Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

White cloudy water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I am having some white cloudy water problem. The water in my fish tank started to turn cloudy after a day of water change.... There is no algae - not even hair algae and the pH is about6.9. Does anyone knows why and what should I do? I have tried changing close 80% water change but should in vain.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: White cloudy water

bacteria bloom. chances are, that water change killed most of your old bacteria and now they're back. it should be gone know awhile

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did you water your filter and medias under tap water? Chlorine and chloramine from your tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Look closely at the water, are there free suspending particles?
    If none, then its bacteria bloom like what berny mentioned.

leave it. the water will clear after a few days with the filter running. the moment it clears, you might want to consider a water change, about 30%. after bacteria bloom, sometimes the ammonia levels will go up.. not consistent in my tanks. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. so take the advice on water change with a pinch of salt.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I dont wash my filter and the media. I only change the water in the tank. normally about 20%. This is the first time i encounter this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    Did you water your filter and medias under tap water? Chlorine and chloramine from your tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    The water turn cloudy normally a day after the water change...

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Look closely at the water, are there free suspending particles?
    If none, then its bacteria bloom like what berny mentioned.

leave it. the water will clear after a few days with the filter running. the moment it clears, you might want to consider a water change, about 30%. after bacteria bloom, sometimes the ammonia levels will go up.. not consistent in my tanks. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. so take the advice on water change with a pinch of salt.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

how long has the tank been in operation?

How was the water changed? added any anti chlorine before adding the water into the tank?

Not sure if you know, but was there any maintenance work done on your water supply?

I suspect higher concentrations of chlorine in your water supply and filter media is suffering from a mini reset every time water is changed.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply.
    This scape has been running for about 6months now. I add seachem's prime everytime i change water weekly about 30%.
    I have 2 filter cylinder. 1 for mechanical filter and the other for bio. I used 2 set of bio filters. 1L per set. They are biohome and seachem matrix.
    Yesterday, I open the bio filter and it was very dirty and both set of bio filters physically look very dirty. I was surprised as it was only for 6months. I decided not to wash it and change the whole set of bio filters... I hope i made the right choice.
    However, this morning the water in my tank still look a bit cloudy...
    will update soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    how long has the tank been in operation?

How was the water changed? added any anti chlorine before adding the water into the tank?

Not sure if you know, but was there any maintenance work done on your water supply?

I suspect higher concentrations of chlorine in your water supply and filter media is suffering from a mini reset every time water is changed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Personally, i will slowly add water into the tank to avoid stirring up the soil, which will turn the water cloudy. I have mastered adding water without turning it cloudy, so it can be done. If you stir up the soil the fine soil particle will be suck in and clogged your biofilters.
    Using brand new biofilter means you have to "cycle" the tank again. The ammonia and nitrite spike might kill your fauna. I strongly suggest you just wash your old and matured medias in tank water. Your cloud water may very well be just caused by clog bio media filters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Attachment 37783

Hi, thanks for your reply. The above is my tank setup. The HC covered about 80% of my thank after the 3-4th month so there is no string of the soil after that plus whenever i change water i use a floating platform with a plastic bag in it so that the water will go into the bag and overflow.

I thought washing the media is as good as killing the bacteria so I might as well change the media....

Personally, i will slowly add water into the tank to avoid stirring up the soil, which will turn the water cloudy. I have mastered adding water without turning it cloudy, so it can be done. If you stir up the soil the fine soil particle will be suck in and clogged your biofilters.
    Using brand new biofilter means you have to "cycle" the tank again. The ammonia and nitrite spike might kill your fauna. I strongly suggest you just wash your old and matured medias in tank water. Your cloud water may very well be just caused by clog bio media filters.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agree with bennyc... replacing all the bio-media with new ones means the beneficial bacterial will need to re-grow again in the new bio-media, so the tank might go into a mini-cycle. Its always best to just rinse the seasoned bio-media in tank water, the beneficial bacteria will still be living inside the bio-media.

