Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Hello every one. I am a newbie and here is my first planted tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hello every one. I am a newbie and here is my first planted tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi every one.

I am Victor, new member. I am also a newbie in planted tank and I have just setup my first planted tank. Hope to get recommendation from the seniors. Thank a lot.

And here is my newly setup planted tank (with 150 tetra neons and some guppies):

After 1 week I started adding some discus (ALSS and Red melon):

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Victor

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hello every one. I am a newbie and here is my first planted tank.

wow... nice tank...welcome to aq

so many fishes... your white sand will be covered by poo in no time.....hehehe

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

nice..the plants looks healthy
    me also newbie here..just set-up my first tank few weeks back, hope my plants will grow

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@ wongce: Thank you very much. I also think that I should remove white sand later. They are actually turned brown now (after 3 weeks).
    Btw, could you share how to grow the red-color plants? Seem green color plants are growing well, but red color plants is grownling more slowly and are loosing their red color?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is your first setup? Wow! Great start

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you want red plants, you can try the red tiger lotus, they grow quite fast according to my experience

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You need sufficient fertilizer,rich soil,high light,sufficient co2 for red plants. Some are easier but may not display good or rich redness if the elements are not fulfilled.

Since you just started,i do not recommend you to dive into red plants just yet. Turning all to HIGH mode might cause unncessary stress to you and the tank....aka high cost + algae growth.

Concentrate on learning the ropes, get the hang of the regime... Then slowly add some easier red plants like rotala indica.

Enjoy the hobby....like me....cheers

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow! Are you sure you are a newbie? Your tank looks awesome! Nice plants and colorful fishes.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ConcaveLiNkiN View Post
    Wow! Are you sure you are a newbie? Your tank looks awesome! Nice plants and colorful fishes.
    Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, sure. I am a newbie in Planted tank. Actually I have another tank but used combination of fake-plant and real plant, DIY 2 T5 light without soil to gain experience. Fishes in that tank include tiger barbs, zebra danios, angle fish and golden fish (they live peacefully together). Here is that tank:

However for my new planted tank I am having a problem. It seem there are too many snail inside the tank. I am not sure where do they come from and don't know they are good or not, but it seem they are breeding very fast. Could any senior give me suggestion on how to deal with it?

Thank you very much.

Victor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by VictorTQT View Post
    Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, sure. I am a newbie in Planted tank. Actually I have another tank but used combination of fake-plant and real plant, DIY 2 T5 light without soil to gain experience. Fishes in that tank include tiger barbs, zebra danios, angle fish and golden fish (they live peacefully together). Here is that tank:

However for my new planted tank I am having a problem. It seem there are too many snail inside the tank. I am not sure where do they come from and don't know they are good or not, but it seem they are breeding very fast. Could any senior give me suggestion on how to deal with it?

Thank you very much.

Victor.
    2 ways to do it.

1. Get around 3 dwarf puffer fishes and they will slup up the snails like escargots.
    2. Another way is to get this:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...ish-supply.jpg
    Or you can DIY it:
    http://youtu.be/f8DlagAzCbE

Cheers
    eRic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To solve snail problem:-

Employ assassin snail:- slow but efficient
    Manual removal
    Reduce feeding
    Quarantine plants before introduce into aquarium
    Use snail traps

Do NOT buy puffer fish, these guys are not community fish, they will bite/nip other fish/shrimps after they finish off the snails. They are cute but not for everyone.

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

to add on, in the event that you employ puffers to solve the problem, what do you do with them after all the snails are gone?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Berny View Post
    to add on, in the event that you employ puffers to solve the problem, what do you do with them after all the snails are gone?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
    Feed them with other live food... Haha... I think personally, I like puffers a lot. So I wanted to keep them. That is why I will go to an extend to keep them. That is replacing my other fishes once they are being eaten :O to getting tubifex worms for them and stuffs. I understand owners will not want to introduce terrors into the community. Perhaps my emphasis is my on my fishes that I like to the community. Hmmmm... Evil me...

Cheers
    eRic

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ConcaveLiNkiN View Post
    Feed them with other live food... Haha... I think personally, I like puffers a lot. So I wanted to keep them. That is why I will go to an extend to keep them. That is replacing my other fishes once they are being eaten :O to getting tubifex worms for them and stuffs. I understand owners will not want to introduce terrors into the community. Perhaps my emphasis is my on my fishes that I like to the community. Hmmmm... Evil me...

Cheers
    eRic

Don't try to force your belief down other people's throat. While you might know the consequences of having a DP in a community tank, TS might not. Is he ready or even prepared to sacrifice all his fish for the sake of removing snails? Would be good if you add in the consequences of adding a DP in though.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

HI,
    First off, its a very nice tank.
    you had some cardinals going in a school. I thought that was very nice, with the guppies schooling them. When you added the discus, did they school anymore? or were they broken into pockets?

What substrate below the white sand are you using? If you are using soil below the sand, take note when you remove the sand, nitrate/ammonia levels might increase.

The nana "tree" is well done. I really like it. I know it will be a very nice focal point. if not for the fern branch on the right. You might want to consider some movement of the tree?

are you doing CO2 injection? If you are not and the tank is doing well, do not put CO2 in. as for the red plants, do not worry about them. if you really want to put some, consider the red lotus (if you have a good substrate) or like Wongce said, rotala.

I see alot of pumps in the tank. is it for circulation or filtration? speaking of which, what filter do you use? and what lights? Its quite a bit of bioload you have going there.

Any algae issues?
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    HI,
    First off, its a very nice tank.
    you had some cardinals going in a school. I thought that was very nice, with the guppies schooling them. When you added the discus, did they school anymore? or were they broken into pockets?

What substrate below the white sand are you using? If you are using soil below the sand, take note when you remove the sand, nitrate/ammonia levels might increase.

The nana "tree" is well done. I really like it. I know it will be a very nice focal point. if not for the fern branch on the right. You might want to consider some movement of the tree?

are you doing CO2 injection? If you are not and the tank is doing well, do not put CO2 in. as for the red plants, do not worry about them. if you really want to put some, consider the red lotus (if you have a good substrate) or like Wongce said, rotala.

I see alot of pumps in the tank. is it for circulation or filtration? speaking of which, what filter do you use? and what lights? Its quite a bit of bioload you have going there.

Any algae issues?
    Hi, I am sorry for my later reply. Thank you for your valued suggestion.
    Yes, the tetra still go in schooling, and it is very nice to see. However it seems they are growing quite fast, so I will have to remove half of them in the near future.
    For the substrate under the white stone, I used the GEX Shrimp and Plants soil from Japan, which was recommended by the seller at c328 Clementi

Thank you for your encouragement about the nan tree, I am also considering fern branch out from the tank, and rearrange the nana tree and the big stone in the middle.
    I am not doing CO2 injection, but seem the tank is doing well, plants are growing nicely and I think I will need to do trimming soon.
    For the pump system, I use one OHF system (1000L/h) and 2 internal filter. But I am considering to switch to a canister soon? Is it better? Btw, I am having 5 corries, 2 plecos and 2 ottos in my tank to clear the bio-load and I hope it should work.
    I am using the 3ft T5HO light with 2 39W bulbs, and they seem extremely bright.

For the algae problem, yes there is a bit but not too serious, just some green algae on the white stone on the substrate. But seem the worst problem is the back hair algae is sticking on the Xmas moss, which I cannot completely remove them. Do you have any idea?

Thank you very much.