Country
    Singapore

Fissiden burnt out. How?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, need your advice.
    Over the weekend i accidentally left my timer on which resulted in my lights being left on for 24hrs throughout from Fri to Mon for my office tank. This mistake caused my fissiden on my wood to be burnt out. Below is the photo:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379594539.507910.jpg

What should i do? Just leave it as it is or should i do something. If do something, what should i do? I am at a lost. Please advise. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fissiden burnt out. How?

Wow... looks like the fissidens really got burnt. I guess you could just leave it alone to recover, new green fronds should grow back out eventually.

Only issue i can think of is there would be more decomposing plant matter in the tank in the meantime, so it might be a good idea to either take out the wood and rinse away the dead fissidens with tank water, or do more frequent water changes.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes.. just remove the dry out one and do some water change as the surface sure got oil.. monitor your shrimp, hope no KIA.. In office the temperature is ok.. not to worry so much.. we always have this kind of thing happen in our office..what a waste.. got to wait till the plants grow back..
    Last edited by Max Lim; 19th Sep 2013 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, what bro urban and max said are right! its a pity man! do you have a pict of the fissiden on driftwood before they were burnt? i am sure they must be stunning!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks all for your replies and advise. Will do the plucking out of the burnt parts next week. I think after plucking out the burnt parts, the wood will have a lot of bare patches and holes. Sigh...hope the fissiden will crawl and cover up the hole soon.

And yes i had already taken out the wood to rinse once already, but i think i should do more frequent water changes.

As of now no casualties, even my low grade CRS are surviving. Haha. I think what i initially thought and also what me and my friends discussed was right, the more you care for your shrimps, the more "pampered" they will be a and thus, die easier. The more you don't care about them, the more hardy they become and thus, flourish better.

On a side note, below is a 'before' photo of the wood. Credits to JamesNeo who always produce good quality fissidens on his nice collection of driftwoods!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379608310.355095.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It is really nice! anyway your tank is acrylic or low iron-content glass tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Misa, my tank is the low iron one, which is being sold by GC.

Anyway nothing great about my tank because i copied the whole tank concept from Bro Urban Aquaria as that time i was still starting the hobby. My tank is not 'original' at all so don't deserve any good words. Haha 😁

This is Bro Urban Aquaria's original tank
    13-Litre-Nano-Tank!
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=98867

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I also got this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From the first picture I would have thought it resemble BBA or some sort of algae... Didn't know fissidens will burnout to that extend, always thought they just yellow, then brown and withered.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I encountered this before too on some parts of driftwood of mine but not as serious as yours.
    Usually, these "burnt" parts appeared nearer to the water surface where the lighting are more intense.

Give the fissiden a good trim and they will grow back. Good luck.
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66