1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Water Change for Betta

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have recently gotten a HM royal blue betta and have it in a small tank.

I was researching and found numerous water change recommendation.

Some recommend >50% water change on almost a daily basis
    Some recommend 20% water change every 4 days or so.

One thing that is common is that the water should be treated with Katapang life or black water. Salt should also be added.

How often do you guy and gals change the water?

I have some additional water from the shop, taken on Saturday. Can I still use it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: Water Change for Betta

You say that you will be treating the water with a product. I'm hoping the only product you use on your water is a water conditioner. It is easier than you think it is. I would get a small sponge filter and do only %30 water changes. The only fish that could do fine with %50 water changes is the hardy goldfish. http://bettafishcaretaker.com/filter-setup-clean-water/

If you can stick to those thirty percent water changes and clean your gravel every couple of days.. you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, the only product is a dechlorinater.

Wonder what is the smallest sponge filter available. The betta tank is a small 1/2 gallon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I change all water once every 3 weeks. My betta lives happily in a 1 foot tall 9cm diameter cylindrical tank. Betta is the easiest to take care!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Given your small tank space, you must do a big water change every week, or waste buildup will make life miserable for your Betta. I would recommend you to do a 75% water change every week, and also watch out for evaporation because it happens frequently in our tropical climate. You can age the tap water in a separate container or bottle, just aerate it and add some water conditioner if necessary to deal with any chloramine in our tap water. If you are going to add Ketapang leaves and such, the salt is not required. Just do not overfeed the Betta because uneaten food will foul your container. Bettas are tough, but they are not invincible and bad water quality will lead to their death.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I choose smaller water changes more frequently to be safer. How can a %75 water change be safe? Maybe for a goldfish or Koi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

When a fish is kept in a very small tank, waste buildup is very fast, specifically to nitrates etc. Without plants or algae to act as nitrate absorbers, big water changes are required. 75% water change is typical for most Betta setups, specifically for Betta splendens, as they produce a lot of waste depending on their diet. I do a 75% change with aged water and some tapwater from an established tank for my Bettas kept in small plastic containers every week and they are healthy even without the addition of ketapang or any other product.

It is entirely up to you to follow or disagree with the 75% water change but the colors and the vigor of my tank-bred self-raised Bettas speaks for itself. Also, goldfish and Koi are less tolerant of changes in water chemistry, compared to Bettas.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

HAHA. I'm an easy person to reason with so I'm going to agree to disagree. I do agree of their labyrinth breathing style does allow them more adaptable water conditions but a %75 water change is always pushing it.

What else can a person do though with a tiny tank like that.. It's almost a 'lose lose' situation in my opinion with a tank that small

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, but space is a constraint where we come from, and a single pair of betta can produce a huge brood. Once the males start to sex out there's a definite need to jar some of them individually or risk damage to their fins which may never heal properly. The ones I have in individual containers are doing okay. I only feed them once every day or every 2 days, to reduce their waste output, otherwise the water will stink. Besides, they're prone to gorging excessively if overfed and I don't want them getting bloat.