Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: help identify this plant please?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

help identify this plant please?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum having just started my low tech shrimp tank recently.

I happen to buy this plant and am wondering if it is aquatic or non-aquatic. Could not ID it myself based on searching google and trawling the web. Could anyone help me ID this plant and whether it is aquatic? Roots are coming out of the leaves, and it doesnt look like it is doing well at this time. Any advise? Thanks so much.

1118j7d.jpg

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: help identify this plant please?

haha, its the infamous java fern, hardy and aquatic

roots growing out of tip of leaves are normal( baby java ferns/ aka daughter plants) . The leaf will wither gradually as the baby plants grows... you can plug off the baby plants and retie it on the driftwood...

Hope it helps

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks so much wongce. you helped to allay my concerns as many shops selling non-aquatic plants and will cause unnecessary trouble in the tank, as I understand it. Now that you said so, it does look like a java fern. Lucky me I guess, it was one of the plants that I wanted to buy.

Many of the leaves have roots growing out of it. Now I am thinking whether to pluck it out and position it elsewhere to help them grow.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

its easy to grow plants, plucking the plantlets will help to prolong the life of the original leaf..

you can tie it back to the original dw...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. I did that. I plucked them out and tried to just use the gravel to hold the new leaves down. gotta see what happens in the next few weeks. left some just floating around too.

Also have java moss in this tank which doesn't seem to be growing yet

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Note: java fern cannot be planted into soil/gravel...they will not survive.

Plants need time to grow... as long the parameters are ok, they will grow...

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

May i know your light on hours? it might be the case.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can I leave the java fern floating around till they become slightly bigger before I find a spot for them?

lights on for about 15 hours each day. is this alright?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

15 hours may be too long, will cause algae problems.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Uranium,
    For Java ferns, you will want to trim off the plantlets off the tips of the fern. find some place to tie them down.
    Do not plant them, the plant requires their root system to be exposed (not buried) to survive.

15 hours of the right intensity of lights is too long.

If you have the right intensity and type of light, you should start off with 8 hours.

Hope it helps.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks erctheanda. I trim it off but left them floating because they are still quite small. hope that is fine. I let the lights be on for this long because I want to accelerate the growth a little and also perhaps help the plants settle into their new tank. would that help?

also its a shrimp tank with quite a few shrimps so im not sure if algae would be a problem. In fact was hoping it helped to promote algae growth for the shrimps. what do you think?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by uranium View Post
    Thanks erctheanda. I trim it off but left them floating because they are still quite small. hope that is fine. I let the lights be on for this long because I want to accelerate the growth a little and also perhaps help the plants settle into their new tank. would that help?

also its a shrimp tank with quite a few shrimps so im not sure if algae would be a problem. In fact was hoping it helped to promote algae growth for the shrimps. what do you think?

Hi Uranium,
    Leaving the lights on for a longer period does not accelerate growth. Unfortunately it does not work that way. you can google articles on rate of photosynthesis and growth and their relationships with photo period and intensity. the long short of it is, it differs from plant to plant, but the rule of thumb is 6-10 hours of appropriate light and nutrients.

To "accelerate" growth, you need to furnish the plants an environment that they are most suited in. the adaptability of plants is limited compared to humans and animals. Java ferns are moderate growers in my experience. they grow faster than moss, but slower than glosso, just to give you a gauge. Like most plants, they want mild, flowing water with good supply of CO2 , major nutrients NPK when the photoperiod starts. they also want enough light to start their day.

Can read Wongce's blog or the sticky link in the "beginner's corner" to start.

Shrimps are good algae eaters. the issue is, they don't eat all types of algae. My good friends, Green Spot Algae and Black Beard algae are simply too tough for most shrimps. So before you decide to become algae farmer like me, think again whether the algae is suitable for their consumption.

If the wall of text above is too much. Take this piece of advice as a starter..

Aquariums are all about balance. no 2 tanks are the same. all the tips and methods out in the internet and books are here to help you tip the balance in one way or another. Be sure to understand in what impact they have before applying them.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question directed at eric, but i will just give my 2cents worth. Lights on for too long, with low amount of plants will invite more algae than the shrimps can handle. Without proper CO2 injection, even long hours of lights will not help its growth. Plant growth depends on lights, co2 and nutrients, which is interconnected.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Hi Uranium,
    Leaving the lights on for a longer period does not accelerate growth. Unfortunately it does not work that way. you can google articles on rate of photosynthesis and growth and their relationships with photo period and intensity. the long short of it is, it differs from plant to plant, but the rule of thumb is 6-10 hours of appropriate light and nutrients.

To "accelerate" growth, you need to furnish the plants an environment that they are most suited in. the adaptability of plants is limited compared to humans and animals. Java ferns are moderate growers in my experience. they grow faster than moss, but slower than glosso, just to give you a gauge. Like most plants, they want mild, flowing water with good supply of CO2 , major nutrients NPK when the photoperiod starts. they also want enough light to start their day.

Can read Wongce's blog or the sticky link in the "beginner's corner" to start.

Shrimps are good algae eaters. the issue is, they don't eat all types of algae. My good friends, Green Spot Algae and Black Beard algae are simply too tough for most shrimps. So before you decide to become algae farmer like me, think again whether the algae is suitable for their consumption.

If the wall of text above is too much. Take this piece of advice as a starter..

Aquariums are all about balance. no 2 tanks are the same. all the tips and methods out in the internet and books are here to help you tip the balance in one way or another. Be sure to understand in what impact they have before applying them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    Question directed at eric, but i will just give my 2cents worth. Lights on for too long, with low amount of plants will invite more algae than the shrimps can handle. Without proper CO2 injection, even long hours of lights will not help its growth. Plant growth depends on lights, co2 and nutrients, which is interconnected.

Both of them are right, too much light is waste of energy and time, 6-8 hours of 1-2wpg is sufficient for low tech plants.

as per mentioned by eric, check out my blog...wahahaha... don't worry, my blog do not bite...

Link to my Blog