52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cool DIY Mesh Inlet V2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Got the idea for the following video. It's a great video with very easy to follow instructions.

Previously there was a DIY Shrimp Guard by seudzar
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...Y-shrimp-guard

Thought that the above video was a really great guide to making your own customed sized Mesh Guard.

Following are some of the pictures that i took along the way while doing it yesterday. Basically is following the video step-by-step.

The "ingredients", thanks to my mum for allowing me to borrow her hair dryer.
    In this case, i'm looking to DIY a mesh guard with transparent sides to blend in with my stainless steel inlet. Items needed are those that are used in the video as well.

Items used:
    Mesh size: 60mm by 60mm, 13mm by 13mm
    Detachable cable ties (so that i can reuse and adjust the size for different pipes
    Heat Shrink: 18mm Outer Diameter, 2:1 ratio, transparent

Tightening the mesh to get the size for my inlet using the cable ties.

Completed the bottom. Did not managed to take many other pictures along the way as i was rushing to go to sleep to get enough rest for my IPPT this morning..

Completed the top portion by shrinking the outside, and folding the extra heat shrink into the inside of the mesh guard.

Mesh Guard working great, and looking blended in with my stainless steel inlet. Just as what i had imagined it to be.

I've got quite alot of mesh, and even more heat shrinks left over if anyone wants to try. However mine is of transparent type, and still too early to observe if it will turn yellowish in the long run.
    Last edited by qngwn; 28th Sep 2013 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Mesh Inlet V2

Plan to try this DIY after getting a couple of shrimps stuck in the inlet pipe (and died )

Could you share the place to purchase this fine mesh & heat shrink?