Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bleach dip

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has some time yesterday so I experimented with a bleach dip on some of my 'disposable' plants before I attempt the real operation.

1 part of chlorox bleach, 19 parts of water. 9 minutes.

Egeria with all kinds of algae dropped into solution. 9 mins later, the stem came out clear of algae! everything gone! but unfortunately, so did the green colour of the plant. I have a totally bleached transparent egeria. No good

Next, a stem of equally infested Cabomba. 6 minutes later, the leaves turn yellowish, 9 minutes later, the plant melted away.

Armed with so much experience and confidence, I put the A.nana back where it belonged -- in the tank, and the bleach where it belongs -- in the toilet bowl

So much for bleaching. I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps I should have higher dilution and then gently rub the leaves till the algae drops off and quickly rinse off with anti-chlorine. Any thoughts anyone?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lawrence,

I have done bleeching for Nana before. Generally, Nana leaves are more hardy than many finer leaves, so are more resistent to bleech dips. I did a 3-4 min dip, and I read that that's more or less the max. 8-9 mins is too long. Still need to rub a bit to get rid of the most stubborn strands. After that soak and rinse in anti-chlorine liberally, then put into tank with good conditions. My "coffee" nana never looked back since! The finer the leaf, the less resistent to bleech dips.
    Smile, and the world smiles with you!

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:8d31ab982b="stocker"]Hi Lawrence,

I have done bleeching for Nana before. Generally, Nana leaves are more hardy than many finer leaves, so are more resistent to bleech dips. I did a 3-4 min dip, and I read that that's more or less the max. 8-9 mins is too long. Still need to rub a bit to get rid of the most stubborn strands. After that soak and rinse in anti-chlorine liberally, then put into tank with good conditions. My "coffee" nana never looked back since! The finer the leaf, the less resistent to bleech dips. [/quote:8d31ab982b]

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the reply. I'll go try it tonight.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Decided to try this myself on some stubborn brush algae on sword plantlets.
    Did the same as above: 1 part Chlorox in 19 parts water. Soatk for 4 minutes. Results as follows:

Notice the brush algae turn from black to light green? I presume it is dead. But I still find it very hard to rub off. So I left it there. Any problems with that?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I recall reading that algae eaters will eventually consume the dead algae.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you can try to leave it for some Yamatos, and SAE (or other such critters) to nibble on it. Should make a tasty snack for them! :P

Monitor for a week or 2, if it presists, can try round II.
    Smile, and the world smiles with you!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anubius sp. apart, leaves that are affected by algae will usually die off very soon. Personally, I feel that trimming off the affected leaves to be the better way. (KF, I know that you are just testing it out. )

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah lah. Trying out to see.
    Anyway, I think I got the nutrient balanced in that affected tank. The algae seem to have slowed its spreading.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Juggler,

Same here. The algae turned white or light green. can't rid of them even after rubbing the leaf. But leave it there and tomorrow you'll notice someond had been feeding off the dead algae.

You can tell the BBA is dead if you try picking it with a pair of forceps -- they just detach so easily.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee