Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant bubbling

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I went to Pet Safari and I saw their plant bubble like nobody's business......Can anyone tell me why their bubbling effect is much better than ours............?

Anyone encounter the same type of bubbling effects........pls share.......

Thanks!!!
    Regards
    William

Got same question. I'm new in plant and wondering how you count bubble per second. I can only count 20 bubbles in 10 second. Lost it after 20....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    william, it depends on the type of light, condition of yr tank, the plants, C02..... some chemistry here.. which I duno how to explain..

ira-one, using a bubble counter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ira,
    Since you've counted 20 bub per 10s mean the bubble count would 2 bubbles per second.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Ira-one & William r talking abt 2 diff bubbles here....

William's talking abt the O2 bubbles released by the plants during photosynthesis.

Ira-one, on the other hand, wants to know abt the bubbles per second of CO2 release.

William...for ur question, it's a combination of several factors i guess, which includes, sufficient lighting & CO2 supply. Depending on the individual plant's needs, the bubbling may occur at diff levels of lighting & CO2 (& watever else dat is required....)

Ira-one...the bps (bubbles per sec) we always mention refer to the CO2 supply, & u'd need to use a bubble counter to do dat. When u have dat, it's quite simple to count how many bubbles, because only 1 bubble comes out fr one outlet at any one time...u'd just need a 'watch' to count lah per sec.

BTW, i'm still learning too...but this forum has helped a lot....i'm just returning the favour now...

Hope dat helps....fellas...feel free to chip in...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

I have observed that some of the tank @ pet safari only has 2 FL tube for a 3 ft tank thus lighting is consider minimal...As for CO2 injection, they inject @ rate of about 3bps using a dennerele diffuser...Talking about fertiliser, they should be using dennerele fert

Funny......they are really successfully in planted tanks! Their bubbling effect is the best I have ever seen.....
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Hi William

U staying in Tampines/Simei? I freq sam yick at pet safari too...both for inspiration & accessories (got discount card mah....so not very expensive). Maybe next time can meet up there...

Anyway, i thot most of their tanks r using PL lights....then again, i may be wrong. Another thing is their temp...which is quite low at around 25d.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

I am staying in Hougang...If I am free, I will make a trip down to look @ the planted tanks to admire the work......If there is a chance, can meet up with you,
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Theory:

a) warmer water means better dissolution of O2 bubbles. thus our bubbles don't form as much??

b) water additives to affect erm surface tension (ie: so that bubbles form more readily? hehe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/16/2002 2:36:02 PM

Theory:

a) warmer water means better dissolution of O2 bubbles. thus our bubbles don't form as much??

b) water additives to affect erm surface tension (ie: so that bubbles form more readily? hehe
    ----------------
    actually cold water can contain more oxygen than warm water
    this is why many fish go to the surface for air when it gets really hot

as for water additives
    don't think so ah, har, chris? []

a more likely theory is that they plant very densely
    with a low fish load, the oxygen isn't consumed and thus reaches hypersaturation easily

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well let me just relate my experience:

after I re-set up my tank, this time I had enough CO2 (2.5 bps) and lights (72W) for 25gallons. When I started adding plants (glosso, lotus, apono, echinodorus, grass) they all started bubbling away within hours. I haven't add fishes yet.

So in view of what Yimin has said, basically there should be enough lights and CO2 to allow plants to generate enough oxygen to hypersaturate.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

I use the spiral glass for CO2 and....20 bubles are all I can count before my old eyes got confused. What is a buble counter?

I also use 3 x 30W for my 4ft tank. Dimension is 4x2x2. Think this is enough? if not, will have problem as there is no more space in the cover...[]

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/16/2002 11:34:47 PM

I use the spiral glass for CO2 and....20 bubles are all I can count before my old eyes got confused. What is a buble counter?

I also use 3 x 30W for my 4ft tank. Dimension is 4x2x2. Think this is enough? if not, will have problem as there is no more space in the cover...[]

Cheers,
    ----------------
    IRA, siong liao lah. 90W for 120 gallon how to be enough. Maybe if you get 2x150W MH just nice to achieve 2.5W per gal.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Heard MH can cost a bomb. Anybody can advise where I can upgrade the lighting on the hood? Currently it houses 3x30W. Read in other topic that Nature can modify lighting on hood with PL lights. Can they do 8x36W? Got their phone no.?

Cheers,

p.s. How much do you think it'll cost me? Other options?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my riccia is bubbling like nobody's business also. just wondering. the moment i on my lights, waited about 15 mins, i can see tiny bubbles floating up on the surface, after an hour, can see bubbles covering almost every space of the riccia, and then on my water surface are all bubbles, bubbles and bubbles. but i do have other worries too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    cheap household MH can be as low as 150 and below, just fyi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    by the time you upgrade to 8x36W may not cost much less than the MH. Another way out for you... downgrade the tank size

Any idea where I can get this type in the East? if none, anywhere in Singapore is also fine. Thanks a million.

Cheers,