Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Lifespan of Ceramic Rings

Feedback Score

Lifespan of Ceramic Rings

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does ceramic rings have a lifespan if it is used as a biological media for the BB to grow.

Heard from people that they need replacing but i was thinking that since it only provide a place for BB to grow, it shouldnt have one.

Can any bros here enlighten me on this?

Feedback Score
    IMO those good quality ceramic rings (i am using and i recommend sera siporax) have a life span depending how lasting before it break down into smaller pieces. as long as it don't break down into too small pieces, it can always be used.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    doubt the ceramic rings will actually break down to tiny pieces.
    ceramic ring do help to diffuse the incoming water evenly prior the biological filter.

Feedback Score
    So can i say that ceramic rings have no lifespan as long as it does not break into small pieces?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ceramic rings has many tiny pores that gives you big surface area for bacteria to settle on. Over time, these pores get clogged and the effective surface area reduces. It is really up to your discretion when to change the media.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If i wash the rings and dry it, can i reuse it again. I know i have to cycle the tank again.

If i use BioHome, can i do the same as above meaning to recycle it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Recycling filter media

Some media such as ceramic rings, bioballs, and coral, can be recycled for a very long duration with periodic rinsing to "unblock" the pores. Many references suggest that the rinsing should be done using siphoned water from the same tank as this will minimise the destruction of the biological bacteria that have accumulated within the media.

Therefore, the short reply : you don't need to throw away the old media and put in new ones.

On the other hand, "disposable" media such as activated charcoal and cotton (or fibre) need to be more maintenance such as regular [possibly once a week to once a fortnight, depending on the bioload and your feeding patterns] washing (to clear off the accumulated mess) and changed about every six months. If the routine is not properly done, the decaying mess may release toxic chemicals back into the tank causing havoc to the ecosystem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if that is the case, lets go green.

buy extra bio rings or biohome, change 1/2 of it and keep the other 1/2 in order to keep the BB alive. by doing so, u can save $ and save the planet.