Cloudy water happening after every water change is rather unusual (it usually only happens once, and that's from bacteria bloom during the initial cycling period), it sounds like your filter may not be performing optimally, what model is it?

Do you have any fine filter wool as the final layer in your filter? Usually that helps to trap the smallest remaining floating particles and "polishes" the water.

You can also try using a 100ml pack of Seachem Purigen, very effective in absorbing excess organics and keeps water looking very clear.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No means to drop you off, but i'm wondering why you change the media when you saw it dirty.

You could wash it instead, if you curious with other brand ( like i did in the past), you could do it partially during the transition period , i did 50% adding new and removing the old, and do repeatedly the rest on your subsequence filter clean up. I saw slightly turbulence, probably 30% each better.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Thank you for your reply.

One of the reason why I chose to replace the bio-meida(all of it) was because I didnt know exactly what is wrong with the tank. As you mentioned cloudy water every time water change is unusual and that is the reason why i decided to change all of the media not even considering retaining part of it.

I have 2 eheim canisters. One is filled with bio-media and the other is filled with wool and bio-pellet. I only change the wool weekly and never touch the canister with bio-media.

I have replaced the bio-media yesterday and the result is very good. no more cloudy water and i am changing 20% of the water daily and top up with waterlife bacterlife for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Agree with bennyc... replacing all the bio-media with new ones means the beneficial bacterial will need to re-grow again in the new bio-media, so the tank might go into a mini-cycle. Its always best to just rinse the seasoned bio-media in tank water, the beneficial bacteria will still be living inside the bio-media.

Cloudy water happening after every water change is rather unusual (it usually only happens once, and that's from bacteria bloom during the initial cycling period), it sounds like your filter may not be performing optimally, what model is it?

Do you have any fine filter wool as the final layer in your filter? Usually that helps to trap the smallest remaining floating particles and "polishes" the water.

You can also try using a 100ml pack of Seachem Purigen, very effective in absorbing excess organics and keeps water looking very clear.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I didnt know what is wrong so i didnt want to waste time so i just changed the media altogether...

Quote Originally Posted by milk_vanilla View Post
    No means to drop you off, but i'm wondering why you change the media when you saw it dirty.

You could wash it instead, if you curious with other brand ( like i did in the past), you could do it partially during the transition period , i did 50% adding new and removing the old, and do repeatedly the rest on your subsequence filter clean up. I saw slightly turbulence, probably 30% each better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi goose, running a bio media canister solely will eventually clog your media, making them run in less than optimum condition. I suggest you add at least a filter wool to do first layer of filter.
    In the long run, the media will be clog and the bb will die off, making the cloudy water come back.

By the way, what happen to the old biohomme, they are good media, did you throw it away?

Please do'not, you can always "throw" them to me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, thanks for the reply. Haha, too late. I threw the old media away already because I didn't know what happened so I dont dare to recycle it. This is the first time I had this problem.

What do you mean that my bio media will clog my media? Pls tell me more. This is my setup. I have an external pump and 2 canisters. They are all ehiem. The water intake will pump through the external pump then go into the canister with wool and bio pellets then go into the canister with bio media (seachem matrix and biohome) then finally go into the chiller then back into the tank.

Hi goose, running a bio media canister solely will eventually clog your media, making them run in less than optimum condition. I suggest you add at least a filter wool to do first layer of filter.
    In the long run, the media will be clog and the bb will die off, making the cloudy water come back.

By the way, what happen to the old biohomme, they are good media, did you throw it away?

Please do'not, you can always "throw" them to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see, thats the problem of words. I thought initial they are running separately. Since they are running in series then it is not an issue. However, it will be good to wash your bio media once in a blue moon over tankwater to clear the "dirt" to have the bio media run in optimum conditions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I used ocean free

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gotwind View Post
    I used ocean free but

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gotwind View Post
    I used ocean free

Sorry accidentally pressed enter. I was saying I used ocean free anti chlorine in my aging pail but recently it seems to cause cloudy water as well in the pail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast