Country
    Singapore

Crypt Parva

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

Anybody here has experience with Crypt Parva?

I'm thinking of using it to carpet my 1 footer low tech tank. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Crypt Parva

Please also let me know where I can get some. I saw some at GC but it's quite a old batch and didn't seem healthy. Or you can PM me if you have some to let go.

Thanks bros.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

y618 has some. last, last week..
    seaview also have, but not healthy.

crypt parva can be used for carpet. but not a lush carpet in my opinion. and its...... SLOW growth... SLLLLLOOOOOOOW
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, unless you setup your tank with 50-60 of pots of Crypt Parva from the start, its going to take a very long time to carpet... its a rosette plant and grows side shoots around the main plant (they don't spread with runners), so you'll need to periodically split them and manually replant the new shoots to fill in gaps to create a dense carpet.

You can see the effect (and number of pots required to create a carpet) in this thread by benny:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...rva-lawn-again

If you are shopping for crypt parva, do check the pots (especially those that come in plastic containers) to confirm they are indeed crypt parva, the leaves should be small and compact in size. Sometimes sellers confuse it with crypt x willisii (they are hybrids of parva and look similar), so you end up having some plantlets that grow into much larger plants instead.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 7th Oct 2013 at 14:13.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bros Erc and UA, I've learnt an incredible lot from u!

Good to hear that it's a rosette plant. Now I have an idea to localize them in one area of the tank. No need to worry about runners going all over! I won't be able to do it this way if there are runners.

Hmm slow growing. Is it susceptible to alage then? I'm growing it in a tank that has been notorious for alage attacks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gid View Post
    Hmm slow growing. Is it susceptible to alage then? I'm growing it in a tank that has been notorious for alage attacks.
    From my experience so far, usually green spot algae (GSA) tends to appear on the parva leaves if there is too much light or the photo period is too long, so have to find the optimal balance.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It is prone to algae attacks because of its slow growth.
    like what bro UA mentioned, try to place the plants in a suitable location.
    good circulation, low to medium light and good base ferts
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bros, I just bought and planted some C Parva. I got them from a LFS and they came in clear plastic tubs with the plant name written with marker. Now that I look carefully, I suspect it is abit too tall to be Parva. I was expecting a much shorter plant. Could you please help confirm if these are C Parva?

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh yea it's hard to tell from the pics: the tallest leaves are about 8cm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have the the same plant and I thought it was Parva, but I've seen C. Parva at C328 and it's tiny compared to this.

I guess its C. lucens x willisii as Urban suggested. It grows faster than all the other crypts in my tank.

Behind the C. lucens x willisii in the pic above, I think theres a C. Lucens as well. The rest of the Crypts are all C. Wendtii variants....
    Last edited by erwinx; 24th Oct 2013 at 00:39.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh man, if this is really the larger non-Parva species, then I gotta move them backwards as mid ground plants. If they are indeed willisii, how tall do willisi get?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Btw bro erwinx, where did u see the Parva in c328? In the plastic tubs on top of the empty tank near the entrance? I've never seen any before...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi gid,

C328 brought in a few tubs in September but sold out within a week. They were among the plastic tubs on top of the empty tank. I think the price was $3 but the amount of Parva was not that much, probably 3 or 4 'plantlets' (don't know the exact term...). So if you want foreground carpet it is going to cost a lot of money.

I stay near C328 so I visit every week just to look see. If I see Parva again I'll take picture and post an alert in this thread.

Alternatively, anyone know if Teo's aquatic farm sell C.Parva? Teo's is probably cheaper if you want enough for foreground carpet. When I went to Teo's he gave we way too much Tennellus...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Saw this at C328 today and labelled C.Parva.
    Can others confrim that this is C.Parva and not mislabelled?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This was exactly what I bought... When u remove the wool, u will realise that there is another 1 to 2cm of stem there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

when your c-parva continues to grow and evolve in your tank, the leaves will take on a different shape