Country
    Singapore

Keeping different sized shrimps together

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

I recently purchased a bag of feeder shrimps ($1.50, big clear translucent shrimps) to keep in my community tank. Now someone has given me some RCS, I would like to know if they go well together, e.g. will the feeder shrimps go after the RCS?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Keeping different sized shrimps together

Ghost shrimp are mean creatures, Their long extended pincers can do devastating damage to the shrimp.
    I wouldn't introduce the shrimp even if your community tank is heavily planted.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

even same size shrimps from different or same species will attack one another if given the chance. big fish eat small fish, big shrimp eat small shrimp.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Naraki View Post
    Ghost shrimp are mean creatures, Their long extended pincers can do devastating damage to the shrimp.
    I wouldn't introduce the shrimp even if your community tank is heavily planted.
    What this guy said.
    Also, feeder shrimps are usually kept in very poor conditions and water. You may be importing diseases and pests at the same time you introduce them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have very bad experiences with feeder shrimps with pincers. They attack small fishes or sleeping fishes. My small fishes disappear one after another as my ghost shrimps fed on them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    I have very bad experiences with feeder shrimps with pincers. They attack small fishes or sleeping fishes. My small fishes disappear one after another as my ghost shrimps fed on them.
    I second this. Got some before. Me too noob uncle say they are yamato zzzzz.
    Very difficult to catch also. Lucky it died not long lol

Sent from my CT801 Eyas using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Yamatos with pincers?? Hehe
    lol. i thought oohh that must be the male hahaha

-----------------------------------------
    Visit and comment my L Tank and S Tank... <-- Click click !!
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yamatos are thugs... murdered my puffer fish and plants... created a mayhem in my planted tank

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feeder shrimps/ghost shrimps/riceland prawns (all mostly referring to the same species - the non-native Macrobrachium lanchesteri) are not recommended with smaller shrimps. Based on my experience, they can be kept with fish equal-sized fishes, or fish that are larger but not so large that they see these shrimps as easy prey; mine live in a community aquarium with female bettas, five-banded tiger barbs, and mollies without any problems.

Macrobrachium lanchesteri

However, there is another non-native species of glass shrimp that could pop up as a feeder shrimp - the Oriental river prawn Macrobrachium nipponense. Adults can get quite large (twice the size of the largest riceland prawn that ever lived in my aquarium), with long pincers, and they can definitely cause trouble in the aquarium. I never figured out if the torn fins of my fishes meant that the prawn was defending its territory, or if it was trying to catch the fishes as they swam past. And the riceland prawns were absolutely terrified; none of them dared to hang out close to where the Oriental river prawns chose to lurk. In any case, the Oriental river prawns were quickly removed from my aquarium when I realised that they weren't going to settle peacefully and not bother the other inhabitants.

Macrobrachium nipponense
    Small is beautiful.