Country
    Singapore

Should I put sand layer above soil substrate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bro,

I admire the beauty and nature look of sandy planted tank. So my question is that can I put soil substrate on the bottom of the tank, and then root the plant into it. After that put one more layer of sand above the soil substrate (about 1cm thick). Do the plants grow well and is there any issue with the water condition and cleaning/maintenance activity? I am afraid excess food and some soil move to the surface and make the sand surface look dirty. Sow hard is it to maintain the clean sand surface?

Thank you very much. Looking for your suggestion and experience.

Victor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Should I put sand layer above soil substrate

Why do you want to put sand on top of soil? I assume you are using aquarium designed soil like ADA aquasoil, gex, etc
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why do you want to put sand on top of soil? I assume you are using aquarium designed soil like ADA aquasoil, gex, etc
    Yes, I am using GEX soil. Btw, I love the white sand surface since it looks clean and natural, but I also want to grow my plants well, so I have an idea of putting sand on the soil. Soil will help the plant to grow their root and provide nutrient. Is it possible?

Thank you very much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

First of all, those white sand is difficult to maintain. You have to diligently do the siphoning, all those fish/shrimp poo will be very visible in white sand.
    Secondly, there is also problem with sand slip though the gap between soil.

It is possible if you don't mind the above problem. Otherwise you might want to do 2 separate area, one for planting and the other just white sand.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plants will need the nutrients in soil, in order to grow well. Of course, CO2, fertilizers, lighting and other factors contribute to the well being of the plant in your aquarium.

I must admit that the sand will give your tank a beautiful white sandy look covering the otherwise ugly looking soil. But consider these:

• if you are someone that will re-plant your scape every now and then?
    • if you are the itchy hand kind where your hand will reach into your tank whenever you see something amiss?
    • re-scaping had become a part of your life and you will always want to move things in your tank around?
    • if you have not finalise your scaping plan and you plan to move along when you kick start your aquarium project?

if you see the above factors in you, you would want to re-consider laying that layer of sand above your substrate. It is going to be a back-breaking effort to remove that layer of sand from above the substrate should you decied to re-arrange, re-plant, re-scape or anything beginning with "re" and if you decide to put them back in.

In all, it really still comes down to yourself, if you really enjoying doing all these as a hobby and would not mind the hassle. The above could only be some of the scenarios that you foresee coming.

Cheers
    eRic

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

you can if you really want to.

take note of the following.
    1. Do not grow plants that have extensive root systems and remove/replant them later, it will cause alot of soil being pulled up to the surface. plants with not so extensive roots maaaaaaaaybe can get away with 1 or 2 uprooting.
    2. for every CM of sand above the soil, you need to get another 2cm of sand so that you can fill the gaps in between and to cater for erosion into the soil when you insert the plants.
    3. GEX soil breaks down over time. which means probably after 6 months, the sand and soil will be inseparable.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

And if you grow carpeting plants your white sand will be covered
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

carpet plant no problem, can easily cut the runner.
    -Robert