Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

New Low-tech Tank for My Tiger Barbs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Finally got around to setting up a bigger tank for my Tiger Barbs and I want to share here my ongoing project. I recently bought a used Atman AR-F980 glass tank (100cmx47cmx50cm). It's roughly around 62 gallons. It's quite a bargain despite not having all the filter parts.
    Here's a pic (pic was from the seller). AR-F980.jpg

Here's Day 1 pic. WP_000661.jpg

First problem is the filter setup. Since the tank did not come with it's default filter set, I have to do a DIY. There was no pump, individual filter boxes and piping. Like I said, I bought it really cheap. Luckily, it still came with the main overhead filter box. So I decided to do a trickle filter setup. First stage is the mechanical (coarse + fine), 2nd and 3rd stage are bio rings, and last stage Biohome sintered glass. For the pump, I used a generic 1200L/Hr pump. Original was a 1000L/Hr pump.

For my substrate, I used the GEX Water Plant Sand series. Btw, to save cost I used about 2kg of old GEX substrate from one of my recently decomissioned tank. Used it on my first layer then covered it with the new substrate (about 9kg). I also buried 8 tablets of Florenette A. For the river effect, I just used one of those cheap normal sand.

Don't ask me about the plants. I still haven't gotten around identifying them. I just bought those I've used before and had no problem with a low-tech setup. Also, planning to do a little carpeting with fissidens on some areas on the right side. Left side, I'm still not fix on whether to put a mini volcano or not. Planning to use that as a cover for a small sponge filter.

Fauna - like the title says, this will be the new home for my tiger barbs. Currently have 3 standard
    tiger barbs, 4 juvenile green tiger barbs and 2 black ruby barbs. Planning to increase final count to 7 standard, 7 green, and 5 black ruby. I will also be putting 6 kuhli loaches, 4 otos, 3 assasin snails and about 12 cardinal tetra.

Anyway, I'm welcome for any comments, suggestions or critique.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Re: New Low-tech Tank for My Tiger Barbs

Day 2 - Got bacteria bloom
    WP_000679.jpg

Added Tetra Easy Balance to jumpstart the cycling. Also added more bio rings, Biohome filter and a couple of small wool from my existing tiger barb tank. When I did water change on that tank, the old water was poured directly into the filter of the new tank. I was hoping this will also help the seeding process on the new filter. A couple aerators were also added.

I've also added christmas moss attached to a small piece of wood. 2 patches of mini fissidens were added as well.
    WP_000713.jpg

Hopefully the bacteria bloom will subside in the next few days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Day 3 - Bacteria bloom has subsided. I added Sera Aquatuner to remove Ammonia and nitrites.
    Day 4 - Added 3 Cardinal Tetra to transition from adding tablet CO2 to the natural CO2 from the fish and the snails that started to populate my tank.
    Also, this is part of the natural cycle.
    Day 5 - Added 5 more Cardinal Tetra and a few more plants. I see more snails. I think I will move in my assasin snails this weekend.

WP_000715.jpg

Here's a close up of my Tetras happily swimming.
    WP_000718.jpg

Quick question: How long does it take for the plants to take root on the substrate? I've put root tabs fertilizers since day 1 and put CO2 tablets for 3 days. Lights are on for 10 hours everyday. Is a week enough?

My tiger barbs will definitely uproot some when they bump into the plants if they're not yet rooted. They love to chase each other around and they always go thru the plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Can't contain myself and took the plunge last Sunday. I knew what would happen and still I transferred all my Tiger Barbs to their new tank by at least a week in advance.

Day8-1.jpg

As expected, some of the plants that are not yet deeply rooted started floating after getting run over or poked by my pesky Tiger Barbs.

WP_000775.jpg

I guess they have their own aquascaping in mind as they proceeded to dig deeper under the bogwood and scattered the dark gravel all over the sand.

I think I'll let them do their own scaping for a while before I make some corrections. I guess I'll just follow and adapt my design to what they want.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Simple and nice with the back drop