Images
    Country
    Singapore

harnassing the sunlight for planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I understand that direct sunlight promotes algae, especially because of heat.
    However sunlight is possibly the best lights for plants as compared to expensive led or mh or t5.
    Has anyone tried to harness sunlight for plants via reflectors or mirrors or fibre optics cables?

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: harnassing the sunlight for planted tank

Fibre optics cables. WOAH that is going to cost a bomb.

The best way to harness, perhaps is to leave your tank outside or against the window like some of us do.

Its a price to pay if you can control the amount and timing of the lighting your plants receive. Which would be a make or break for our tanks when it comes to algae.
    Unless you have a method of controlling the intensity as well as the timing your tank received sunlight, I myself would pay abit more for a much greater chance of success.

Maybe you can think of it this way, a $300 LED set would cost less than $1 a day thats how departmental stores make you think that it's cheap to buy the items on installment..

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    I understand that direct sunlight promotes algae, especially because of heat.
    However sunlight is possibly the best lights for plants as compared to expensive led or mh or t5.
    Has anyone tried to harness sunlight for plants via reflectors or mirrors or fibre optics cables?
    The tech is already out there, compared to led/mh/t5 it is even more expensive
    that excludes the effort to renovate your house (local HDB sorry, landed folks got chance at this) for the fixtures.

Image credits Ecogeek.org, .himawari-net

Himawari system
    http://www.himawari-net.co.jp/e_page13.htm
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess putting the tank next to the window and automating motorized blinds to open and close on timer would be easier (and cheaper).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I guess putting the tank next to the window and automating motorized blinds to open and close on timer would be easier (and cheaper).
    Just put mirror even cheaper. But these systems do have some filter, unlike what i am doing myself (exposed to full fledged sunlight)

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

angus, just put it near the window. The biggest concern with sunlight is GW (greenwater) if you have some sort of CO2 injection and nutrients, I don't think heat is much of an issue. If it does, put a fan. If you want to be more cautious, stick UVA and UVB solar film on your window...
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

haha, my 4 ft tank is already beside the window with solar film on the tank and the window!
    last I suffered from the Cladophora algae, but not green water.
    Now I use reflector, but to reflect away the sun. I use car windscreen reflector on my tank.
    I also use a 30cm by 10cm mirror to reflect some of the evening sunlight back to the tank.
    end of the day, it is about seeing a lot of sunlight that is blocked, but wonder if it can be redirected for good use. Himawari looks like a science/tech prototype.
    beside mirror, has anyone used anything else? how about a light reflector like the camera light diffuser type? or any other DIY contraption?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not all solar films are created equal. If yours is ceramic based the rejection rate is not as good as metallic based.

You need good water circulation and good amount if CO2 and nutrients. I have seen very successful planted tanks here in KL and they placed it at the front porch with at least 5 to 6 hours of sunlight.

I do noticed a lot or high nutrients sucking stemmed plants.

Barley straws maybe the trick as well.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess when using the sun to light up a tank, the management techniques would become more akin to pond keeping.

In our aquariums we can control the amount and duration of light artificially (which is already tough to keep in balance)... but when using sunlight its left to the mercy of the fluctuating weather, one day could be rainy and not much sun, the next day could be heat wave with super intense sunlight, mega challenge to control.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I guess when using the sun to light up a tank, the management techniques would become more akin to pond keeping.

In our aquariums we can control the amount and duration of light artificially (which is already tough to keep in balance)... but when using sunlight its left to the mercy of the fluctuating weather, one day could be rainy and not much sun, the next day could be heat wave with super intense sunlight, mega challenge to control.
    Tell me about it , argh everyday WC....

http://impervious-endeavors.blogspot...aded-farm.html

Semi-Active currently