Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Gh 12 too high for shrimps and endlers?

Feedback Score

Gh 12 too high for shrimps and endlers?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just tested my tank water, getting ph 5.5 and gh 12, is it bad for my cherry shrimps and endlers? I had constant death of shrimps, slow but constant.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Gh 12 too high for shrimps and endlers?

Such high GH will cause your shrimp to have difficulty to molt. Check your dead shrimp whether there is a gap between the head and body. If yes, very high chance they cannot molt properly due to their hard shells

Feedback Score

They don't have the crack you mentioned, I do see some empty shells laying around though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

GH of 12 is on the higher side... but for endlers it should be okay as they prefer harder water anyways. Cherry shrimps can get affected if the change is sudden or too great, but the healthier ones should be able to adapt to it eventually (the deaths might be from other factors, perhaps check the water parameters).

Low pH / high GH conditions are usually characteristic of tanks that use nutrient rich aquasoil (which lower pH) but either have rocks that are releasing minerals, or water hardening chemicals added, or not enough plants to consume the minerals, or have not had enough regular water changes (mainly just top ups), so the GH steadily accumulates over time.

I experienced this effect in my previous office tank, it was just a glass jar and no filter, lots of moss and a few cherry shrimp, but no water changes for many months (just top up water only)... when i de-comm it and tested the water, the GH was like 19-20.

I guess the easiest way to moderate the GH levels is to do more frequent and regular water changes (fresh water is good for the fauna too), our local tap water is around 5-7 GH, so water changes can help to gradually moderate your tanks GH levels.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Thanks. I will try doing weekly changes instead of 2 weekly. I am using composite soil and don't think my plants are taking in enough as my lights aren't on for very long hours. I haven't checked my Nitrate though, not sure if that may be one of the causes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey. But is gh 12 too high for cherry shrimps?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No problem for RCS. They are pretty hardy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore