Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

A question for the Bucephalandra keepers

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have any of you Buce keepers ever experience any melting of the leaves when keeping a Buce that was taken from emersed culture? Is melting of the leaves part of the transition between emerse and submerse phases like other aquatic plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A question for the Bucephalandra keepers

By right it should not if it is not going through a sudden change in environment.
    In the wild when raining season come some of it is submerse when flooded. And they survive and converted..

So you grow it emmerse and then you move it to submerse and it melted? Or you buy from a seller and he said it is in emmerse form?
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have tested some, realised that in fact, they thrive well in fact, they are propagating well under a non circulating environment. with just lights and WC.

some observations
    they grow well in cluster (even if they are splitted individually, but as a cluster, they will survive and grow better) this believe have to do with nature as it is proven that plants communicate and survive better being in a group than in solidarity. most of my clumps / clusters are out growing and doing well under a condition that is not deems as good as its peers whom are in single stalks.

melting could possibly occur too when plants are under stress or their rizhomes are kinda damaged. from emersed condition to submerged condition in a way is considered a stressed out environmental change to plants too. think about the factors, they have been harvested and transported from their natural environment to the farmers than possibly through a few hands before landing in yours. that itself to any living organism on earth is a potential big stress. during their transport, they are in emersed condition. when they were harvested, were they in emersed or submerged? if they are in submerged, that is a change point to factor in too. if not, transportation may not be stressed.

so with all the above consideration. when they land in your hands, to push it into submerged state could stress them out further, which is not surprising. when this happened, 2 things will usually happen.
    1. the plant may die from stress. and leaves melt.
    2. the plants are in shock. and requires an amount of time to recover too. this time frame varies from plants to plants, individual to individual.

but as i have pointed out 1 thing, when they are in clumps or cluster. they tend to do better than their counter parts.
    thus when you receive your plants, be careful. the seller is not intentionally stressing them out. but when melting occurs, look at the rizhome. if it is turning yellowish, pray. if not, continue monitoring and consider changing the environment to try to reduce its stress.

hope my 2 cents worth will help you in keeping your buceps alive.
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

order your fishes here. get quotes now!

email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
    some observations
    they grow well in cluster (even if they are splitted individually, but as a cluster, they will survive and grow better) this believe have to do with nature as it is proven that plants communicate and survive better being in a group than in solidarity. most of my clumps / clusters are out growing and doing well under a condition that is not deems as good as its peers whom are in single stalks.
    I have similar observation. My cluster thrives better than single stalk Buce.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bluebubbles View Post
    I have similar observation. My cluster thrives better than single stalk Buce.
    hows your buceps doing?

this cluster idea is actually proven for a rainforest eco system. plants communicate through roots. they even share nutrients and spread nutrients across to grow together.
    even if you see a GIANT tree standing alone, it is not a lone tree. there are ferns, grass, etc. its root network can spread for hundreds of metres in all direction and thus any plants within its vacinity is acting as a nod for it. small plants that is insignificant which often overlooked by us are in fact critical to such giant's survival as well.

coming back to the topic of melting and growing, we can apply these theories to it as well.
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

order your fishes here. get quotes now!

email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
    hows your buceps doing?

this cluster idea is actually proven for a rainforest eco system. plants communicate through roots.
    You sound like the scientist in Avatar...but it is true. There are vein in the forest all hidden underground.

My small leaves bucep are all doing fine and branching out quite rapidly in 4 directions while maintaining their red tone. I have never seen aqua plants maintaining that red color for so long...hahah. As for single stalk larger leave type, they still remain single stalk without much pogress except sending out new leaves to replace the older one.

Nevertheless, bucep is quite easy to maintain in a matured low tech tank. No melting of leaves except that when I first introduced them in my tank, one or two leaves will be detached during acclimatisation process.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My buceps all melted but new leaves have grown from the rhizome. I notice that as long as the rhizome is green and healthy, they will sprout new leaves after about 2-3 weeks after I purchased it.
    3ft Planted Tank Specs.
    1.5ft Reef Tank
    3.5ft Reef tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi I’m new to buceps. My buceps have leaves that curl inwards. Any idea what went wrong?
    I don’t inject co2and didn’t add fertilisers. Just lights for 8hours. Pls advise. 914EF686-EC89-41F8-9BBE-FEF0AA69B284.jpg
    -----------------------------
    Of all the things I had lost, I miss my mind the most...