Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: moss id?

moss id?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

This is my first post, and I have a question about a moss I have. I have been looking at pictures and it appears to me that Taiwan Moss and Christmas Moss are not the same. What moss do I have? I know it is definitely not java moss because it grows very close to the the wood it is attached to instead of in all directions like java moss. It was identified as "Asian Christmas Moss/Taiwan Moss (Vesicularia fasciculata)" from Taiwan when I bought it.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks to me like java moss since there is no leaves coming out from the stalks of leaves. xmas moss usually have a triangular pattern.
    Founder of theWaterBox

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is quite difficult to ID moss from photo but what you have there looks like Java Moss or Singapore Moss.

BTW, where did you get this moss from.

I bought it from a company in the U.S. called arizona aquatic gardens. I will try and take a picture of just the frond for a better ID.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It looks similar to the java moss inside my tank that did not do too well. One thing for sure is that is definitely not xmas or Taiwan moss.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0e66ff57ac="kadios"]It looks similar to the java moss inside my tank that did not do too well. One thing for sure is that is definitely not xmas or Taiwan moss.

Cheers![/quote:0e66ff57ac]

Well, seems to me it looks like Singapore moss that do not grow well. However, Java moss will also look like the one in the picture if grown in a good water environment. Java moss will grow in a messy-manner & has dark-green colour if grown in poor condition. Under good condition, the colour is lighter green & it grows more to a uniform manner, just like the one in the picture. That's just through my experience in growing java moss. Let's hear more feedbacks from others.

here is a better picture of my moss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    java moss can be grown very nicely too under the right "circumstances".
    have u seen those at SY?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Attached is a picture of my singapore moss and java moss. The java moss is the one with the bigger fronds. I believe that's what you have.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/f7b3226c.jpg

Click here for pictures of my taiwan moss.