1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Qns - guppies and shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently, I have been seeing my guppies searching for my cherry shrimps and they attack themin group. Just today I saw one nice cherry died after the attack.

Anyone with the same experience can share? I thought they can be together in a tank?

The strange thing my kissing gourami is the peaceful one.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Qns - guppies and shrimps

I have endlers and cherries. I find that guppies will put anything in their mouth. If it fits and it's edible, they eat.

They rarely attack my yamatos, which are larger than them.
    I am balding but i am still young!

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

guppy/platy/molly will peck everything... including my mole on my hand also "kena'" peck...lol

the weird thing is my endlers/neon tetras/white mountain minnow do not disturb my shrimps... they do compete for food, but never chase/peck shrimps... maybe its just my fish are more peaceful?

Kissing guorami peaceful?? thats new to me, i remember last time mine keep on KISSING my gold fish ....lol

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    guppy/platy/molly will peck everything... including my mole on my hand also "kena'" peck...lol

the weird thing is my endlers/neon tetras/white mountain minnow do not disturb my shrimps... they do compete for food, but never chase/peck shrimps... maybe its just my fish are more peaceful?

Kissing guorami peaceful?? thats new to me, i remember last time mine keep on KISSING my gold fish ....lol
    Haha I think maybe different environment different fish ba. Mine is very peaceful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I do keep neon tetras with cherry shrimps and my observation is that neon tetras will only disturb the shrimps (in term of pecking) when they are fighting for the same food. Other than that, they tends to mind their own business. Nevertheless, I am not sure if keeping both together will give extra stress to the shrimps, resulting in them not breeding. Any bros or sis can advice on this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I keep sakura,rockets and yamato shrimps together with rasboras, rummy nose, guppy(including endlers), platys.
    They are one big happy family. Some times the rummy may stare as the rockets slide by, but they don't bite.
    I make sure that the fishes are well fed. It may have helped. I have seen shrimplets around. it could have been more, but not sure

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The size of the tank, the stocking density and the plant density makes a difference too.

The larger the tank, the lower the stocking density and higher the plant mass, the less likely the dwarf shrimps get harassed by fishes.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The size of the tank, the stocking density and the plant density makes a difference too.

The larger the tank, the lower the stocking density and higher the plant mass, the less likely the dwarf shrimps get harassed by fishes.
    Makes a lot of sense, have to agree on this. I think I have to decide either shrimp or fish.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dodofish View Post
    Makes a lot of sense, have to agree on this. I think I have to decide either shrimp or fish.
    You could also consider planting your existing tank very densely... i've found that in my tanks which have a lot of dense plant growth and hiding places, the shrimps are still able to thrive and breed abundantly even when kept in a community amongst fishes that can eat them.

The only issue with planting very densely is that you'll probably only get to see maybe 20-30% of your shrimps at any one time, the rest all hanging out safely deep inside the undergrowth, you'll only discover all of them when you de-comm the tank.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

At the moment, I have one side densely plant with Pygmy swordgrass (hope I get the name right). Most of my shrimps only move around this area. The other side waiting for dwarf grass to propagate, previously using e tenullus. But don't really like the color and the way it spread.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my 2-feet tank has guppies, endlers, neon tetras living together with shrimps

din observe such issue happening, probably because the tank's quite dense

in fact, the shrimps are reproducing fast... the endlers are reproducing as well

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok I am pretty sure they hunt for my dwarf cherry. All my cherry gone after I came back from taiwan sigh.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dodofish View Post
    Ok I am pretty sure they hunt for my dwarf cherry. All my cherry gone after I came back from taiwan sigh.
    Sorry to hear that; however peaceful they may live together, they are still predators vs prey...

Do you have someone to help you feed the fishes? the fishes might be hungry thus they hunt for food especially your kissing guorami.

Try not to keep any fish that has a mouth that is big enough to swallow the shrimps ( best is to keep shrimp only tank of course)

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol