Country
    Singapore

What is the life span of plant?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

I strongly believe that plants are just like any living beings that has certain life span. What is the life span of plants in our tank given the optimal condition for them? 5 yr? 10 yr?.........

Regards,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is the life span of plant?

Plants are actually different from animals, since it's not quite possible to see them as distinct individuals. Imagine an Echinodorus or Cryptocoryne plant that regularly reproduces vegetatively through new offshoots.... each offshoot is an exact replica (or clone) of the mother plant (not an offspring containing genetic material from two parents) and this replica will produce its own offshoots ad infinitum...... so even if the mother plant dies, its very essence still survives through its myriad offshoots and their progeny.

With stem plants, older stems certainly tend to die off after a while, but because optimally growing plants continue to branch off and develop at the tip, I don't think there is any real "life span" involved, as long as the plant enjoys good growing conditions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe some have a certain life span. Eg. Frogbits. The really old ones seem to to turn brown and die off. However, before they die they would have propagated a lot.

Others may keep on going. Eg. I have a E.bleheri that I have kept for 4 years now. It has propagated may times but the plant is still growing and its rhizome is getting longer. I have heard of other older Sword plants.

So - I guess it depends on plant species.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My oldest plant, Echinodorus Osiris has been with me for 8 years already. So I guess as long as there is no major upset to the system, the plants can still be around for a long time to come.

Cheers!