Country
    Singapore

New Paludarium set up.....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It started with a sketch.....

Then it was time to plan and get a tank, which I did, a used two footer bought from a seller in this forum.....

did not want to use a new tank and did not have the heart to destroy something new and the original plan was to partition the tank with a glass or acylic piece and silicon... after after having a hard time finding the piece, I read in this forum of how someone used a tub ..... and so that what I did....

This was the first set up.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New Paludarium set up.....

The initial setup have two water features, water falling over the tall dragon rock on the left and also water seeping between rocks on the surface,.... but I was not happy.....

then I was browsing through the catalog of east ocean and found an articificial rock which I believe will be nice..... so I went to bought it and this is the final result... had to tear the first setup completely apart to come up with this....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How do I get plants to stick on the surface of the water feature?

Here's a vid of it....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi kapitan,

That's really a fabulous palu you got, what a built! I appreciated to see your build

There are few questions and a few things to improve and create more natural surrounding of your palu. Are you game for it?

What the i/c of this two standing flora located on the dry area? Can its root withstand the wet flooded soil with no appropriate drainage? Without and proper drainage, its root may turn rot or your tree-like flora 's leaves may turn yellow or will have brown tip showing this flora has been over-watered.

Try to camouflage those pipelines(outlet and the rain-bar) with either hid with bog wood or silicon(black) the pipeline and overlay with the same substrate you got or wood chips and allow to cure for next 24hrs hence it will definitely look more natural.

let em know your thoughts
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The two standing floral (trees)... its some bonsai I bought in Katong.... the dry area is actually in a tub and is not flooded, though I had accidently overfilled the water level in the wet area ... got rid of the water in the tub and waiting for the soil in the dry land to dry.....

This was only completed yesterday and I will try and camouflage the piping this weekend.... I feel the water pressure coming out of the articificial rock is insufficient, will change that and also add some moss to the top of the water feature and have dripping water... , I would also like to add a small river running length wise across the land area, try to do this over the weekend... and its on Tuesday...

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, it's a bonsai! I must say this going to be very interesting.

Nobody uses bonsai for palu or even vivarium conditions. It might be possible to grow bonsai in larger vivaria, but I know this is not commonly achieved before, lor the two reasons are bonsai will not adapt well to the hot, humid environment of the palu and its roots will be getting bigger and deeper and will reach soil that is always soggy in the bottom layers without any drainage, thus this going to a short lifespan for this two bonsai.

However, I like your daring and ambition trying out new things that never done before hence this going to be a blast to see you successfully grow bonsai in palu. no harm trying out ,lor
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cools bonsai, what fauna are you planning to keep in it?
    I keep sulawesi shrimps, tetras, birds, exotic pets, herptiles and monster fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice set up, I never had courage to set a Paludarium. Question though, the Hair Grass under the platform, can light from the lamp reach them?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is not working out, the plastic tub must be leaking. I can see water in the soil to the same level of water in the tank. Need to tear this down again and redo. Will purchase a nana glass tank for the insert instead (and why didn't I thought of that earlier).

Yes, light do reach the hair grass below platform, I am actually using two sets of lights....but as this will be torn down, I will be planting less demanding grass of e tenullus under the platform instead....

Stay tune, I will take pictures of each step of how I set this up again....

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting setup. Keep up the nice and creative concepts. Going to keep any fauna?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is it possible to pm me the cost of a bonsai? I always find them interesting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

like I said earlier, I need to tear down the setup and re-do again. Was not happy with water flooding the dry area and also the water pressure at the water feature, which is only a trickle of what I wanted..... so took a day leave and did it yesterday......

everything off and the tank was cleaned.....

went to Seaview and bought my self a nano tank, ..... put in some pebbles at the bottom for drainage....

these were removed from the set up and will go back in, somehow....

I also need to prep the artificial rock of the water feature....

put a pump and a short hose in, stick up mesh so that no soil will go into the compartment to choke the pump...

hose and pump hidden... the electrical cable will run behind...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

have to replant the land area .....

with the planting done, put in the "land" area and also the artificial rock to, which sits on a platform for height, platform made with egg crates....

top view.... you can see that the rock is slanted to give space behind for other plants...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

at seaview, I also bought more articial rock, which are hollow, these suppose to be caves for fishes to hide in a tank...... seal one end stand it up and I have a plant pot,... stuck on with silicon on the back of the tank....

preparation almost readt... shift tank to the display stand....

final placement....

start with te subsrate...

in the hollow space of the articial rock are two pumps, 1 for the water feature and the other pump connected to a distributor for drip water effect.... the mesh sheet was place ontop of the subsrate to prevent sand from being sucked into the pumps...

All done and time to fill water...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok....... this is the completed tank with plants in place..... picture taken this morning as need the water to clear...... I need another reddish colour plant right smack in the middle... will have to look shop for it this week....

Hope you guys / gals like this....... will update when fishes and more plants are added and also when it become a junle.... I feel its too neat at this time....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

and here is the video.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi kapitan, i like your setup, been at this myself but concept slightly different. Does the mini tank get filled with water after prolong watering?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    Hi kapitan, i like your setup, been at this myself but concept slightly different. Does the mini tank get filled with water after prolong watering?
    I only got this running yesterday, the mini tank is still dry.... I don't think it will fill up with water if only watering the plants by spray..... and it is quite high, what little spary water will evaporate...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kapitan View Post
    I only got this running yesterday, the mini tank is still dry.... I don't think it will fill up with water if only watering the plants by spray..... and it is quite high, what little spary water will evaporate...
    thats all the water the bonsai needs? where did you get them, i am sorry if this was answered in earlier post already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    thats all the water the bonsai needs? where did you get them, i am sorry if this was answered in earlier post already.
    I do not want to advertise for nursery... will pm you where I got the bonsai...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast