Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass Ceramic diffuser

46 38.02%
  • Atomic diffuser

21 17.36%
  • Inline diffuser

26 21.49%
  • CO2 reactor

31 25.62%
  • others

8 6.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Wah, so many canisters connected together! Big tank you have? I prefer inline diffuser too but last time I used I had problems (stop working) and since change back to ceramic ones. By the way, how can I clean off the greenish algae on those ceramic diffuser? Tried scrubbing but couldn't get rid of them. Still working but worry over time efficiency might be affected. Thanks.
    That's one thing I hate about ceramic diffusers. once the algae sets in, it seems impossible to get rid of them. I tried bleach, vinegar, alcohol haha! still the stain remains there. And at some point he tiny pores that are supposed to produce the finest bubbles get clogged up perpetually leaving it very inefficient. I guess that's what I get for using cheap ones hehe. Perhaps the ADA ones don't suffer such issues.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try using the cheapest bleach you can find, like abc shop.

I did a good cleaning using that, just dump the whole thing and wait for 2hrs.
    As good as new
    Bean + Kurt

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    By the way, how can I clean off the greenish algae on those ceramic diffuser? Tried scrubbing but couldn't get rid of them. Still working but worry over time efficiency might be affected. Thanks.
    You can try soaking the ceramic part in hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), it'll help dissolve the algae and dirt trapped in the ceramic pores.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro Kurt's and UA. Will try them out. Do I need to soak in water after that to ensure they are clear from bleach/hydrogen peroxide?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are using bleach, then have to soak in de-chlorinated water for a while to remove the residual chlorine before putting it back in your tank.

If you used hydrogen peroxide, it just turns into oxygen which is harmless, so a quick rinse under the tap is sufficient before usage back in the tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks...will try out this weekend with hydrogen peroxide.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't overdose hydrogen peroxide

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    How about this?
    Both reactor and inline diffuser at the same time

Isn't what you have rigged up similar to this conceptually?:

Attachment 48107

This seems like having the best of both world; the CO2 is atomized into fine bubbles and the rotating blades will ensures that it is dissolved in the water before it is expelled out through the outlet.

A youtube video is https://youtu.be/OXaPiorxgAo

Anyone is using this ISTA External CO2 Ceramic Reactor Atomizer Diffuser? Care to share your experience?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    Attachment 48107

This seems like having the best of both world; the CO2 is atomized into fine bubbles and the rotating blades will ensures that it is dissolved in the water before it is expelled out through the outlet.

A youtube video is https://youtu.be/OXaPiorxgAo

Anyone is using this ISTA External CO2 Ceramic Reactor Atomizer Diffuser? Care to share your experience?
    I've seen that in use before, it works more like an inline ceramic diffuser though, the rotating "wave" blade doesn't chop up or mix the bubbles, it just swishes them around as they travel up the chamber... i noticed there were still visible bubbles coming out of the outflow pipe.

Its also designed for 16/22 hoses, so you'll need to install adaptors if your canister filter uses 12/16 hoses.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 19th Apr 2015 at 20:50.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I don't use the reactor any more it is a chore to clean it when the propeller got stuck and not spinning.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    I don't use the reactor any more it is a chore to clean it when the propeller got stuck and not spinning.
    Thats unusual... did you happen to place the reactor at a location that receives ample light? Might explain algae growing dense enough to clog it up and stop the rotors.

My oldest ISTA inline reactor unit has been running for more than a year without being cleaned, can see the chamber inside all golden brown with a nice layer of mulm, but so far the rotors are still spinning smoothly. That reactor unit is installed inside a tank cabinet though, so i guess it doesn't get as much accumulation of algae.

Anyways, i'll still have to clean it sometime soon, no more procrastination.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Since we are on the topic of Co2, has anyone tried this? Looks interesting.

I briefly read the instructions earlier.

You are supposed to place a sample of the aquarium water into the holder provided, add 5 drops of test regent 1.

