Country
    Singapore

APP melting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I started planting this plant about a month back and have been spreading well in the 2ft tank with 72W lighting. The problem is that patches of the APP started to melt even though they never got overlap. I've been dosing 8ppm NO3 and 0.8ppm PO4 three times a week with 70% water change. All other plants in that tank grew well. I had to take the melted one out and replant with the overgrown ones. I never really measure the CO2 level but my yamatoes never survive.

Should I increase the NPK level or i there any other way to improve this situation.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    taz,

You should consider measuring your CO2 level. Just to be sure. Dying yamatoes may not mean your CO2 has poisoned them. There could be other reasons if the other livestocks appear normal and are not gasping for air. This I will do before adding NPK.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:747f8fbebd="geoffrey"]taz,

You should consider measuring your CO2 level. Just to be sure. Dying yamatoes may not mean your CO2 has poisoned them. There could be other reasons if the other livestocks appear normal and are not gasping for air. This I will do before adding NPK.[/quote:747f8fbebd]

I will do that. Thanks. But could the ADA soil I've been using contribute to the melting of the APP? The soil is about 3 months old in the tank. BTW, the yamatoes died because I had recently begin to increase the bubble count further to about 3 bps from about 1 bps. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    By chance, where the APP melted, is there another plant growing? I've had this happen once but I can't remember which plant it was.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:41ee4cac1b="vinz"]By chance, where the APP melted, is there another plant growing? I've had this happen once but I can't remember which plant it was.[/quote:41ee4cac1b]

You mean other plants growing out from that APP spot? No. But I have these plants in the same tank that is doing well.

1. Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC) - small plot
    2. Hemianthus micranthemoides (MM)
    3. Micrathemum umbrosum (MU)
    4. Eusteralis stellata
    5. Ludwigia inclinata
    6. Ludwigia inclinata var "Cuba"

Are any of these plants heavy nutrient suckers? I don't have any base fertiliser except the power sand. BTW, the temperature never exceed 29 deg.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    APP is a NO3 hog, you might want to dose some KNO3 for a start to see how it goes. It should bounce back quickly if you have not stunt it too badly. The other issue with ADA aquasoil is that it tends to lower the GH which you might well look into as singapore's tap water isn't that hard at all to buffer the peat effect. Last but not least, find ways to determine how much the peat treated water (from aquasoil) has affected the pH reading and try to error on the difference to determine the correct CO2 level.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9b449a80c0="PeterGwee"]APP is a NO3 hog, you might want to dose some KNO3 for a start to see how it goes. It should bounce back quickly if you have not stunt it too badly. The other issue with ADA aquasoil is that it tends to lower the GH which you might well look into as singapore's tap water isn't that hard at all to buffer the peat effect. Last but not least, find ways to determine how much the peat treated water (from aquasoil) has affected the pH reading and try to error on the difference to determine the correct CO2 level.

Regards
    Peter Gwee [/quote:9b449a80c0]

Thanks for that pointers. I will look into GH as well. I use to dose them but have stopped ever since I came across here saying the GH in our water is sufficient. Didn't know ADA soil will lower the GH. Should I increase the N and P dosage to 10ppm 3X per week?