Country
    Singapore

Blue Green Algae in Paludarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all

i have a 2 feet long paludarium, half filled with water, with the water reentering the tank via a waterfall at the top.

recently, i've had a horrible takeover by Blue Green algae, which fills my room with a foul smell and coats all the mosses with this thick bluish goo.
    may i know what is the best way to remove it?
    ive tried hydrogen peroxide, algaecide, removal but to no avail. it keeps coming back

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Blue Green Algae in Paludarium

Hi Mystikboy, maybe you want to do water test to check your nitrate, iron and phosphate levels? Also share pictures and more details like the setup consists of any live stocks? Your lighting timings? For the time being I suggest you do frequent water change and reduce your light timings.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mystiboy....BGA is not a true algae but a cyanobacteria. Using H2O2 and algaecide is not going to do squat to BGA with the exception of a wide spectrum antibiotic of which I will not recommend. Total Light Out is another method as well.

BGA loves a high nitrate, zero water circulation and bright lights. If your bio-load is high, reduce it. The guideline is 1cm of fish to 3 liters of water. Improve your water circulation. Observe for dead spots in your tank. during water change, do siphon as much muck as you can from the substrate level. Moss always accumulate muck especially when it is thick. fan it with your hands while holding the siphon to pull the muck out. If the moss is removable as in tied to rocks or wood, take it out and rinse it.

As for now what you can do is to siphon out the BGA and do a large water change.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi mystiboy,

So far, I never kana blue-green algae before on my 6ft palu for almost three years until I decided to pull down late Dec due to termite infected. Maybe I managed to eliminate the green-blue algae is to install UV light. My Laguna canister comes with UV light did help to contain algae for a period of 3 years. Mind you my bio-load always high due to five African dwarf frogs, two small red tail Gouramis and many aquatic fauna's sure kana BGA one. With another big help, my waterfall of 7000L/Hr pump also can reduce the it alot , too

But I need to see your build first before i can advise you ...okay
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this