Subsequently, add one drop of test regent 2 at a time. The entire mixture should turn pink, and then become pale again. Keep adding regent 2, one drop at a time until the solution turns pink permanently.

The number of drops of regent 2 added multiplied by 2 should give you the Co2 PPM of your tank. Does it work? Could provide a more accurate reading of Co2 as opposed to drop checkers which have a longer response time, or PH meters which might be a hassle to calibrate.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen that sold at some LFS before, was wondering about how it works too. Have to keep manually test over a period of time to check the Co2 levels though, which is more hassle than drop checkers.

If it also relies on the pH/KH relationship or other water parameters, then it can't work for planted tanks using active aquasoil (since you have to use aquarium water with this test kit), as the test can't be isolated from other buffers that already affect the water parameters (unlike drop checkers which are isolated test systems).

I'm guess you can try and see if it works, can use drop checker and pH test kits to double-check the results.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Asis View Post
    That's one thing I hate about ceramic diffusers. once the algae sets in, it seems impossible to get rid of them. I tried bleach, vinegar, alcohol haha! still the stain remains there. And at some point he tiny pores that are supposed to produce the finest bubbles get clogged up perpetually leaving it very inefficient. I guess that's what I get for using cheap ones hehe. Perhaps the ADA ones don't suffer such issues.
    I boiled my glass equipment in hot water and continue soaking it inside fresh water for 1 week. The alage will die off itself. To quicken the process, you can add otos or shrimps to eat the cooked algae. It works for me all the time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys,

I am thinking of trying out this ISTA external CO2 reactor but I do not want to use it the conventional way. I don't want to reduce the flow rate of my Eheim 2028 by connecting this reactor to it. I am thinking of submerging the whole reactor into the tank and connect it to a power head. This can also improve the flow in the tank as well. Please feel share your views on this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just an update to this thread... a few days back i broke one of my inline diffuser Co2 input ports while doing maintenance (those are the thinnest bits of plastic on diffuser units, very easy to snap off if not careful), basically rendering it useless.

I considered fixing it with epoxy glue, but didn't want to risk it due to the higher pressures i'm running on my system.

So i decided to get a replacement system. Eventually getting the ISTA external CO2 reactor from LFS (similiar design to the Sera version that Atham is using from a few posts back).

Got it setup...

I've been using it for a few days and so far it works great, Co2 diffusion rate is near 100%, i can see a vortex/whirlpool of Co2 gas swirling around at the top section of the reactor getting chopped up by the impellers and diffused into the water. No visible bubbles getting into the tank so its a nice change from the mist effect with my previous ceramic based inline diffuser.

I maintained the same bps rate as before and my drop checker still shows the same green color. The plants are still growing and pearling well so it is effective.

The only thing is when the Co2 is actively being injected there is a slight trickling sound from the reactor, though you have to get close to notice it. I have mine in a cabinet so i can't hear it unless i open the cabinet door. Otherwise its virtually silent when Co2 is not injected.

For this model, it recommends to use canister filters which have between 360 l/ph - 1,000 l/ph flow rates for optimal performance. I assume if the flow is too slow, the system may get stuck, and if too fast the Co2 bubbles might just get washed out too quickly without being fully dissolved.

The good thing about this type of reactor system is it doesn't require high pressure to operate, so it's usable for those with lower pressure Co2 regulators too.

Overall, quite happy with this system.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by PKB View Post
    Hi guys,

I am thinking of trying out this ISTA external CO2 reactor but I do not want to use it the conventional way. I don't want to reduce the flow rate of my Eheim 2028 by connecting this reactor to it. I am thinking of submerging the whole reactor into the tank and connect it to a power head. This can also improve the flow in the tank as well. Please feel share your views on this idea.
    Yeah, you could do that too... just have to arrange the reactor's inflow and outflow inside the tank so that it can efficiently distribute the dissolved Co2, ie. install a L-joint on the output to act as an directional outflow pipe. Make sure to cover the intake with a sponge guard so that fishes and shrimps don't get sucked into it too.

