Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass Ceramic diffuser

46 38.02%
  • Atomic diffuser

21 17.36%
  • Inline diffuser

26 21.49%
  • CO2 reactor

31 25.62%
  • others

8 6.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yup! Definitely a learning experience for me. I ended up not closing the needle valve enough overnight after fixing the system and came to office today to all my fish gasping at the surface as CO2 comes on 1 hour before I come to work (surprisingly the CRS were fine). And this is with the lily pipe lifted to encourage oxygen exchange overnight.

The boraras are fine now after I stopped the CO2 for an hour. Otos and cories still looking weak. I hope they recover

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Those look really like Dennerle and Bioplast type of one way valve.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Those look really like Dennerle and Bioplast type of one way valve.
    its below $5, dennerle one is much.more costly.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

$2-$3 only, very cheap
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've read through the interesting thread and the points made are worth summarising.

Could I ask a few qn as I am going to set up CO2 soon:

(1) There has been discussion about inline needing high psi. How do I know if the equipment I'm buying will be able to deliver the psi needed for inline reactor if that is the best method? Or should most equipment be able to deliver the PSI needed?

(2) Does needing high psi for inline reactor translate to more CO2 delivered? I.e. inline reactor will be delivering a lot of Co2 to the tank, and not all tanks need that much Co2?

also recommendations of where to get full CO2 setup also appreciated. I just went East Ocean they got no stock...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    I've read through the interesting thread and the points made are worth summarising.

(1) There has been discussion about inline needing high psi. How do I know if the equipment I'm buying will be able to deliver the psi needed for inline reactor if that is the best method? Or should most equipment be able to deliver the PSI needed?

I believed you can only see the working PSI after it is connected to the CO2 tank. From most feedback, (you have to look at the different brands mention in the previous posts of users) different brands required different working PSI. Therefore, try to choose the one that does not require such a high working psi. From what i gather most of the inline diffuser required a high psi. Alternative, you can consider CO2 reactor but they are quite bulky.

(2) Does needing high psi for inline reactor translate to more CO2 delivered? I.e. inline reactor will be delivering a lot of Co2 to the tank, and not all tanks need that much Co2?

High working psi does not means more Co2. You control the amount of CO2 (bubbles per second, bps) through adjusting your needle valve.

also recommendations of where to get full CO2 setup also appreciated. I just went East Ocean they got no stock...

It depends where you stay.

Nayang seaview (seletar farmway), NA (near thomson medical) provides one to one exchange to topup Co2 if you buy from them (it saves times and money as you do not have to go collect another day.

Bioplast(near boon keng mrt) provides sameday topup.

Clementi blk 328 local fish shop also sells co2.

And of course the buy and sell market at AQ will have people selling their 2nd hand set at a good price, just have to look out for it.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

when you connect the regulator there are 2 indicator. One is for the tank the other is working pressure/pressure inside regulator.
    Check with the LFS before you buy.

high psi does not directly translate to better co2 enrichment. (example you have high PSI but hook it to a simple diffuser@3bps)
    These inline are much thicker and Co2 that can squeeze out are smaller, also harder and more air pressure require to squeeze them out.

Generally speaking, smaller bubbles seems to stay longer in water and better for enrichment.
    Personal view is more surface area and stay longer in water, but some other views might differ thou we all think small bubbles are better.

Co2 set,You can see how fast you get back your tank (1hour or 2-3 days after) and where the LFS is. For drivers i see them preferring a personal aluminum tank & are stuck with BIOPLAST if they want on spot refill.

I am using NA myself, since i can just walk over and 1-1 exchange to a prefilled tank. (they still offer top up for personal tank but there is a wait time.)

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

When i have the time, i could summarise the thread. Info is in too many thread.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The info in the thread gave me the confidence to take the plunge to get CO2. Went to C328 and the uncle recommended Ocean Free Solenoid with screw in bubble counter/check valve. Seems to be a ok product. (annoyance was one of the required washers was tied together with the power cord - didn't notice and installed without the washer, hear hissing sound, and then found the washer... so far so good, but all this additional tubing, hope nothing comes loose...

For the diffuser, I believe its an Up-Aqua 'single sheath' inline diffuser. Seems ok but CO2 bublles do gather in the reactor after some time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats! Can go hi tech tank now. Since you got it from c328, maybe you can look for 2nd hand cylinders as backup, while you waiting for your topup.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For the diffuser, I believe its an Up-Aqua 'single sheath' inline diffuser. Seems ok but CO2 bublles do gather in the reactor after some time.
    Just curious, are you using an inline diffuser and reactor together in the same line?
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

think its the commonly found version . the one with 1 ceremic tube, most are the thinner tube.

reactor maybe mean the chamber where the tubes are housed.
    Or perhaps he orthodox like i was haha...

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Which Co2 Delivery system are you using

Ans solenoid, with first generation up inline diffuser, been a year. So far so good, didn't experience with pressure issue. Even my ans indicator is showing 25 psi.

I stocked up 1 more diffuser, just in case it broke off

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sorry Urban, probably my use of terminology is not precise. I am only using an Up-Aqua inline diffusor not reactor. It only has the small ceramic tube, whereas theres a twin version with both small and large tube. I followed the C328 uncle's recommendation and purchased the single small tube version.

I guess the next challenge is to ensure that the CO2 matches the lighting intensity or vice-versa...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

folks who using the UP aqua new inline, need your info about which unit you buy and how are you using it.

I bought the double tube one, had a ton of problems when trying to hold everything nicely to get mist.
    Now i am using only larger tube, able to get mist but got this feeling lose double tube abit. I already tuned down my BPS to desired level and just nice got some smaller mist.

Which combination you guys using.

@Urban, the seal when i used just the larger tube is much better. Not yet test smaller tube.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    folks who using the UP aqua new inline, need your info about which unit you buy and how are you using it.

I bought the double tube one, had a ton of problems when trying to hold everything nicely to get mist.
    Now i am using only larger tube, able to get mist but got this feeling lose double tube abit. I already tuned down my BPS to desired level and just nice got some smaller mist.

Which combination you guys using.

@Urban, the seal when i used just the larger tube is much better. Not yet test smaller tube.
    I guess it depends on the fitment of the ceramic tubes and rubber spacers within the individual units... because of the modular parts for ease of cleaning, there is a tendency for tiny gaps to appear whenever its taken apart and fixed back together, usually have to adjust until it gets a good seal.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@urban, think mine construction not so good. besides the finish around the o ring, i found when using just 1 tube the seal actually better & formed within 2hours a tight seal. when i used 2 tubes after 4 days no good seal.

ill try swapping the smaller tube after i got time. (confirm after my mom operation is done, right now no time) then i will post a update, if i can a video.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe the variations in fit between the large and small ceramic tubes might be affecting how well it seals when both are installed (one might be just slightly longer than the other)... probably have to mix and match the parts to find the best fit.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the length of the tubes did came up to me as cause as well & finishing of the cover.

i still left some teflon tape inside to help the seal when i used the large one.

lots of thing can affect such a set which can take apart. maybe the 1st version which is sealed tight be better for not so tech folks.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I thought I should post my questions here rather to start up another new problem thread. After gathering the preferred choice for CO2 delivery system, I got myself the up aqua new "inline super diffuser" system (as per picture above shared by erwinx). Happily, I set it up to a second hand pressurized CO2 tank (with solenoid, dual gauges) which I bought in the Marketplace forum.

FYI, I am new to pressurized CO2 set-up. After turning on the CO2 cylinder, my working pressure reads 50psi and the cylinder pressure reads 900psi. And when I turn on the needle valve, my working pressure drops below 50psi. In general, when I increase the bps, the lower the working pressure. Therefore, I have to tune the bps release such that my working pressure hovers between 35-40psi.
    The up aqua inline diffuser requires at least 36psi to work. Is what I am experiencing normal? Is working pressure correlates to bps? Can I turn the CO2 cylinder to the max to increase my working pressure?

Next I notice there are no air bubbles visible in the diffuser chamber even after I left it on for >1 hr. I set the release at 2bps. Is this also to be expected?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast