Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Project L: journal.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Oooh i love the scape on the right very much! How much bucep did you order? Haha

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha Capricorn farm boss and his helper.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feed Icon Re: Project L: journal.

Quote Originally Posted by sfk7 View Post
    Oooh i love the scape on the right very much! How much bucep did you order? Haha
    I personally prefer the right side more too. I find that the left side is too flat. Currently looking for larger appropriate rocks.

For the bucephalandra s I ordered 177 pieces in total.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Haha Capricorn farm boss and his helper.
    Haha yes. I call him ah neh.

His favourite quote "I don't know~~ You ask boss better. Ask bossssss" hahaha.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by yangqian View Post
    Do you foresee any difference?

Yes, the SS inlets and outlets looks really good with the holder. Made to complement. I must say it is my best buy.
    lucky its with optics, if not alot of light spill. but with optics is very very powerful, so you must take great care to maximize. else you join the algae farmer club

the ss holders, time to pm me the site and price. i think my whatsapp group will end up buying haha...
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Indeed, the zigzag design is for my outlet pipes and my pendent light fixtures. In order to allow a better flow, i reckon the outlets should be at the centre. Since the tank will be sitting tight and close to the walld, creating a 'zigzag' opening is the only solution.
    Interesting, i was initially expecting you to place the output pipes at the far ends of the tank and the input pipes at the base of the L-shape, so both flow would end at the same area to cover the dead spot that would tend to occur there (where your large rooty wood piece is positioned).

When i saw the zig-zag design on your tank, i thought it was meant to fit into a cornice feature against the wall corners of your room... turns out its for mounting the outflow pipes at those sides, that's a very innovative design and layout too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

actually, i am not sure if i understand.

This is what i meant.
    You mean that the dead spot will be at the corner?

Sorry, curious...
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post

the ss holders, time to pm me the site and price. i think my whatsapp group will end up buying haha...
    Haha, got watsapp group, can apply to join anot?
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post

This is what i meant.

Sorry, curious...
    Eric,

he got 2 filter & 2 skimmer (inside powerhead, it will add flow here and there), factor these in... he can play with quite a few ways
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Interesting, i was initially expecting you to place the output pipes at the far ends of the tank and the input pipes at the base of the L-shape, so both flow would end at the same area to cover the dead spot that would tend to occur there (where your large rooty wood piece is positioned).

When i saw the zig-zag design on your tank, i thought it was meant to fit into a cornice feature against the wall corners of your room... turns out its for mounting the outflow pipes at those sides, that's a very innovative design and layout too.
    For a 5feet length on each side, in order for the out flow to reach the centre area, considering the outlet is at the opposite ends, the flow must be relatively strong. However, if you have a 30cm depth tank, such a strong flow with just whip up any plants you have. My Eheim filter should not be that strong to reach the entire 5feet.That is why I have the outlet flows at the centre, and my skimmer will make up for the unreachable area at the opposite ends.
    Last edited by yangqian; 17th Oct 2013 at 23:24.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Eric,

he got 2 filter & 2 skimmer (inside powerhead, it will add flow here and there), factor these in... he can play with quite a few ways
    Yes eric (hope you don't mind me calling you by name), because of my considerations for excessive flows that may become undesirable for plants, and also dead spots, I place the inlets and outlets on separate ends, farthest possible.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is what i meant.

Sorry, curious...
    Thats an interesting setup too, works like a real river/stream... i guess the flow would probably be slower by the time it turns the corner and reaches the inflow side, but there should still be some flow throughout due to water displacement, the flow at the outflow side would need to be extra strong though.

I was imagining a more conventional setup of the outflow and inflow at each end, was thinking that the direct cross flow from 2 directions could perhaps create some circulation at the corner, something like this:

... just theory though, i have no idea if it would actually work in practice.

For a 5feet length on each side, in order for the out flow to reach the centre area, considering the outlet is at the opposite ends, the flow must be relatively strong. However, if you have a 30cm depth tank, such a strong flow with just whip up any plants you have. My Eheim filter should not be that strong to reach the entire 5feet.That is why I have the outlet flows at the centre, and my skimmer will make up for the unreachable area at the opposite ends.
    You're right, the amount of flow that would be required to push water 5ft all the way across would need to be really strong... so with the tank height considerations, your inflow/outflow plan would be more optimal.

Definitely bookmarking this journal, alot of new stuff to learn!
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 18th Oct 2013 at 00:27.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Thats an interesting setup too, works like a real river/stream... i guess the flow would probably be slower by the time it turns the corner and reaches the inflow side, but there should still be some flow throughout due to water displacement, the flow at the outflow side would need to be extra strong though.

I was imagining a more conventional setup of the outflow and inflow at each end, was thinking that the direct cross flow from 2 directions could perhaps create some circulation at the corner, something like this:

... just theory though, i have no idea if it would actually work in practice.

You're right, the amount of flow that would be required to push water 5ft all the way across would need to be really strong... so with the tank height considerations, your inflow/outflow plan would be more optimal.

Definitely bookmarking this journal, alot of new stuff to learn!

Yes, that was one of my initial plan too. Either both inlets and outlets in thd middle. However, I am planning to create a slope in the middle area and have tall plants in that area. I envision an area of cyperus helferi and bolbitis flowing in the direction of a current. Hence, I cannot have the inlets in the middle area or else the inlets will be buried partially in the substrate.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

I thought i will create a diagram to elaborate the flow.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow.
    Its very interesting.. to me at least. my end to end thing follows my impression of how mother nature does it.. end to end.. then the water evaporate upward or go down into earth as underwater streams - in this case into filters.

I like both UA's and Yang Qian's design for flow.
    How come you all have nicer pictures then me... HAHA

but between the 2, i prefer UA's. 2 reasons.
    1. I tend to want to mess around with my outflow more often then inlet. so with the outflow at the side, more accessible to my itchy hands.
    2. outflows are more directional then inflow. meaning a change in the outflow direction tends to have impact to water circulation. whereas inflow suck water in a omni directional manner. by placing the inflows at the corner, i would have a constant (albeit slower) flow of water around that corner.

my 2 cents.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Spent 3 backbreaking hours tying the Bucephalandras onto lava rocks. Bought small lava rocks used as filter media because they are much smaller and easier to use during scaping.

More.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    i must salute you on carrying the tank yourself (with your buddy).
    I salute your buddy for carrying the tank hahah!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can share where did you get the bucep from?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Spent 3 backbreaking hours tying the Bucephalandras onto lava rocks. Bought small lava rocks used as filter media because they are much smaller and easier to use during scaping.
    e.

That is a lot of Bucep. If got spare can sell some to recover damages.

Wow.
    Its very interesting.. to me at least. my end to end thing follows my impression of how mother nature does it.. end to end.. then the water evaporate upward or go down into earth as underwater streams - in this case into filters.

I like both UA's and Yang Qian's design for flow.
    my 2 cents.
    I second that. Imagine the tank is our earth, inlet is gravity and the outlet is wind. In bigger tank, gravity plays an important role to draw winds (or undercurrent) towards it. Having two inlet placed in the center create stronger gravity (than single inlet). It acts like "black hole" and draw current from both end of the tank towards the core.

Anyway, both concepts are very educational and food for thoughts.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Singapore

Work in progress.......

*Backache*

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast