Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: C02 escape through overflow + sump system.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C02 escape through overflow + sump system.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i am new to forum

I need some help. i was advised that a overflow with sump system tankage is not suitable for plant tank, as the overflow and the sump system will release the CO2 that had injected in the water, Is this true.???

can bro & Sis advise.. thank..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: C02 escape through overflow + sump system.

Hi 'cctan',
    Water surface agitation, overflow boxes and trickle wet/dry filters are said to 'drive out' COČ but if you're willing to increase to bubble/sec count to compensate for such losses, IMHO, sump filtration works much better than canister (if you have high bioload).

While I cannot be certain, I suspect that there's also COČ losses for those who uses cooling fan/s and surface skimmers.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am running a 6 by 2.5 by 2.5 ft tank with underflow and overflow into a sump....my bubble count is HIGH !!! I go through a 5 liter bottle every 2 months which is high but I believe the sump filter is better...overseas many large planted tanks use sump filters so it can be done. There was some web article (Which now I can find) that some people tested the CO2 loss with wet/dry filters and with / without surface agitation...it was found that CO2 loss by the sump filter is not that high but surface agitation was the main culprit for high CO2 loss....
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank,

i will go and hunt for a 5" or 6 " cabinet with sump tank to start a plant tank... thank..