Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tying riccia to mesh

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i used fishing line to tie my riccia to the mesh? i'm afraid i may have tied too tightly to the mesh and afraid the riccia may be damaged. is fishing line a good choice or thread?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i used plastic type of mesh. i''ve seen those steel mesh and the riccia that grows are more beautiful. i wonder how do they do it? is the riccia sandwiched in between the wire mesh, so as the riccia grows, it goes thru the holes and sprout into a beautiful bush? when i use the fishing line to tie to the plastic mesh, some of the riccia seems to come out easily and it's like a mess and really piss me off

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ray, you go to supermarket and buy garlics, find those that comes in a nylon netting "bag". You can get the steel mesh from Nature, then you spread the riccia over the mesh, and wrap the garlic netting (stretch it) over the mesh and wrap it underneath. can use the steel mesh ends to poke through the netting to keep it taut.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    does nature sell riccia? how much do they sell and how much is the mesh? will be going there tomorrow to modify my lighting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    does nature accept credit card as well?

Feedback Score
    Hi Ray

Actually if u starting a new tank (i.e. no water in the tank), there's not necessity to tie the riccia down. Just lay the riccia on the ground & place the wire mesh on top of it. Otherwise, go wif Choy's suggestion. Some fellas here use tiles as well.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

If you use thread as in cotten it will soon melt away and riccia swimmig on top heh heh heh[] The fishing line or best what hwchoy said use those nylon bag(garlic bags). What Nature's selling (mesh wire rectangle) was what I saw in 1997 when was in a ADA shop in Tokyo. Very nice and easy.
    Next you will be asking how to always keep them down?
    Well....Amano uses small pebbles or little slate pcs to put on top of those over grown and trying to loose it self. This will keep them down plus giving you a natural look of uneven surfaces as you seen in ADA pictures. But I think in no time your tank will be full of little stones heh heh heh[]
    So...just removed them bit by bit after enough stones has went in.
    Hope this help
    Other ways pls enlighten , wanna know too

riccia tie down, got many ways.

Tile:
    Small white square tiles, spread the riccia over. Then use fishing line to hold it down. My guess is that you never wrap it around enough times.
    Basically if you use fishing line, you wrap it such that it becomes like a net, get it? Good for flat regular surfaces.

Driftwood and rocks:
    Wrap it with net, use fishing line thread through to like seal the net over the driftwood like a bag. Soft nets are the best.

Wire mesh:
    Those sandwiched ones. Easiest to do.

Try combining the wire mesh and net, will give you a nice look. Do not buy those riccia boxes, they do not work, the holes are too big.

Finally, to keep them down long, sprinkle gravel when they are 4-5 cm thick, get a wire mesh and drop on it, saves one round of retying, or simply the ADA method, glosso, hairgrass and java moss perhaps which helps keep it down longer.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury