Country
    Singapore

HOF for a 45cm planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys.

I'm planning to start my first planted tank soon. Will be getting a 45x24x30 tank and I'm hoping to grow a java moss carpet and some ferns on driftwood. When reading up on appropriate filtration, I came across some sources which recommend 4 times flow rate while others advocate 10 times for planted tanks.

I'm thinking of getting a GEX Slim M filter for my tank. Will this be sufficient? I will only be filling the tank up to about 25 cm. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HOF for a 45cm planted tank

Hi there. It sounds good to me, though I know most people will recommend getting stronger filtration to ensure good water circulation around the tank.
    I have calculated your maximum water based on your tank dimensions and water level to be 27L alone excluding substrate.
    So from GEX Slim M of 200L/H actually gives you approx 7 times flow rate. Hope I not wrong

By the way, GEX Slim has limited space for bio media if you are planning to add ceramic rings etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info vipered. Yeah I might consider taking the non-slim one to put in more bio media. Or I could just put them in a netbag and stick them under the substrate!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    Water circulation and filtration are 2 separate issues.

for water circulation, it depends on your scape and your fauna. some scape induces a lot of dead spots, in which higher flow rate filters or strategically placed pumps will help eliminate the dead spots. With regards to fauna, some fauna don't like fast flowing waters, some love it.

For filtration, you should be concerned about 2 aspects.
    1. Flow rate, this determines how fast water is cleaned.
    2. amount of media. some filters have high flowrate but not so much media space, compared to the other filters with the same flow rate.

For both factors above, the decision will stem from the amount of waste producing living beings in your tank. I personally have a sealed tank with no higher order living beings in them, in short, no shrimp, fish or snails. just plants. In that tank, i have just 1 pump on top of 4 stacked ceramic rings. I personally believe its enough.

On the other hand, i have a tank with 1 terrapin. that tank has a canister filter, under gravel filter and a dysfunctional OHF and i still think its not enough. my mom's terrapin has alot of ****.

its good if you can find a filter that can both solve your flowrate and filtration needs. but that means careful planning and experience with the filters.

I hope i have been clear. Hope this helps too!
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info Eric. It is really clear and helpful!

I don't plan to have too things in my tank so I'm thinking that one HOF should be enough. I will do some reading up on the different filters available before I make a purchase. Thanks again!