The only disadvantage is the whole unit will take up space inside the tank and be visible, have to find ways to hide it.

An alternative is to use the ISTA Mix Max reactors, similar working design too:

Photo from Google Images.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I intend to hide it behind my stem plants, I used to use the ISTA Mix Max Reactor that u show below but it slowed down the flow from canister significantly. That why I am thinking of driving it with a power head and leave my canister alone. Any additional flow from the power head is a bonus. The reactor that u are using now looks nicer :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, you could do that too... just have to arrange the reactor's inflow and outflow inside the tank so that it can efficiently distribute the dissolved Co2, ie. install a L-joint on the output to act as an directional outflow pipe. Make sure to cover the intake with a sponge guard so that fishes and shrimps don't get sucked into it too.

The only disadvantage is the whole unit will take up space inside the tank and be visible, have to find ways to hide it.

An alternative is to use the ISTA Mix Max reactors, similar working design too:

Photo from Google Images.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just to update the installation, shared the problems faced and the latest setup. I am trying to achieve a mist free CO2 enriched condition in the tank by using a power head and an internal reactor. I did not install the CO2 reactor to my canister because I don't want to reduce the canister flow rate. I am injecting CO2 at a rate of 5-6 BPS for a 422 planted tank.

I did a few test.

Attempt 1
    I bought a 600L/Hr power head and paired it with a "M" size ISTA Max Mix Reactor and the result was the CO2 fine bubbles get push out of the reactor and got sprayed into the tank. The undissolved CO2 bubble created a misty effect in the tank.

Atempt 2
    I changed the power head outlet from 1 outlet to 2 outlet to reduce the flow (The power head comes with a single outlet and double outlet option.) Hoping that the reduce flow will allow the CO2 bubble to fully dissolve before exiting the reactor. Still the same result, fine CO2 bubble get pushed out and creating misting effect.

Attempt 3
    I use the same setup in test 2 but this time I added filter mat to the reactor hoping to prevent the CO2 bubble from escaping the reactor before it was fully dissolved. There is improvement but there are still micro bubble escaping.

Attempt 4
    Thinking that the problem could be because of the reactor size, I bought a "L" size ISTA Max Mix reactor and setup a double reactor system in the tank. I use a spliter to
    split the CO2 delivery. The target is the half the CO2 supply into each reactor and hope with the reduced CO2 supply into the reactor I can achieve 100% CO2 dissolving rate and not misting effect in the tank. The plan failed again. The reason is the CO2 supply did not divided equally although I use a spilter. Only one reactor gets the CO2 supply. Zero for the 2nd reactor.

Attempt 5
    It's getting frustrating. So I thought, since connecting the 2 reactor in parallel doesn't works, I connected them in series. Let the water flow through the M size reactor and
    connect the outlet of the M size reactor to the inlet of the L size reactor. I was thinking, this has to work. But still no. Micro CO2 bubble still gets blown out. Another problem is that one of the reactor propeller keeps getting stuck and not rotating.

Attempt 6
    I connected only the L size reactor to the power head (Still using the double outlet option), I use back the filter map idea (This time I roll them real tight) and squeeze them onto the bottom of the L size reactor. Finally it seems to work. CO2 bubbles are trap in the reactor and dissolving before existing the reactor. No more misting effect in the tank.
    I will have to monitor a few days and see. Hopefully this will be my final attempt. Video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJl7e2G1Po

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try and open the reactor and trim the 2nd rotor to allow it to spin faster, that will further improve the Co2 dissolve rate... in some units, the rotor's plastic molding might result in a tight fit which creates resistance, ideally both rotors should be spinning very fast.

If you watch the demo video from ISTA, you can see both rotors in these reactors spinning fast:

www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm facing the same issue with my ista max mix (m) (connected to eheim Ecco pro 130). Similarly, I've tried to get the perfect 100% co2 dissolved rate but to no avail. Keeping my eye on this thread if you managed to solve it!