Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass Ceramic diffuser

46 38.02%
  • Atomic diffuser

21 17.36%
  • Inline diffuser

26 21.49%
  • CO2 reactor

31 25.62%
  • others

8 6.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    somehow i knew your using diy co2, don't touch it and it shall be more stable.

for signature, since your signature in fourm is active. just disable in tapatalk it will work.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

heehee... i got impatient itchy hands syndrome. Once, I see something amiss, can't wait to get it straighten out. Anyway, that could be a good advise for everyone who planned for a DIY CO2 system. For me, my lazy syndrome kicked in and I had gone with pressurized CO2 cylinder.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

patience is a big virtue.

need to level up on that haha..
    but advise normally is not being read up until thing go wrong. most people just read basics and skip.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ConcaveLiNkiN View Post
    Are you able to share a photo of it?

Thanks.

Cheers
    eRic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Eric,

Unable to share a picture as I remove it and change the powerhead to a bigger one. I am attaching a skimmer to this bigger power head to get rid of the film and dust on the water surface. The CO2 is now insert via the out of this bigger power head now.

Will share a picture on the bigger power head with skimmer later.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    patience is a big virtue.

need to level up on that haha..
    but advise normally is not being read up until thing go wrong. most people just read basics and skip.
    Now my patient level is ground low. But whenever things go amiss, I tend to spend restless hours trying to fix it.

For me, practical works better than theory. As i am impatient, I always jump into the pratical stage with minimum required readings and I always learn things the hard way. Haha... Think I will need to work on that.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by PKB View Post
    Hi Eric,

Unable to share a picture as I remove it and change the powerhead to a bigger one. I am attaching a skimmer to this bigger power head to get rid of the film and dust on the water surface. The CO2 is now insert via the out of this bigger power head now.

Will share a picture on the bigger power head with skimmer later.
    No worries, do share the picture of your bigger powerhead with skimmer.

My tank had been 10days old, and I do not encounter any film and dust on the surface. Not sure if they will ever occur. This is what I did:

i installed my powerhead at the back of my tank
    with the deflector of the powerhead pointing towards the tank wall slighly towards the surface of the water:

the current is actually strong enough to create a sort of agitation on the surface of the water

Perhaps the constant movement of the water surface prevented the film and dust. If this technique I used proves itself, I might not need a surface skimmer afterall?

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am using a Co2 reactor. CO2 pressurised at about 25psi at 1 bps for 3 feet tank. CO2 supply cut off when PH controller sense 6.5PH. Previously it was on an inline diffuser at 3bps, and it need higher CO2 psi.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@Atham, not sure if i am reading it right. You are using less bps for Co2 reactor compare to inline diffuser, this is because you feel the reactor is better?

From your picture, you seems to use two light set. Care to show your full tank shot? Seems like it is a very high light tank.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@bennyc. The amount of PH lower during CO2 injection for either CO2 reactor and diffuser is the same - about 0.3-0.5PH, but I lower than bps when I switch to active reactor. The reactor has the effect of drawing CO2, but I don't see any small bubble misting at the pipe outlet. While, as for diffuser - more CO2 pressure is required to force the CO2 out of the diffuser and also small bubble leaks. Just my feeling. The reactor installation is less tan a month old, I still need to monitor the plant grow.

Yes, there are 4x39W lamps. There is a period of high algae infection on my moss and also the stem plant was been suppressed to crawling, I only switch on the 1st front ground lamp and the 4th back ground lamp.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Atham View Post
    I am using a Co2 reactor. CO2 pressurised at about 25psi at 1 bps for 3 feet tank. CO2 supply cut off when PH controller sense 6.5PH. Previously it was on an inline diffuser at 3bps, and it need higher CO2 psi.

Is that the ISTA Turbo Co2 Reactor?

From your experience so far, how is the noise level on that model, and does it reduce flow significantly?

Reason why i ask is because i was also considering it too, but my previous experience with other CO2 reactors with impellers was that they tend to have a rattling noise after some time (probably depends on the impeller design).

If this reactor runs quietly, i'd be keen to try it out too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post

From your experience so far, how is the noise level on that model, and does it reduce flow significantly?

Reason why i ask is because i was also considering it too, but my previous experience with other CO2 reactors with impellers was that they tend to have a rattling noise after some time (probably depends on the impeller design).

I believe this particular model is from Sera.

I am currently using the normal medium mixer from Ista. Noise wise, not that I have notice. If you are concern on the affected flow rate, you can try connecting it to an external pump instead. Though it might look pretty ugly from the tank perspective.

