Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Reverse osmosis water vs de-chlorinated tap water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    So as you all may have known .. i am planning to start a reef aquarium ( soft corals ) with a couple of fishes inside . So is dechlorinated tap water that harmful to my reef tank , if so please state the rationale behind it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Reverse osmosis water vs de-chlorinated tap water

RO is the best because not only chlorine or chloramine is gone also other impurities or metals are gone.

Using dechlorine put more chemicals into the water. Corals are sensitive creatures which so in long run, more impurities will have cumulative effect in the tank water and the corals won't last. If don't want to use RO water, you can buy distilled water from NTUC. I have checked the TDS of Giant's distilled water and found to be around 5 to 10ppm which is not pure as well.

Distilled water isn't as great as portrayed either. Many believe it is very pure, when in fact, it is more of a concentrate of contaminants as all of the contaminants with a lower boiling point than water remain in the water. But reverse osmosis will remove everything from the water, and some systems will remove more than others. I purchased a system that guarantees 0 ppm from Aquasafe Systems, http://www.aquasafecanada.com. I would suggest checking them out, as they have some of the best prices I have found online.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Locally, you can get from here http://ultrapure.com.sg/RO-UP-GSEWatts.html

I have T-off before the last coconut carbon filter to go to the DI resin stage for my aquarium water. RO water for drinking while DI water for the aquariums.

So far I have not changed the RO filter for almost 3 years but the 1st 3 stages of filters, sediment filter, GAC and carbon block, I have regularly changed every 6 months which I bought from an accessories pet shop.