
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water hose

I think better to get the hose with reinforcements. Though more expensive, it prevents kinks and cuts better.

For gadget, I DIY one similar to what you can get from Nature Aquarium. See below:

The hose is used both ways, siphoning as well as topping up. Try to get some of the hose tightening rings to secure the joints during the water change. I used the traditional method of sucking at the other end of the hose to get the siphoning going.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:1b900a7a3e="juggler"]I used the traditional method of sucking at the other end of the hose to get the siphoning going. [/quote:1b900a7a3e]

KF,

Sucking on 1 end to start the siphon can be a bit dangerous leh. Check this out: Article on Fish TB.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can also diy one with a $2 clear plastic tube and some hot water. The plastic softens and you can bend it to the desired hook shape. Its not needed to suck to start it sucking. Just turn on the tap until your tapwater should have reached your tank. Then turn off the tap and unplug the hose loh...
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:1348933f33="theodore"][quote:1348933f33="juggler"]I used the traditional method of sucking at the other end of the hose to get the siphoning going. [/quote:1348933f33]

KF,

Sucking on 1 end to start the siphon can be a bit dangerous leh. Check this out: Article on Fish TB. [/quote:1348933f33]

I understand. But the hose is like 15 metres long - so the tank water does not go into my mouth. I tried the water filling method before but it generated so much bubbling disturbance and water splashes in the tank as the hose is being filled up.

OK lah, for hygiene purpose, maybe I will next try to attach the manual pump of the siphoning hose to see if it can help suck the water out.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9bbb5cd398="crandf"]You can also diy one with a $2 clear plastic tube and some hot water. The plastic softens and you can bend it to the desired hook shape.[/quote:9bbb5cd398]
    Great ! I will try this.

Its not needed to suck to start it sucking. Just turn on the tap until your tapwater should have reached your tank. Then turn off the tap and unplug the hose loh
    I was thinking of this as well. Will try it when I get the hose

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:e223648b4a="crandf"]You can also diy one with a $2 clear plastic tube and some hot water. The plastic softens and you can bend it to the desired hook shape. [/quote:e223648b4a]

I saw a similar gadget at Clementi 328 selling for around $7 and comes with a tap as well. Can check it out if it fits the hose size.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2fd3b996f1="juggler"][quote:2fd3b996f1="crandf"]You can also diy one with a $2 clear plastic tube and some hot water. The plastic softens and you can bend it to the desired hook shape. [/quote:2fd3b996f1]

I saw a similar gadget at Clementi 328 selling for around $7 and comes with a tap as well. Can check it out if it fits the hose size.[/quote:2fd3b996f1]
    Sounds like a good deal ! Will check it out tonight.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

[quote:104512f591="juggler"]

I understand. But the hose is like 15 metres long - so the tank water does not go into my mouth. I tried the water filling method before but it generated so much bubbling disturbance and water splashes in the tank as the hose is being filled up...................................
    [/quote:104512f591]

try using some cloth pegs to hold the water change device above the tank water level while you are filling the pipe.