There is this one from up-aqua which I feel is pretty effective:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2...reactorbig.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post

@Urban - This is Sera Flore active reactor 1000. If I put my ear close and to touching the cylinder, yes I will hear water bubbling noise caused by the Co2 hitting those rotary. Otherwise, I would not hear the noise standing in front of it. When I first deploy it, I forgot to get rid of the air inside, water rattling noise was bad. But this reactor needs high flow at least 700lph and hose diameter is 16/22mm. I am using a Ehiem Ecco 300 canister to water to this reactor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Atham View Post
    @Urban - This is Sera Flore active reactor 1000. If I put my ear close and to touching the cylinder, yes I will hear water bubbling noise caused by the Co2 hitting those rotary. Otherwise, I would not hear the noise standing in front of it. When I first deploy it, I forgot to get rid of the air inside, water rattling noise was bad. But this reactor needs high flow at least 700lph and hose diameter is 16/22mm. I am using a Ehiem Ecco 300 canister to water to this reactor.
    Thanks for the info!

I was looking at the ISTA version at the various LFS a while back (that model fits 12/16mm tubes), which i guess is a "copycat" of the original Sera one.

Will check them out and maybe get a set to try soon.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seeking some feedback from those using the UP Inline Diffuser. I'm using the Ocean Free regulator that puts my working pressure at about 30-35 PSI. However, the issue I am having is that the pressure is so high that I find my connection to the bubble counter always springs a leak. I'm using the GUSH Orb counter, and after a few minutes of switching the CO2 on, one of the ends of the tubing/bubble counter connection will leak CO2.

Is this a problem with my bubble counter, or if not what can I do to prevent this?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

get the bubble counter and check valve that use screw type to secure the hose.

something like (image from google)

-Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The ISTA one available at East Ocean? I was using the metal check valves from GC and the GUSH Orb counter. Will head out to buy the ISTA one with screws later!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    The ISTA one available at East Ocean? I was using the metal check valves from GC and the GUSH Orb counter. Will head out to buy the ISTA one with screws later!
    Glass bubble counters tend to have smooth input ports so i guess the Co2 tubing can't grip as well on them under pressure, do make sure you are also using tubing designed for higher pressure Co2 usage too, those are usually the thicker ones made of much stronger material.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just an update to this thread... a few days back i broke one of my inline diffuser Co2 input ports while doing maintenance (those are the thinnest bits of plastic on diffuser units, very easy to snap off if not careful), basically rendering it useless.

I considered fixing it with epoxy glue, but didn't want to risk it due to the higher pressures i'm running on my system.

So i decided to get a replacement system. Eventually getting the ISTA external CO2 reactor from LFS (similiar design to the Sera version that Atham is using from a few posts back).

Got it setup...

I've been using it for a few days and so far it works great, Co2 diffusion rate is near 100%, i can see a vortex/whirlpool of Co2 gas swirling around at the top section of the reactor getting chopped up by the impellers and diffused into the water. No visible bubbles getting into the tank so its a nice change from the mist effect with my previous ceramic based inline diffuser.

I maintained the same bps rate as before and my drop checker still shows the same green color. The plants are still growing and pearling well so it is effective.

The only thing is when the Co2 is actively being injected there is a slight trickling sound from the reactor, though you have to get close to notice it. I have mine in a cabinet so i can't hear it unless i open the cabinet door. Otherwise its virtually silent when Co2 is not injected.

For this model, it recommends to use canister filters which have between 360 l/ph - 1,000 l/ph flow rates for optimal performance. I assume if the flow is too slow, the system may get stuck, and if too fast the Co2 bubbles might just get washed out too quickly without being fully dissolved.

The good thing about this type of reactor system is it doesn't require high pressure to operate, so it's usable for those with lower pressure Co2 regulators too.

Overall, quite happy with this system.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 23rd Sep 2013 at 15:44.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I got the Ocean Free bubble counter with screws, and using the thick wall Taiya CO2 tubing. Issue I'm facing now is that the bubble count is really really slow. No matter how much I open my needle valve, I'm getting maybe 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Does this mean that the pressure is too high for my solenoid to handle?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    I got the Ocean Free bubble counter with screws, and using the thick wall Taiya CO2 tubing. Issue I'm facing now is that the bubble count is really really slow. No matter how much I open my needle valve, I'm getting maybe 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Does this mean that the pressure is too high for my solenoid to handle?
    But got mist? Mine also similar, slow down when it start to mist.

other owners can contribute

Semi-Active currently

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast